Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #101
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
You know, it's funny you say that. Implying that somehow I'm representing myself as a "basketball god".

Not but a few posts ago you said you looked forward to coming back here and calling me a moron this time next year. You also said, twice, that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Am I opinionated? Sure. But I'm not exactly running around telling others they have no idea what they're talking about and calling them morons either.

If anyone is representing themselves as a basketball God or an authority it's you.

I'm just sharing my own opinions, and I think I've been respectful to the others here while doing so. You, not so much...
If you’re complaining a month in, I think it’s fair to question if you know what you’re talking about. Maybe you do, but this is an odd take.,
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #102
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
I will say this, we'll just have to wait and see.

I could very well be wrong and this team could actually be pretty good. Maybe they win 20+ games.

To be honest, if Miller can even get them into the NIT then I would consider that a success. Just because I'm negative about the job he's done thus far does not mean I'm putting unfair expectations on him. If he can this team to top 5 in the conference and win 18 or more games I'm a happy camper in year 1.

All this said, I think this is around a .500 level team as it sits. If you pick some abitrary ranking system then I would consider them probably somewhere between 75 and 125. It looks to me like it's got mid major, and not a good one, written all over it. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #103
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
In Koval's junior season at Central Arkansas, they played at Baylor, Georgetown, Duke, Wichita St, and Marquette. He averaged 4 blocks in those games, and he scored 21 against Georgetown.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #104
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I think there is a perception among a lot of fans that since there are over 1500 players who have entered the portal, there must be hundreds who are capable of starting on top 50 teams. That's just not true. I have been tracking rebounders for weeks now, and the list of guys who are simply above average for the 4/5 position is only around 20. There aren't that many starting caliber player out there, and every team is competing for them.
Sounds like Big Vik is coming back so that final piece is going to have to be a scoring wing/guard go to guy.

Unless someone transfers late. Then we add another impact guy
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #105
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Same goes for this defensive wing you spoke of. It';s a lot easier putting up decent analytics when you're playing Little Sisters of the Poor week in and week out.
The defensive wing played at Clemson. You think the ACC is the Little Sisters of the Poor? These are bizarre takes.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #106
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's plenty of better guys in the portal than what we got. Period.
Define "plenty". Then compare that number to the number of spots that top 50 teams are looking to fill. We got 1 guy who would start on a lot of top 50 teams if healthy (Newman), and another who would start on most teams that don't have an upperclassman big blocking his path (Oby). How many teams are doing better than us in the portal? Do you think there are 50?
Old 05-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #107
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If you’re complaining a month in, I think it’s fair to question if you know what you’re talking about. Maybe you do, but this is an odd take.,
Not sure what the amount of time in has to do with anything.

We had 4 coaching spots to fill and 6 players spots, for a total of 10 spots. 9 of those have been filled now. I'm judging him on that.

It doesn't matter if it's one week, one month, two months, or 6 months. He's elected to fill out this staff and roster in a way that I don't think is at all impressive. It's as simple as that.

Maybe he really turns on the recruting next year. Maybe I'm wrong about these UNCG guys. Who knows? All I can talk about right now is what I've seen thus far. And IMHO what I've seen leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope I'm wrong. I do apologize for continued to defend my take. I've probably made my point by now but I keep getting pulled back towards the conversation. I know I'm in the minority, so I'll stop now.

PS If it's any consolation I could NOT be any more excited for football. I can't wait. I'd hibernate these next 3 months if I could. Go Bearcats!
Old 05-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #108
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
The defensive wing played at Clemson. You think the ACC is the Little Sisters of the Poor? These are bizarre takes.
Oh, please. I thought you were talking about one of the UNCG guys on the wing. (You didn't name them, you just said we got one of the better defensive wings in the portal).

It should have clear when I referenced Little Sisters of the Poor after laying out a Southern Conference schedule that I was under the impression it was a UNCG player you were speaking of.

Sorry I haven't got my calculator out to run on the numbers so I can immediately identify who it is you're referencing. My bad for being so bizzare.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #109
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, please. I thought you were talking about one of the UNCG guys on the wing. (You didn't name them, you just said we got one of the better defensive wings in the portal).

It should have clear when I referenced Little Sisters of the Poor after laying out a Southern Conference schedule that I was under the impression it was a UNCG player you were speaking of.

Sorry I haven't got my calculator out to run on the numbers so I can immediately identify who it is you're referencing. My bad for being so bizzare.
You lumped all of these guys together in your first rant about how they are all tied to UNCG but now that you have been called out for it...you want us to break out the ACC players for you?

Not to mention you didn't even know who the hell Sedz was talking about. Who did you think it was? Do you know anything about these players?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #110
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You lumped all of these guys together in your first rant about how they are all tied to UNCG but now that you have been called out for it...you want us to break out the ACC players for you?

Not to mention you didn't even know who the hell Sedz was talking about. Who did you think it was? Do you know anything about these players?
No, I initially lumped them all together for coming from a school in North Carolina.

UNCG - North Carolina
Clemson - North Carolina
Wake - North Carolina

It makes me question if this coach can recruit on a national level.

Yeah, I did not know who he was talking about. All he said was we picked up one of the best defensive wings in the portal. I'm sorry I'm not analytics obsessed like some of the people on here and wasn't immediately able to discern that meant Newman III.

I'm finally bowing it out. Promise. I've made my point, and anyone is more than welcome to disagree with it. We'll all have to wait and see.

I'll leave you guys back to your board now. Go Bearcats.