Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #51
tonka

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Agreed. I'll say even further, it is the offseason. The only offseasons this board has been lively are when expectations were elevated and even more so a better outcome was expected than the prior year. It's easy to see last years team was a really good one and special and it was their year to do damage. An air of uncertainty has fans on hold. I think this year will be big on keeping fans. We have pretty much sold out the season before the season started. New money spenders for the program are on board, not necessarily new fans but new support with dollars. So keeping them is important. Most fans know it's a transition year and dont expect a final four, but what will be a successful year I'm sure differs for different fans. Making the tournament is a must imo to keep fans around, but long term (and I'm thinking 2-3 years) the new arena buzz will be done and the second round threshold will be tiresome for even more than it is now. We need a good run in March and need to keep getting exciting players like Clark, Evans and Cumberland. I'm hoping Logan Johnson and maybe one of the 2019 recruits keeps that trend but time will tell.
Well said. One week from now we could be celebrating opening a new arena, a win over Ohio St and a commitment from Symir Torrence. That would be a great start to the season.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 PM   #52
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
We need a good run in March and need to keep getting exciting players like Clark, Evans and Cumberland. I'm hoping Logan Johnson and maybe one of the 2019 recruits keeps that trend but time will tell.

Ive said for a while at a program like ours you just need that 1 guy per class. We've been doing a great job of it. Caupain into Clark into Evans into Cumberland. Last years didn't have that guy but hopefully Johnson can fill that role for us this year. Kind of a double whammy this year with missing on a clear starter from last years class and Evans leaving early.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:58 AM   #53
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Ive said for a while at a program like ours you just need that 1 guy per class. We've been doing a great job of it. Caupain into Clark into Evans into Cumberland. Last years didn't have that guy but hopefully Johnson can fill that role for us this year. Kind of a double whammy this year with missing on a clear starter from last years class and Evans leaving early.
Even though the stats don't support your insight, Keith Williams could very well be that guy from last years class. No, he didn't have an impact as a Freshman as the aforementioned players did, but if he makes a solid jump this season like most of us are expecting, the trend continues. Hell, Trevor Moore could be that guy as well. We will see.

I am excited to see what kind of contribution LJ brings. For a lot of us, if he pans out pretty well this season it will be a huge sigh of relief moving forward with him at the point for the next 3 seasons. I really like Samari Curtis in the '19 class. I hope JC has a great season but returns as a senior because I think that Curtis will benefit from a year backing him up and will be the gem in the '19 class.

As much as THE END of last season sucked. When you step back and look at the program and the roster, there is a lot to be excited about. We have guys that are willing to learn and accept their roles and sooner or later I really believe that will pay dividends in the tournament.

Waiting is tough, but on the chance that it will happen...I know it'll be worth it.

Just my opinion.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #54
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I agree with the 1 guy per class thing, except it falls apart if you have a kid leave early.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #55
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Even though the stats don't support your insight, Keith Williams could very well be that guy from last years class. No, he didn't have an impact as a Freshman as the aforementioned players did, but if he makes a solid jump this season like most of us are expecting, the trend continues. Hell, Trevor Moore could be that guy as well. We will see.

the whole point about the players i listed was there was no waiting to see if they could be that guy. you knew it the first game you saw them. KW and Moore would have to make enormous jumps to get close to where any of those other guys were as sophomores.

They can still be solid 4 year contributors.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #56
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the whole point about the players i listed was there was no waiting to see if they could be that guy. you knew it the first game you saw them. KW and Moore would have to make enormous jumps to get close to where any of those other guys were as sophomores.

They can still be solid 4 year contributors.
I wasn't really arguing your point. With the talent of our starting 5 last season, with a 6th man like Broome, it was going to be tough to have another breakout freshman. Im not saying it wasn't possible, just tougher than it had been the previous 3 seasons.

My point was that if KW or TM have a really solid year...let's say KW for example...and he averages around 10 ppg 4 rpg or close to those numbers, then technically he's right where those other guys were when they were Sophomores.

But I understand your point about the contributions during the actual FRESHMAN season.

Last edited by Cin City; 11-01-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #57
dbieon12
Elite Member

dbieon12 is on a distinguished road
I think Evans is replaceable but not sure about KW and GC. Lots of minutes available. Tre Scott can only give you 40. Where's the other 25-30 F/C minutes coming from?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #58
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
I think Evans is replaceable but not sure about KW and GC. Lots of minutes available. Tre Scott can only give you 40. Where's the other 25-30 F/C minutes coming from?
If it’s not 25-30 from eliel I’d be surprised, I think brooks could be ok in a back up roll but if brooks is playing 20+ minutes a game we r in trouble, hope to see a lot of fredericks at the 4 he should get 20+ minutes a game
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #59
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
If it’s not 25-30 from eliel I’d be surprised, I think brooks could be ok in a back up roll but if brooks is playing 20+ minutes a game we r in trouble, hope to see a lot of fredericks at the 4 he should get 20+ minutes a game

I would be shocked if Nsoseme gets anywhere near 25 minutes. And if he does, that is a bad bad sign for us. As hard as Nsoseme tries, and his effort is off the charts, he brings 0 to the team on one side of the court (well he can grab some offensive boards).

He's a great effort guy to bring in for short stretches, but if you're relying on a guy like him to be a major contributor, you're losing the battle.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #60
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Scott
Evans
Cumberland
Broome
Johnson

Oh wait...
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote