Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
CincyCat1

CincyCat1 is on a distinguished road
Sunday = Elimination game...

... For St. Johns. The Johnnies play UCONN tomorrow night at MSG, which even though that will be a tough game, I will pick UCONN to win. That will leaave StJ at 13-10 overall and 5-6 in the BE. If we beat them again on Sunday, giving them 11 loses overall and 7 in the BE they would be done, especially with games still against Pitt, Marq, and Nova. People are talking about the BE getting 11 teams, but its more likely going to be around 9 or 10 and we can eliminate one of our competitors with a win on Sunday.
CincyCat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyCat1 View Post
... For St. Johns. The Johnnies play UCONN tomorrow night at MSG, which even though that will be a tough game, I will pick UCONN to win. That will leaave StJ at 13-10 overall and 5-6 in the BE. If we beat them again on Sunday, giving them 11 loses overall and 7 in the BE they would be done, especially with games still against Pitt, Marq, and Nova. People are talking about the BE getting 11 teams, but its more likely going to be around 9 or 10 and we can eliminate one of our competitors with a win on Sunday.
All I'm worried about is UC. All they need to do is win. Anyhow and anyway.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyCat1 View Post
Yes. It really might be for them. I think it is hard to say that when you play in a league that provides so many opportunities.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
Who Dey Time

Who Dey Time will become famous soon enough
It is assuming you are right about the UConn game. UConn hasn't been great recently and St. John's is 5-1 this season at MSG. It wouldn't shock me to see St. John's win.

I agree that if UC can win Sunday we gain a huge advantage over St. John's provided we don't see them again in the BE tournament.
Who Dey Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
SlamJam

SlamJam is on a distinguished road
While I dont think its an "elimination" game for UC--its freakin huge. I think UC needs to grab 3 of the final 7 games to be on the right side of the bubble (...ovbiously depending how they do in BE tournament). It would also knock off a team UC will battle against for bubble spot. Close to being the biggest game of the year, and probably is thus far (in terms of making the tournament)

Two feet behind the line...nothin' but twine.
SlamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamJam View Post
While I dont think its an "elimination" game for UC--its freakin huge. I think UC needs to grab 3 of the final 7 games to be on the right side of the bubble (...ovbiously depending how they do in BE tournament). It would also knock off a team UC will battle against for bubble spot. Close to being the biggest game of the year, and probably is thus far (in terms of making the tournament)
Two wins over SJU will be huge. I'm sure this is something not lost on SJU as well. Better buckle 'em up boys!!
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
CincyCat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Two wins over SJU will be huge. I'm sure this is something not lost on SJU as well. Better buckle 'em up boys!!
Completely agree. St Johns is going to be fired up for this game and they are going to play well. UC cant afford to have a letdown like they did in the second half of Depaul. St. Johns still has an RPI of 22 and that may go up whether they win or lose tomorrow night, so beating them would provide another quality win.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
St. Johns is probably the one Big East that can make the tourney with a sub .500 record in conference play (as long as its not more than one game under .500). They have some big wins that stick out and none more than their decisive victory over Duke. It will take a lot to keep them out of the tourney. Honestly even if we beat them twice I'd say they have a more likely shot than us of making the tourney if we can't get at least 11 victories including the conference tourney. While our two victories over them would be impressive and help our chances, the only way we get in over them because of that fact alone is if they say St. John's or UC. And if St. John's isn't a tournament team our two victories over them would be less impressive.

UC really needs to bring their A game on Sunday because I can bet St. John's will. I know they had to hate losing to us at home and they are hungry for wins. We need them to beat UConn so they aren't coming off a loss and even hungrier.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
St. Johns is probably the one Big East that can make the tourney with a sub .500 record in conference play (as long as its not more than one game under .500). They have some big wins that stick out and none more than their decisive victory over Duke. It will take a lot to keep them out of the tourney. Honestly even if we beat them twice I'd say they have a more likely shot than us of making the tourney if we can't get at least 11 victories including the conference tourney. While our two victories over them would be impressive and help our chances, the only way we get in over them because of that fact alone is if they say St. John's or UC. And if St. John's isn't a tournament team our two victories over them would be less impressive.

UC really needs to bring their A game on Sunday because I can bet St. John's will. I know they had to hate losing to us at home and they are hungry for wins. We need them to beat UConn so they aren't coming off a loss and even hungrier.
I don't care if they win or lose against UCONN- as long as that game itself is a tiring battle. They don't play until tomorrow night. That's a short rest period, especially considering the travel day in there.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
CincyCat1

Bill Koch talked to Joe Lunardi about importance of UC vs. St Johns

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2011/...rnament-hopes/

Last edited by CincyCat1; 02-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.