Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #911
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I guess there hasn't been enough uproar yet. And yes...when you say "no one" that is just not true. You mentioned the fan base has decreased. That is one way a coach is held accountable. If the fans don't want to watch the product anymore...it's sending a message.
The job that Coach is doing is not the top issue why the attendance is down. His teams performance is a big reason it is climbing back up. We are a regular participant in the NCAA Tourney. We are a factor in our league every year. If you want to improve on those indicators I might first suggest upgrade your facilities (which they are finally doing. after football I might add) get yourself in a P5 conference that would get established programs back on your schedule and help you with recruiting. Yes by all means, fire a Coach who has gotten you to the dance 5 years running and is only 1 of 11 teams to do it before you give him the opportunity to compete with the improvements that could be on the way. Arena upgrades, Conference realignment and a increase budget. Really hasn't Mick earned a little trust after resurrecting this dumpster fire.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #912
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess there hasn't been enough uproar yet. And yes...when you say "no one" that is just not true. You mentioned the fan base has decreased. That is one way a coach is held accountable. If the fans don't want to watch the product anymore...it's sending a message.
Last year we had the highest attendance average under mick, not sure how this year is looking, but with uconn and smu being likely sellouts we may beat that again. If we where top 20 all year like we should have been we would probably average over 11 thousand a game by years end. But we arent, losses hurt fan support so do Sunday afternoon games and conference opponents. Last Thursday for an 8 o'clock tip against a team with like 4 wins with us being squarely on the bubble we still got over 9k. If we are winning fans will come. Look we are severely on the bubble and yet we will still average around 10k this year, we do have fan support...but our fans are fans of a program with high expectations fans here expect us to be ranked every time they come to see us play

Last edited by Bearcat Rob; 02-09-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #913
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Does anyone know when they will announce the UCONN time? We really just do not play good in the afternoon against quality opponents I am true believer of that. I hope they give us a Saturday night game for once. I think it will be the first time all year. That's pathetic.
4 0'clock tip
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #914
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
Last year we had the highest attendance average under mick, not sure how this year is looking, but with uconn and smu being likely sellouts we may beat that again. If we where top 20 all year like we should have been we would probably average over 11 thousand a game by years end. But we arent, losses hurt fan support so do Sunday afternoon games and conference opponents. Last Thursday for an 8 o'clock tip against a team with like 4 wins with us being squarely on the bubble we still got over 9k. If we are winning fans will come. Look we are severely on the bubble and yet we will still average around 10k this year, we do have fan support...but our fans are fans of a program with high expectations fans here expect us to be ranked every time they come to see us play
I know attendance was trending up last year. The confusing thing is attendance across College basketball was down. That is why all the rule changes to increase scoring. Certainly if we are ranked we will draw more but there are factors standing in his way that are not all coaching.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #915
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
The job that Coach is doing is not the top issue why the attendance is down. His teams performance is a big reason it is climbing back up. We are a regular participant in the NCAA Tourney. We are a factor in our league every year. If you want to improve on those indicators I might first suggest upgrade your facilities (which they are finally doing. after football I might add) get yourself in a P5 conference that would get established programs back on your schedule and help you with recruiting. Yes by all means, fire a Coach who has gotten you to the dance 5 years running and is only 1 of 11 teams to do it before you give him the opportunity to compete with the improvements that could be on the way. Arena upgrades, Conference realignment and a increase budget. Really hasn't Mick earned a little trust after resurrecting this dumpster fire.
I did not suggest attendance was down...someone else did...I was just responding to that assertion. My other point was that Cronin gets plenty of criticism and he doesn't get a free pass as was also suggested by another person. I haven't advocated firing a coach...I will evaluate coaching jobs after the season is over.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #916
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
I did not suggest attendance was down...someone else did...I was just responding to that assertion. My other point was that Cronin gets plenty of criticism and he doesn't get a free pass as was also suggested by another person. I haven't advocated firing a coach...I will evaluate coaching jobs after the season is over.
I got that. My comment was more in general. Sorry for the confusion. Like you I'll wait until after the season.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #917
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
4 0'clock tip
could you tell us where you got that from? just trying to make sure it's confirmed since that'll impact my plans that day.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #918
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
No, he hasn't. People like you love to over exaggerate the job Mick has done. He didn't walk into the world's worst situation. The cupboard was bare here when Mick arrived in terms of talent but he didn't have any sanctions hanging over his head. It's high time people stop acting like Mick has turned water into wine here. No doubt he had a tough job ahead of him but he's had 10 years to bring championship caliber basketball back to Cincinnati and he's nowhere near it.

There's a lot of coaches in the college ranks who could roll out of bed and put a program like UC in the tourney nearly ever season. It's not that great of an accomplishment.

Last edited by UCBearcats; 02-09-2016 at 02:49 PM.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #919
JerseySean

JerseySean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
There's a lot of coaches in the college ranks who could roll out of bed and put a program like UC in the tourney damn near season. It's not that great of an accomplishment.
Where were these coaches when I was a student in the 80's, suffering through a 3 - 25 season? Where is Andy Kennedy's Ole Miss Rebels ranked?

You don't "roll out of bed" and get to the Dance.
JerseySean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #920
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySean View Post
Where were these coaches when I was a student in the 80's, suffering through a 3 - 25 season? Where is Andy Kennedy's Ole Miss Rebels ranked?

You don't "roll out of bed" and get to the Dance.
You're kidding yourself if you think Ole Miss has a program that's anywhere near comparable to UC. Andy Kennedy has done a fairly decent job at Ole Miss, no one is ever going to win at a school like that.

Mick Cronin took over a much better brand and program than any coach who coached here in the 80's did. Bob Huggins inherited a much worse situation than Mick did and put us in the Final 4 in year 2. Bob is a great coach, Mick is not.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote