Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Agreed but I think you'll agree with me on this. It's not the same thing.
Absolutely. makes you wonder what the difference is? Coaching? Effort? Team chemistry?

Idk, I just really thought UC should have been better last year. I understand the process, but they had some pretty solid talent.

Im not sure this team is over the hump yet, hopefully im wrong...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
rallie25

rallie25 is on a distinguished road
I've been trying to figure this team out too! I wonder if the players are really not that good are the coach just can't get the best out of them! I know Mick teams when he had Toyloy, Cincy St kid they played hard! With this group mainly Gates they seem to not care! I wonder if any other coach can get Gates going are if thats who he is! I do see hope with Killa,JJ and the recruits! Your thoughts!
rallie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallie25 View Post
I've been trying to figure this team out too! I wonder if the players are really not that good are the coach just can't get the best out of them! I know Mick teams when he had Toyloy, Cincy St kid they played hard! With this group mainly Gates they seem to not care! I wonder if any other coach can get Gates going are if thats who he is! I do see hope with Killa,JJ and the recruits! Your thoughts!
That's an excellent illustration of how players need to take ownership of their effort. They played very hard and beat some people they shouldn't have because of it. When you don't have depth it's difficult because you can't pull people. Mick is accountable at the end of the day. It's his team. The truth is there's only so much you can do.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
That's an excellent illustration of how players need to take ownership of their effort. They played very hard and beat some people they shouldn't have because of it. When you don't have depth it's difficult because you can't pull people. Mick is accountable at the end of the day. It's his team. The truth is there's only so much you can do.
I honestly froth at the mouth thinking how much better this team would be if they simply had John Williamson on it. He really was a very productive guy for this program.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
ready2go
Elite Member

ready2go is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
I don't agree that they get ripped. I believe most agree that the OOC sked wasn't that strong. I think what bothers some people is that some discredit the performance of the team in the OOC because of the opponents.

But, facts are that they dismantled virtually every opponent including XU by 20 and UD by 34....both teams who are now in the Top 60 in the RPI and have a chance to go to the NCAA.

And I think Oscar should or probably does realize the difference in scheduling philosophy in this era compared to the Crum era. Why go nuts in the OOC when you have 18 brutal BE games? In the CUSA, Great Midwest days you had to schedule big OOC because your conference schedule was not nearly as strong.
I believe from the beginning I had my doubts about this team. And YES I was ripped to pieces.

I expressed concerns about the offense even when the team was putting up 70/80. I did not see much ball movement. I saw a lot of wide open 3 attemps that were falling.

My questions and concerns to the board were, how is this team going to respond when the 3's aren't falling? Cashmere, Bishop, Davis and Dixon were knocking down those wide open 3's regulary.

However I did not see much of an offense to get those shots. The smaller teams were so worried about Gates that they packed the paint. It was easy to sit outside the 3 point line and hit an open 3.

My concerns have now become reality

Last edited by ready2go; 02-12-2011 at 09:09 AM.
ready2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
I honestly froth at the mouth thinking how much better this team would be if they simply had John Williamson on it. He really was a very productive guy for this program.
John Williamson was awesome for this program. Him on this team would be very very nice.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
He provided some solid inside and intermediate scoring. Which this team lacks.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote