Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #511
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
You still getting run in on the courts Bulldog?
Whenever my nephew and one his young punks think they can beat me. I play everything though
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #512
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Well for one, he can feed the post better than Shaq, Cobb, or KJ. And it isn't like anyone else we have on the wing attacks the basket either...however, it is tough to do that with 2 post players and a set defense on every possession. I'll concede that. I'd just like to spell him with someone who can break people down off the dribble up top and add a different wrinkle. That wrinkle can't be out there hunting shots though...
Feeding the post is not a reason to play someone at 2 guard. Not to mention that just because Troy plays the point it isn't like he doesn't get the ball in position to feed the post. Half the time he dribbles up the court, passes it off, runs around the baseline and gets it at the elbow.

Quote:
If Johnson and Cobb are not going to give you anything, I don't have a problem playing the two together. Jenifer will actually push the ball and try to create something in secondary break situations.
Cobb is 2nd in scoring and the best outside shooter. How is that not giving anything? Imagine though what he could do if the offense could provide an open look every once in a while. Even so, I'm not against Troy and JJ playing together but moving Troy off the ball isn't some magical answer to make him a better player.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #513
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Better option on wing than kj
of course, most everyone is.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #514
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Cobb is 2nd in scoring and the best outside shooter. How is that not giving anything? Imagine though what he could do if the offense could provide an open look every once in a while. Even so, I'm not against Troy and JJ playing together but moving Troy off the ball isn't some magical answer to make him a better player.
Cobb is 8/28 on three's since the Nebraska game. If you take out the Morgan State game he only has had 2 assists in the last 4 games and just 9 rebounds. He is still going to play around 25 minutes, I wouldn't be opposed to cut it down to 22 and let Jenifer and Caupain play some together. The issue with Cobb is if he isn't hitting shots, he doesn't bring much else...particularly against high major teams. He doesn't have the size to be an off guard. Of course if he is hitting shots, he is extremely valuable.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #515
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Feeding the post is not a reason to play someone at 2 guard. Not to mention that just because Troy plays the point it isn't like he doesn't get the ball in position to feed the post. Half the time he dribbles up the court, passes it off, runs around the baseline and gets it at the elbow.
When your halfcourt success hinges on being able to play inside-out, I'd say feeding the post is pretty important. And even if he doesn't stay up top all the time, bc of our walking it up the floor, half the shot clock is gone by the time he even makes the first pass and we're already crunched for time.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #516
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Whenever my nephew and one his young punks think they can beat me. I play everything though
Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #517
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The issue with Cobb is if he isn't hitting shots, he doesn't bring much else...particularly against high major teams. He doesn't have the size to be an off guard. Of course if he is hitting shots, he is extremely valuable.
Not only is he not hitting shots but he's forced up a number of awful shots attempting to shoot himself out of it (I guess).

The 2 spot wasn't supposed to be a weakness this year, but as we are seeing with Cobb it's the same as last year, he can be really good, or really bad. There was a reason his stats at the end of the year were nearly identical to KJ.

At least Cobb doesn't turn the ball over, he won't shoot this bad forever.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #518
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Not only is he not hitting shots but he's forced up a number of awful shots attempting to shoot himself out of it (I guess).

The 2 spot wasn't supposed to be a weakness this year, but as we are seeing with Cobb it's the same as last year, he can be really good, or really bad. There was a reason his stats at the end of the year were nearly identical to KJ.

The two guard and small forward positions are our major question marks. If we get production from those two (or at least one), we will be a very good team. If not, we will score in the 60's.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #519
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

I'm not arguing that Cobb's minutes couldn't be reduced but regardless of his recent slump he is still the best outside shooter on the team. And his defense has been decent too. It's not like any other contribute much. So I wouldn't be opposed to reducing his minutes slightly and giving more to Jenifer, but Caupain also needs some rest. Also, Jenifer needs to know his role and keep it simple.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #520
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

He shot 3-8 from 3 against X, that's not horrible. And that includes like you said, a couple bad shots when he was trying to force things (and I think he had one as the shot clock expired).