Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
AAABearcat

AAABearcat is on a distinguished road
Sporting News preseason top 100

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-...season-top-100

41st for UC? really? A complete lack of respect and another nail on the perception cross of BCS rankings. You would think the last 2 years would garner more respect than this; but it is blatantly obvious that some worship at the alters of their favorite conferences.
This preview would be laughable if it were not for the impact on the final rankings; giving a tacit approval and cover for the actual voters to downgrade UC's rankings.
Another year of starting at the bottom of the hill having to climb over teams to reach the BCS top with no chance of making the championship game; unless all the teams higher lose.
AAABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
AAABearcat

In 2009; the preseason average consensus ranking for UC was 32; which includes a computer poll, only Athlon had UC in the top 25.
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/p...ison_2009.html

In 2008, UC was not ranked in any of the preseason mags; but the computers had them at 17 with a final of 19.
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/p...ison_2008.html

After 2 years of being dead wrong on UC; they still are not giving UC any respect.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
I have never seen the hatred/disrespect for a program on a national level that UC has. I can understand why people hate Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, et al--- they are a historically successful program with a lot of $$$ and people are envious. On the flip side, people usually always love the underdog, the little guy who has come from nowhere--- Boise State, TCU, Utah, USF, Kanasas State, Northwestern of the 90's----- but....

They do not love UC in that same way. UC is personified as the intruder who is trying to break into your home. UC is the enemy in their eyes. They go out of their way to throw out insults, they pray for UC's demise, they mock the schools academics and they all claim that UC will be once again C-USA bound within a few years after the other conferences gobble up the BE football schools (except UC of course).

I just don't understand why they are this way against a particular schools... particularly considering what I noted above about people backing David vs. Goliath.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I like it.

They are ALWAYS looking at why we can't win the Big East.

In 2008 everyone said without Mauk we were screwed. Maybe could finish 3rd but probably 4th or 5th.

In 2009 everyone jumped on that we lost 10 starters on defense but they never cared to look and see we have tons on contribitors back. Our defense really only have to replace 4 or 5.

In 2010 it is that Brian Kelly is no longer there. Nevermind that our offense is going to be downright sick and our defense is going to be improved (no more Bob Diaco).

We will be picked to finish 3rd or so and Pitt will be picked to win it again. That is fine. Zach Collaros is a winner. He has won everywhere he has played. I am OK with it.

IS IT SEPT 4th YET?????
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
AAABearcat

The only problem with these pollsters picking UC low is that at the end of year, perception matters to the bowl representatives. It's one thing to pick UC 3rd/4th in the league, but when the 2nd team is a top 25 pick and you are 41st, it can have an impact on bowl reps at the end of the year. If we do well, we need a bowl that pays more than what our perception will get us.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
AAABearcat

I forgot to mention the 800lb gorilla in the corner, BCS expansion talks and the perception of UC's program; these polls do not help us.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I like being the underdog, but being ranked so low makes it hard to rise to the top even if the team wins. Bias towards other schools and conferences needs to change (By our doing).
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Keep in mind our ranking int he AP Poll and The Coaches Poll is what matter, not The Sporting News 100. I am guessing the AP and The Coaches Poll will have us higher than 41 (although I am not confident we will be in their top 25).

What is scary is that some of the coaches and AP writers are too lazy to investigate themselves and will use TSN, Phil Steele, et al. to justify their picks. Remember last year that guy down in Louisiana did not even have UC in the Top 25 for like half of the season (or maybe even later IIRC).
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I am hoping for 17-23. Get inside the Top 25 and if you start 4-0 we are Top 15-10
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Kingsley Court
Elite Member

Kingsley Court will become famous soon enough
You are going to say you don't understand the ranking? UC just lost their coach, two/three years of good football isn't going to change the voters mind, especially after a coaching change. 41 seems a little bit low, but I'm not mad they aren't in the top 25.

People don't love boise state and TCU. It has taken a while for Boise State to get the respect they have now. As for TCU, don't they have almost everybody returning from the year they had last year, including the coach?! I think you guys are trying a little to hard to be "disrespected." If Kelly stayed I would have been shocked to not be in the top 25, but not now after he left.

"You better answer my texts or your banned."-Thegreatone
Kingsley Court is offline   Reply With Quote