Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #811
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
This could affect a lot of senior transfers in the portal. Players who have already transferred might choose to stay now. DDJ could also be affected, since it looks like he would only be able to pursue a waiver if he has graduated.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #812
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Verbal Commits has a column indicating immediate eligibility, with Koval listed as "Yes". I'm guessing that's for the old rules though.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #813
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Matt Norlander suggests that a graduate transfer will likely receive a waiver if they pursue a degree that was not offered at their previous school.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #814
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Rumor is that the NCAA may make it harder to get a waiver now. I hope Koval gets a waiver (don't think he's worth it if he doesn't), but it doesn't seem like a sure thing.
My interpretation after reading the new rules is that there won't be any waivers granted for undergraduates after the one-time free transfer is used. The only exception is if the program was discontinued or the scholarship was dropped, which isn't relevant to basketball.

For graduates, the rules say there will still be a waiver process in place for players who have already transferred. How difficult it will be to obtain that waiver remains to be seen.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #815
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Matt Norlander suggests that a graduate transfer will likely receive a waiver if they pursue a degree that was not offered at their previous school.
Koval is looking at a graduate degree in accounting or taxation, which are both offered at UNCG. So that loophole won't apply for him.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #816
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Koval is looking at a graduate degree in accounting or taxation, which are both offered at UNCG. So that loophole won't apply for him.

IMO, there is no way Korval is coming in to sit this year and waste a scholership for 2 years. I just don't think there is any way the NCAA can allow these kids to come back for a 5th or 6th year and tell them you have to sit, especially when most of them have been in the portal since before they announced this new rule.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #817
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I still think if you leave because of a coaching change and the previous school doesn’t fight it, then it’s ok
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #818
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
DDJ is on board for next season according to the Justin Williams article. Also seems like Banks is going to be on scholarship, it isn't going to be withdrawn if they want it for another player.

Lakhin is the only question mark remaining. Seems like that decision is on hold until Lakhin comes back from Russia (beginning of June I believe).

So we have 2-3 open scholarships remaining depending on Lakhin.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #819
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
coaching change. He will play this year. id bet my house on it
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #820
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
DDJ is on board for next season according to the Justin Williams article. Also seems like Banks is going to be on scholarship, it isn't going to be withdrawn if they want it for another player.

Lakhin is the only question mark remaining. Seems like that decision is on hold until Lakhin comes back from Russia (beginning of June I believe).

So we have 2-3 open scholarships remaining depending on Lakhin.
If they need a spot banks already knows the deal. He came to UC with the entire purpose of being a walkon. Him being on scholarship now doesnt mean anything other than he doesnt have to pay to go to school for spring semester or summer classes. Very very slight chance he stays on scholarship, and if they need the spot there is a 0% chance he stays on scholarship
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote