Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #181
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We literally had half our roster transfer to mid-major schools like UNCG, from a team, you claimed was a top 15 roster.
Ok who said otherwise?
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #182
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I'm also not going to pretend that 9 pts a game as a sophmore while playing 31 minutes a game and shooting 30% from 3 is some incredible feat.
Who is saying that's an incredible feat? In fact, who is saying anything about Newman being great on offense? He looks like a Rashad Bishop type player, a versatile defender who averaged 7 ppg on 32% from three. Bishop was very valuable.

Most of the experienced players we brought in are defenders. Stop using ppg, it doesn't reflect what they contribute.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #183
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Mick got the transfer from Texas Mike Williams? I believe he was all American also. Crazy how mick basically recruited the best players ever at UC. I think y’all fail realize how good he was recruiting before he said F it. Working elite camps helped Mick build relationships that you can’t build without being around elite kids at camps.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #184
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Also I love Wes built a relationship locally in Carolinas. Going forward I will like see roster built with Ohio or local players. We should at least ALWAYS have 5-6 in state or local kids on team
Old 05-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #185
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Who is saying that's an incredible feat? In fact, who is saying anything about Newman being great on offense? He looks like a Rashad Bishop type player, a versatile defender who averaged 7 ppg on 32% from three. Bishop was very valuable.

Most of the experienced players we brought in are defenders. Stop using ppg, it doesn't reflect what they contribute.
Can I use assists? Cuz he averaged 2.2 in 32 minutes of play.

Can I use rebounds? Cuz he averaged 3.9 in 32 minutes of play.

Can I use 3pt%? Cuz he shot 30%.

Can I use FT%? Cuz he shot 72%.

NONE of these stats are impressive on the offensive side of the ball. They're, as a whole, completely mediocre and that's probably being generous.

Look, if this is a guy you're bringing in to fill one of your last spots on the roster, or to fill one specific need while the rest of your starting spots are filled with legitimate talent then I'm not going to be that bummed by it. I wouldn't be excited but it would kind of "meh".

But what we're talking about is a team that has no real scorers outside of Davenport. And even him probably should be the 3rd through 5th scoring option on good teams. We're talking about this guy being one of our better signings. We're talking about adding him while also adding 3 more of his soon to be UNCG teammates.

I would have hoped the best Under 40 coach in America could attract better talent with the minutes he has to give, to a team playing in the conference we do and with the facilities we have.

PS Kinda off topic, but I actually looked up the best coaches under 40 list not too long ago. When I saw that Travis Steele was #2 I put a lot less stock into it.

Last edited by MDW79; 05-18-2021 at 11:00 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #186
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Also I love Wes built a relationship locally in Carolinas. Going forward I will like see roster built with Ohio or local players. We should at least ALWAYS have 5-6 in state or local kids on team
dude.....Between UC, Ohio State, Dayton, Xavier and then Huggins poaching local players at WVU. Then other area schools like UK, Louisville and Indiana. We may get local guys but 5 or 6 solid guys just from the state of Ohio is an extremely tall task, Huggins didn't even do that when he was here. With that said, there is no excuse if we don't get Paul McMillan who grew up in Clifton, he is priority # 1 for the 2022 class. I'd love to get Evan Mahaffey from Moeller, and then Rayvon Griffith from Taft should be priority #1 for the 2023 class
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #187
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can I use assists? Cuz he averaged 2.2 in 32 minutes of play.
Can I use rebounds? Cuz he averaged 3.9 in 32 minutes of play.
Can I use 3pt%? Cuz he shot 30%.
Can I use FT%? Cuz he shot 72%.
2 assists, 4 rebounds, and 72% FT are about average for a wing. 30% from three is bad. In general he was a below average offensive player in the ACC, which probably makes him average to above average in the AAC. Nobody has really said anything different. You continue to ignore defense, which is where he is most valuable. Same with Ado and Koval.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #188
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

100% agree, they might not be high caliber players but I see the vision and pieces Wes put together to build his culture. We need another weapon on wings and I think we set for next year.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #189
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
dude.....Between UC, Ohio State, Dayton, Xavier and then Huggins poaching local players at WVU. Then other area schools like UK, Louisville and Indiana. We may get local guys but 5 or 6 solid guys just from the state of Ohio is an extremely tall task, Huggins didn't even do that when he was here. With that said, there is no excuse if we don't get Paul McMillan who grew up in Clifton, he is priority # 1 for the 2022 class. I'd love to get Evan Mahaffey from Moeller, and then Rayvon Griffith from Taft should be priority #1 for the 2023 class
Bro will you ALWAYS stop having excuses or arguments? None of schools you listed besides Huggins/Martin been getting locals. If you have 2-3 local scholarship guys then add 2 local walk ons that’s your 5-6 local guys. Huggins ALWAYS had cincy/Cleveland guys on roster
Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #190
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Danny Fortson
Damon Flint
Dontonio Wingfield
Keith Legree (Transfer)
Demarr Johnson
Kenny Satterfield
James White (Transfer)
Lance Born Ready Stephenson

This is just off the top of my head but I'm 99% positive these guys were all McDAA's. Not sure if I missed any.

Fwiw, I didn't really expect McDAA's but would have preferred at least 1 or 2 top 75 guys in the portal.

PS You might want to check with itsamemario. I'm just a moron so this list could be all jackd up. I'm sure he knows a lot more than me.
you are a moron. Im not the only one here who thinks so. But just so we are clear here. You are complaining about the first class Wes signs while bitching at the current state of the program, but you have to go back to 2009 to find a mcdonalds all american(who noone wanted btw) and then all the way back to Huggs years?

So I sure hope you complained all 12 of the 13 years mick was a coach here since he only had 1 mcdonalds all american that noone else would sign.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote