Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #171
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
So Wes has to fill a damn roster for this upcoming season. Has been on the job a month to do so, and you are talking about 8th graders? okay bud
Therealmick is something... I’ll say that
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #172
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
How does an "elite rebounder" only average 6.8 per 27 minutes? David Dejulius averaged 4.5 playing the same minutes from the PG position.

This dude played serious minutes for 4 years and was a 5-7 pt scorer. Never imrpoved his numbers in his entire time there.

I'm supposed to be impressed by this? This is a big get? Gimme a break.

We've now gotten to point where we need to pretend like Wake Forest and Mississipi State's 5th and 6th best players are going to make us a legitimate team. And then add them to a bunch of UNCG transfers and pretend like we're doing good.

This is a joke. Our roster is straight garbage by Cincinnati standards.
The difference will be coaching. At least give Coach Wes a chance to show what he can do with player development and fit into his system. Also, consider how late in the game we were to legitimately recruiting the portal. You are correct, we have had more talent or at least higher rated players over the past 10-12 years. However, considering the timing, this is a better roster than I thought we could pull together the day Wes was hired. UC was never really a place that recruited McD All-Americans (I think DerMarr was the only one) and we have only had a handfull of 5 star rated guys. This isn't Kentucky or Duke, nor are we willing to pay extra benefits like Memphis 'Zona, Kansas, and other "top tier" programs caught in the FBI wire fraud scandal. I do think this is a much better roster than Brannen had his first two years, and we should finally see the Defensive toughness we have come to expect to go along with a truly uptempo offense. None of our recruits are expected to be first or second team AAC, much less All-Americans and I hope we are surprised by the results Coach Wes and the players deliver.

P.S. I like the fact we are the underdog, overlooked and will be playing with a chip on our shoulders. That is when Cincinnati basketball has produced or over-delivered.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #173
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
So Wes has to fill a damn roster for this upcoming season. Has been on the job a month to do so, and you are talking about 8th graders? okay bud
10th grade now buddy! Would be top 3 in Ohio if he was SR this year. We talking one and done kid with significant ties to city. X was his 1st offer
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #174
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_N_Black_Attack View Post
UC was never really a place that recruited McD All-Americans (I think DerMarr was the only one) and we have only had a handfull of 5 star rated guys. .
Danny Fortson
Damon Flint
Dontonio Wingfield
Keith Legree (Transfer)
Demarr Johnson
Kenny Satterfield
James White (Transfer)
Lance Born Ready Stephenson

This is just off the top of my head but I'm 99% positive these guys were all McDAA's. Not sure if I missed any.

Fwiw, I didn't really expect McDAA's but would have preferred at least 1 or 2 top 75 guys in the portal.

PS You might want to check with itsamemario. I'm just a moron so this list could be all jackd up. I'm sure he knows a lot more than me.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #175
MDW79

Found this video on Adu on BCJ. Seems like a really likeable guy. I'll be rooting for him.

Not to beat a dead horse but my intention when I've complained is never to rip on these individual players. It may seem that way but I'm directing it more at the coach and the overall approach. I still can't believe how fast he gave those 4 schollys to the UNCG kids. It was like he couldn't even wait to see who else was out there. (Ody and Adu are perfect examples of better talent than them)

This guy definitely fills a need. We need big guys who match up against teams like Houston and Memphis. This kid should be well prepared in playing D and rebounding. My main gripe is not getting a scorer or two and settling on familiarity.

Anyways, here's the vid. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UOsPi37l8

Last edited by MDW79; 05-18-2021 at 09:54 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #176
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t mind this roster. Maybe I’m optimistic, I usually am. Newman and ody are dropping a league, which is usually a lot easier than moving up a league. There is no reason they can’t average double digits. I think ody could be a star in this league. There just isn’t many big guys that can play. Ado could definitely be productive. He just put up similar numbers to brooks in a similar league to brooks. And people were really mad that brooks left. We already have Davenport and Mikey who can develop in to all league guys. Davenport should have been all league this year. I don’t know much about the UNCG guys but if they can give us anything, that’s a bonus.

We still need some big scorers but we can definitely compete in the league with this roster.
Yeah, this is much more of a Mick type roster that has you asking where is the offense coming from?

The defense is obvious, Ado, Ody and Newman should all be elite. I expect the guards to bring it as well, if they don't there's plenty of depth on the bench to find someone who does. JD may be our weakest defender who plays regularly and he's still pretty good on defense (plus he should be our best on offense). When you sub in a guy with 300 career blocks (Koval) and the defense gets worse, you're in good shape.

On offense though, there are going to be a lot of question marks. Not a ton of reliable 3-point shooting on the team. Not a ton of scorers. We are going to need guys to step up and take on scoring roles that they haven't in the past. With all the new pieces coming in as well, it may take a while for things to mesh.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #177
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Found this video on Adu on BCJ. Seems like a really likeable guy. I'll be rooting for him.

Not to beat a dead horse but my intention when I've complained is never to ri[ on these individual players. It may seem that way but I'm directing it more at the coach and the overall approach. I still can't believe how fast he gave those 4 schollys to the UNCG kids. It was like he couldn't even wait to see who else was out there. (Ody and Adu are perfect examples of better talent than them)

This guy definitely fills a need. We need big guys who match up against teams like Houston and Memphis. This kid should be well prepared in playing D and rebounding. My main grip is not getting a scorer or two and settling on familiarity.

I know you are incredibly biased, but building culture is an important part of building a winning team. Even if the 3 UNCG guys weren't that good, he knows what he is getting terms of culture.

But let's be honest, if Newman had come straight from Clemson you'd probably be grouping him in the Ody and Ado category. Hensley was higher rated than Eason, he may well end up being the best player we've added long term. Koval is a one year rental, who knows Wes's system and plays the position we most needed help.

So really if you want to question additions, McGinnis is the only place you're going to get traction. Wes knows him though, so let's wait and see what he can do.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #178
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I know you are incredibly biased, but building culture is an important part of building a winning team. Even if the 3 UNCG guys weren't that good, he knows what he is getting terms of culture.

But let's be honest, if Newman had come straight from Clemson you'd probably be grouping him in the Ody and Ado category. Hensley was higher rated than Eason, he may well end up being the best player we've added long term. Koval is a one year rental, who knows Wes's system and plays the position we most needed help.

So really if you want to question additions, McGinnis is the only place you're going to get traction. Wes knows him though, so let's wait and see what he can do.
McGinnis is basically another Mason Madson ( who UC fans love) and who wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Gabe. Remember when everyone thought Mason was just a throw in? and then we saw him play and people were like wow he can really shoot. Perfect example of just lets see how it plays out. McGinnis may suck but if he comes in and starts draining 3's I guarantee the perception of him "being just a UNCG guy" will change.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #179
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not to beat a dead horse but my intention when I've complained is never to rip on these individual players. It may seem that way but I'm directing it more at the coach and the overall approach. I still can't believe how fast he gave those 4 schollys to the UNCG kids. It was like he couldn't even wait to see who else was out there. (Ody and Adu are perfect examples of better talent than them)

This guy definitely fills a need. We need big guys who match up against teams like Houston and Memphis. This kid should be well prepared in playing D and rebounding. My main gripe is not getting a scorer or two and settling on familiarity.

I hear what you are saying about the UNCG guys, but we needed 8 players. He doesn’t have time to recruit 8 high end players from start to finish. He had to fill out a roster. The positives are 1 is a senior stop gap. 1 is a shooter, those can usually play at any level. One was a 3-4 star recruit that can probably be at least decent if nothing else. It’s not like we can’t afford to give these guys a chance. It also helps some of the new players to learn what the coach wants to do.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #180
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

1.)I know you are incredibly biased, but building culture is an important part of building a winning team. Even if the 3 UNCG guys weren't that good, he knows what he is getting terms of culture.

2.) But let's be honest, if Newman had come straight from Clemson you'd probably be grouping him in the Ody and Ado category.

3.) Hensley was higher rated than Eason, he may well end up being the best player we've added long term.

4.) Koval is a one year rental, who knows Wes's system and plays the position we most needed help.

5.) So really if you want to question additions, McGinnis is the only place you're going to get traction. Wes knows him though, so let's wait and see what he can do.
1.) I mean, if wanting better players and not wanting to settle on bringing half a team over from UNCG me biased then I guess I'm biased. As far as culture, a lot of coaches are able to be build culture while also securing legitimate talent. It's not an either/or situation.

2.) No, not at all. Ody and Adu fill desperate needs. We had no legitimate post players. I'm not at all impressed by a 3 pt a game JR from Clemson. I'm not not going to pretend like a knee scope is the equivalent of a ACL/MCL tear and explains away his performance as Jr.. I'm also not going to pretend that 9 pts a game as a sophmore while playing 31 minutes a game and shooting 30% from 3 is some incredible feat.

3.) Hensley's ranking is bs. It's from one random service that shows up on his composite score on 247. None of the legitimate scouting sites even ranked him. His offers don't support being top 150 either. And more than anything his play doesn't. How can you be a top 150 player and commit to UNCG and average 1.8 a game?

4.) I think the signings of Ody and Adu show just how little Koval offers. There's a reason he only played 19 minutes a game in the Southern and it wasn't foul trouble.

5.) I question all of them as a whole. You don't get a new job with a 300% increase in pay and bring over 4 guys from the Southern Conference. If you were to do that (you shouldn't) you could at least bring your best players. Instead we got the 5th, 7th, and 9th guys in minutes.