Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #101
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
Well my main point was just that last year's 3 pt show wasn't really a zone vs man problem. We deliberately left a guy we thought couldn't shoot. That's a little different than sitting back in a zone and them shooting over the top.

Our zone is an aggressive zone anyway so I'm not even sure it makes them more likely to take 3s the way we play it.

More to the point, Clark can't guard Bluitt. I'll just put that out there as bluntly as I can.
No way was the plan to just leave him wide open. Especially after he makes 1, then 2, then 3, then 4... As was mentioned, he wasn't the only one getting wide open looks. Myles Davis also had 2 wide open looks in the first half. Were we leaving him open on purpose too? Don't kid yourself, the plan is never to just let wide open shooters drain 3s. Their offense just makes it look that easy vs a zone. There's a difference between having a team takes jumpers you want them to take, and draining uncontested 3s.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #102
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucswais View Post
Well my main point was just that last year's 3 pt show wasn't really a zone vs man problem. We deliberately left a guy we thought couldn't shoot. That's a little different than sitting back in a zone and them shooting over the top.

Our zone is an aggressive zone anyway so I'm not even sure it makes them more likely to take 3s the way we play it.

More to the point, Clark can't guard Bluitt. I'll just put that out there as bluntly as I can.
Not sure I agree with this. Bluitt doesn't seem real fast or quick to me, so Clark would definitely be pulled away from the comfort of the paint outside to cover him, but I think he could definitely guard him without any problem. He just wouldn't get as many rebounds if that is who Mick assigns to Bluitt. Is Bluitt quicker than I'm giving him credit for?
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #103
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Bluitt doesn't seem real fast or quick to me, so Clark would definitely be pulled away from the comfort of the paint outside to cover him, but I think he could definitely guard him without any problem. He just wouldn't get as many rebounds if that is who Mick assigns to Bluitt. Is Bluitt quicker than I'm giving him credit for?

I'm not sure if he's quicker than you are giving him credit for but I don't think Clark is comfortable guarding the perimeter at all. It's not like Bluiett is just going to stand in the corner all game and not move.

With that being said, I don't think there's any way Bluiett can guard Clark down low.

Last edited by cincrulz11; 12-09-2015 at 12:24 PM.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #104
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Clark needs to be able to guard a 3-5.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #105
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
That matchup is a key to the game. I don't think either guy can guard each other. If UC can not turn the ball over, I like our chances being able to score. For the first time that I can remember, I am much more concerned with the defense. Xavier has been an elite offensive team for a better part of two years.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #106
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Maybe by the time he leaves here, but he's definitely not at that point right now.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #107
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Maybe by the time he leaves here, but he's definitely not at that point right now.
Definitely not. But he is definitely serviceable. I expect him to be the most versatile defender in the AAC by next year.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #108
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Ellis more mobile than Clark
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #109
Bulldog01
Banned

X, just like everybody else is going to double our turnover machines big men. Like everyone is saying, whoever wins game from behind the arc wins. I can't see x letting Clark go off against any of their players
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #110
Bulldog01
Banned

Funny how lineup 1&2 didn't make it out of November against bums