Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
UCPT99

UCPT99 is on a distinguished road
Paul Brown Games

While the Oklahoma game was great and allowed a greater percentage of Bearcat fans the availability of tailgaiting, night games at Nippert are the main reason we have season tickets. No other sporting event like it.
UCPT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
I like the game on campus. Home field advantage plus Nippert is cool. Money is always the reason.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Anyone else worried about what ticket sales are going to do this year? The new found love for UC football didn't exactly leave an entrenched fanbase and I have a pessimistic feeling that we will lose a lot of those bandwaggoners after our 4-8 showing last year. Season ticket sales will definately take a hit and I can't imagine WV and Lville will be a big draw to the casual fan like an Oklahoma would consider we play them every year. If the house is full, it won't be with the locals. I hate to think of playing a road game at home. PBS means nothing to the players so you take an unfamiliar stadium and a hostile crowd into two big conference home games. I know money is the name of the game but I don't like it. I think they are taking a big chance with this one.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Anyone else worried about what ticket sales are going to do this year? The new found love for UC football didn't exactly leave an entrenched fanbase and I have a pessimistic feeling that we will lose a lot of those bandwaggoners after our 4-8 showing last year. Season ticket sales will definately take a hit and I can't imagine WV and Lville will be a big draw to the casual fan like an Oklahoma would consider we play them every year. If the house is full, it won't be with the locals. I hate to think of playing a road game at home. PBS means nothing to the players so you take an unfamiliar stadium and a hostile crowd into two big conference home games. I know money is the name of the game but I don't like it. I think they are taking a big chance with this one.
I think it will be fine. The season ticket sales may drop off slightly but I don't expect a large decline. As far as playing games at PBS and home field advantage- it depends on how the team performs. If they win some games early I guarantee you there will be 45,000+ UC fans at those games... now if they continue to play the way they did last year...
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
I think it will be fine. The season ticket sales may drop off slightly but I don't expect a large decline. As far as playing games at PBS and home field advantage- it depends on how the team performs. If they win some games early I guarantee you there will be 45,000+ UC fans at those games... now if they continue to play the way they did last year...
I hope you're right. I just hear such disdain for Butch Jones. He makes Cronin look like the prom queen. This town for some reason has an unhealthy obsession with its coaches.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #16
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I hope you're right. I just hear such disdain for Butch Jones. He makes Cronin look like the prom queen. This town for some reason has an unhealthy obsession with its coaches.
Butch Jones will be a fine coach. Kelly did not leave much depth especially on the defensive side of the ball. Let's not forget the amount of points the opponents scored against UC the last 5 games Kelly was coach.

He was either not able to recruit to the defensive side of the ball, or neglected it to some degree. Either way, Jones payed the price his first season as head coach and needs to build line strength on both sides of the ball and linebacker depth.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Butch Jones will be a fine coach. Kelly did not leave much depth especially on the defensive side of the ball. Let's not forget the amount of points the opponents scored against UC the last 5 games Kelly was coach.

He was either not able to recruit to the defensive side of the ball, or neglected it to some degree. Either way, Jones payed the price his first season as head coach and needs to build line strength on both sides of the ball and linebacker depth.
I completely agree. Not only that but I think he had a hard time getting his players adjusted to his strenuous practices. Players got comfortable with Kelly's easy practices and didn't want to work hard by the end of the season when the losses starting piling. Jones has shown a good job of bringing in better recruits. I think Kelly got used to having quick, athletic kids being able to play defense on the lower levels as opposed to strength and when he got into a BCS program those type of players didn't pan out as well. I'm not going to suggest Kelly left when he did for this reason (he left for his dream job plain and simple), but he had to know that team he assembled would struggle. I hate to say it but the more time goes on the more you realize Dantonio is a heck of a coach/recruiter. Narduzzi, too. Kelly was about the best motivator you'll see in a coach and he inherited a team of hard-nosed football players. The results speak for themselves.

I hope you didn't take my response as being critical. I was speaking for what I hear. I just know the average fan out there right now wants to cut ties with him already. That's what makes me wonder what type of support this team will see this year.