Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #151
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Was talking about everything, not just the shootout. Also why did you stop at the last 8? 🤔
Because we all know that Mick inherited a mess.

Point was. It was an upward trend of getting better.

And Huggins is the one who started the Xavier momentum in the shootout. Like I said in the previous post, he was 3-6

Mick couldn’t win In Cintas, that’s clear.

But he did defend home court for the most part especially in the years where his teams really started to hit their stride.

I want Brannen to improve on it. But I’d be content with just splitting this particular series.

I’d much rather him had an elite 8 run or something. And man, that seems so far fetched from what we see now.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #152
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
There are people on this roster who cant play at this level... Thats on Mick. Talent not being there is on Mick. Brannen needs time to get talent.

Tre Scott was a complete disaster yesterday. Jarron cant continue getting a pass. If hes hurt then sit. He had multiple good looks and threw up straight bricks.

Why didnt Brannen put length on Naji? Thats the one thing Tre could provide
The talent was there last year. Does anyone think Jaevin/MAW aren't at least substitution level for JJ/Broome? And many on here argue that Vogt is at least close to replacement level for Brooks.

The blaming Mick method doesn't work for me and isn't going to fly with a lot of fans.

Diarra gave excellent minutes last night and has the potential to be a great player. I'd argue the issue is Brannen not giving him the minutes to develop him.

Meanwhile Brannen has been giving way too many minutes to McNeal, who he recruited and who clearly doesn't belong on the court. If guys who performed well last year aren't doing well this year, it's likely a system problem. And that's on the coach.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #153
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Couple things.....

I like Jarron Cumberland a lot.... but the dude is so full of himself, we all understand he is hurt and that’s fine, if you are hurt than your are hurt I get it.. I respect trying to tough it out for your team... but this Jarron is a far cry from super man Jarron from last year... I get he missed the summer with an injury and he wasn’t able to practice and get in shape.... Jarron is also notoriously lazy, so I think it was a mix of maybe Jarron being seriously hurt and Jarron milking it... we will never know... but if Jarron doesn’t put the Superman cape on last year , that team sucks ....

Now what pisses me off is seeing Jarron blatantly ignore Brannen when Brannen is jumping up and down screaming at Jarron to “run the damn play”.... Jarron has zero respect for JB and it’s obvious... if you watched the game on TV , go back and watch it and you will see when Jarron is coming out of the timeout huddle, JB says something to him and Jarron shakes his head and rolls his eyes

What does John Brannen have to gain by ceding his first season as Coach to a guy with one season left who may not even be in the D league next year... Brannen has compromised plenty for him and Jarrons usage is high and they run a ton through him... Jarron just isn’t making the plays and shots we are used to him making..... if you are hurt than sit... If Jarron is mad or upset with someone he should look in the mirror ....... all in all this team is not good and the next 3 games will tell us how the season is going to go
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #154
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Couple things.....

I like Jarron Cumberland a lot.... but the dude is so full of himself, we all understand he is hurt and that’s fine, if you are hurt than your are hurt I get it.. I respect trying to tough it out for your team... but this Jarron is a far cry from super man Jarron from last year... I get he missed the summer with an injury and he wasn’t able to practice and get in shape.... Jarron is also notoriously lazy, so I think it was a mix of maybe Jarron being seriously hurt and Jarron milking it... we will never know... but if Jarron doesn’t put the Superman cape on last year , that team sucks ....

Now what pisses me off is seeing Jarron blatantly ignore Brannen when Brannen is jumping up and down screaming at Jarron to “run the damn play”.... Jarron has zero respect for JB and it’s obvious... if you watched the game on TV , go back and watch it and you will see when Jarron is coming out of the timeout huddle, JB says something to him and Jarron shakes his head and rolls his eyes

What does John Brannen have to gain by ceding his first season as Coach to a guy with one season left who may not even be in the D league next year... Brannen has compromised plenty for him and Jarrons usage is high and they run a ton through him... Jarron just isn’t making the plays and shots we are used to him making..... if you are hurt than sit... If Jarron is mad or upset with someone he should look in the mirror ....... all in all this team is not good and the next 3 games will tell us how the season is going to go
Brannen stands to potentially lose his job and perhaps his head coaching career by not ceding to Jarron.

If this years team misses the NCAA tournament. Fans are not going to be happy that Brannen came in to a team predicted to be top 25 (top 15 by many), with the conference player of the year and couldn't keep the team together, couldn't work with the conference player of the year and couldn't make the NCAA tournament.

Barring a miracle we aren't making the NCAA tournament next year. So if we can't make it this year, two straight years of missing the NCAA tournament for a team that made it 9 straight years is going to make a lot fans turn on him. It might be enough to get him fired (especially with a new AD).

Last edited by skyblade; 12-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #155
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Brannen stands to potentially lose his job and perhaps his head coaching career by not ceding to Jarron.

If this years team misses the NCAA tournament. Fans are not going to be happy that Brannen came in to a team predicted to be top 25 (top 15 by many), with the conference player of the year and couldn't keep the team together, couldn't work with the conference player of the year and couldn't make the NCAA tournament.

Barring a miracle we aren't making the NCAA tournament next year. So if we can't make it this year, two straight years of missing the NCAA tournament for a team that made it 9 straight years is going to make a lot fans turn on him. It might be enough to get him fired (especially with a new AD).
Will everyone be upset and mad if he misses the tourny this year.... hell yes... but they will not fire him after one year....Brannen has done plenty of ceding to Jarron, at some point it’s on the player to produce.... which he is not ... Keith is flourishing and MAW looks awfully promising you can tell who has bought in and who has not
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #156
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Will everyone be upset and mad if he misses the tourny this year.... hell yes... but they will not fire him after one year....Brannen has done plenty of ceding to Jarron, at some point it’s on the player to produce.... which he is not ... Keith is flourishing and MAW looks awfully promising you can tell who has bought in and who has not
Brannen has to find a way to sneak into the tourney. Thats incredibly important.

MAW needs to start. He can score. He is long. He is young.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #157
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Imagine blaming brannen for Cumberland missing all his shots and turning the ball over all the time.

Brannen is putting the ball in Cumberland’s hands, Cumberland just isn’t producing. He’s basically playing on 1 leg, but Cumberland is being put in a spot to succeed.

When we came into last season we all said Cumberland would have to play like SK for us to make the tournament. He did and we made it.

It’s the same exact scenario this year. Only Cumberland is playing at the lowest level of his career.

He has to turn it around for us to save this season. There was nobody else left in the program to get the job done. This is what happens when you build entire teams around 1 guy and then that player gets hurt.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #158
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

If I’m Jaevin I’m thinking what the hell did I get myself into.... I turned down Michigan for this s***
Old 12-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #159
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
The talent was there last year. Does anyone think Jaevin/MAW aren't at least substitution level for JJ/Broome? And many on here argue that Vogt is at least close to replacement level for Brooks.

The blaming Mick method doesn't work for me and isn't going to fly with a lot of fans.

Diarra gave excellent minutes last night and has the potential to be a great player. I'd argue the issue is Brannen not giving him the minutes to develop him.

Meanwhile Brannen has been giving way too many minutes to McNeal, who he recruited and who clearly doesn't belong on the court. If guys who performed well last year aren't doing well this year, it's likely a system problem. And that's on the coach.
The talent wasn’t there last year. We got killed more often than not every time we played a good team. We just didn’t play many good teams. Xavier was terrible, UCLA fires their coach, and it took 3 times to beat Houston.

Also there is zero proof Diarra is good or will be good. He’s hurts the team every time he’s on the court.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #160
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The talent wasn’t there last year. We got killed more often than not every time we played a good team. We just didn’t play many good teams. Xavier was terrible, UCLA fires their coach, and it took 3 times to beat Houston.

Also there is zero proof Diarra is good or will be good. He’s hurts the team every time he’s on the court.
We had one loss to a team outside the kenpom top 50 last year. We weren't a great team, but last year was expected to be a down year, this year was supposed to be the we'd be great. Cronin consistently was able to win with teams like this and consistently beat bad teams.

We don't have a bad loss so far this year. But we have two OT wins and one one point win against teams below 150 kenpom. It doesn't inspire confidence that we are going to win once we start playing good teams (the stretch of our next four games).

Diarra was at least +6 in the first half versus Xavier. He came in and we went on a run that was largely because of him (his defense and rebounding). He's our best defensive player and best rebounder.