Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Dion Dixon vs SJU

I have searched the boards for any mention of Dixon yesterday and haven't found anyone who has mentioned it. The announcers during the game didn't talk about it and no one said anything about him during the postgame show.

Someone please tell me that he got hurt during the game because otherwise there is no explaination why he didn't see the court for the final 8:00 of the second half. I feel like the whole Yancy situation over shadowed this for most people. Dixon had 10 points in the first half and was our leading scorer. He scored 2 points early in the second half and came out before the 8 minute mark and never got back in.

Can anyone explain this?? I was watching the game with my brother and kept commenting toward the end of the game that Dixon had to be hurt. He had to be, right?? He looked healthy during the timeouts toward the end of the game so I don't know. Why isn't he on the court for the last play, or the last 4 minutes of the game for that matter?
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
When the game was on the line, our two leading scorers that game sat the bench. I dont get it...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
When the game was on the line, our two leading scorers that game sat the bench. I dont get it...
Mick thought Larry would bring some energy. That was his explanation. Dixon being on the bench didn't hurt them. They held SJU without a field goal for eight plus minutes. Hit free throws and you win. Dixon was 4-12 for the game. Gates deserved to be on the bench.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Mick thought Larry would bring some energy. That was his explanation. Dixon being on the bench didn't hurt them. They held SJU without a field goal for eight plus minutes. Hit free throws and you win. Dixon was 4-12 for the game. Gates deserved to be on the bench.

wasnt SK on the bench as well? I definitely wasnt talking about gates haa.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
UCBearcats
Banned

Quote:

Dixon being on the bench didn't hurt them?? I'm not really sure I follow. He might have been 4-12 up to the point that he came out of the game but if there is one guy on this team who can make something happen it's Dixon. Dixon is the guy I want with the ball in his hands in the final minute of the game. He can slash, get to the rim, and finish. Is Bishop really the better alternative because he hit a couple of 3's? He also air-balled a terrbile 3 right before he made two in a row.

Maybe if Dixon is on the floor we get 2 more buckets in the final 8 minutes and win the game. At the very least you have to go with your best players when the game is on the line, right?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Dixon being on the bench didn't hurt them?? I'm not really sure I follow. He might have been 4-12 up to the point that he came out of the game but if there is one guy on this team who can make something happen it's Dixon. Dixon is the guy I want with the ball in his hands in the final minute of the game. He can slash, get to the rim, and finish. Is Bishop really the better alternative because he hit a couple of 3's? He also air-balled a terrbile 3 right before he made two in a row.

Maybe if Dixon is on the floor we get 2 more buckets in the final 8 minutes and win the game. At the very least you have to go with your best players when the game is on the line, right?
My point is that if the assertion is that Dixon being on the bench cost them the game it is unfounded. What we know for a fact that cost them the game was an inability to hit free throws. Too many of you live in the land of what ifs. The game was there to win if you make free throws inspite of poor shooting. That is a known given. Dixon being on the floor is not. So much is placed on what if Mick had done this or that instead of looking at what the players did and didn't do. Everything else in conjecture. You're assuming a different result had it been done your way.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
UCBearcats
Banned

Quote:
My point is that if the assertion is that Dixon being on the bench cost them the game it is unfounded. What we know for a fact that cost them the game was an inability to hit free throws. Too many of you live in the land of what ifs. The game was there to win if you make free throws inspite of poor shooting. That is a known given. Dixon being on the floor is not. So much is placed on what if Mick had done this or that instead of looking at what the players did and didn't do. Everything else in conjecture. You're assuming a different result had it been done your way.
I think you're reading too much into my post. I'm simply asking a question, I really thought maybe he was hurt. In my mind that is the only logical explaination as to why he wouldn't be on the court. I didn't mention Mick once and I'm not assuming that had Dixon been in the game we would have won. You're right about the free throws, had we made one more basket or two more free throws the game goes to overtime.

My issue is regarding the end of the game. I would think you'd want the best guys on the floor at the most critical point in the game. I can't understand any other logic so I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
I think you're reading too much into my post. I'm simply asking a question, I really thought maybe he was hurt. In my mind that is the only logical explaination as to why he wouldn't be on the court. I didn't mention Mick once and I'm not assuming that had Dixon been in the game we would have won. You're right about the free throws, had we made one more basket or two more free throws the game goes to overtime.

My issue is regarding the end of the game. I would think you'd want the best guys on the floor at the most critical point in the game. I can't understand any other logic so I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me.
I told you, Mick said he thought Larry would give them energy after he hit the three pointer. That was the explanation.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
cincinnati insanity

cincinnati insanity is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Dixon is terrible. he hit a couple threes vs Syracuse and now thats all he shoots. He is to slow to react when the ball gets in his hands and his shot is 9 out of 10 times a brick. I think he is solid, but if he is the guy we want to have the ball at crunch time, UC is in terrible trouble. you have to give the ball to SK and let him go out there, he is either going to score 25 or 2, but he has the skills and basketball IQ on the offensive end of the floor. Here would be my starting lineup the rest of the year.
PG-Cash
SG-LD
SF-SK
PF-Ibrahima
C-Biggie

They say defense wins championships, but when you cant score more than you hold your opponent too, you dont win at all...

On a side note, Dixon needs to crash the boards and only drive the ball to the basket. Dont let him handle the ball and if he shoots the 3, put him on the pine.
cincinnati insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
vielhaber

vielhaber is on a distinguished road
Since the 'Cats were able to come back with Dion on the bench, wouldn't it seem logical to keep using the lineup that worked for them? They were down 10 or so when Dion went to the bench. They proceeded to cut that deficit and did so in part because of LD's defense and energy. I don't fault Mick for not playing Dion down the stretch. He was trying to ride the hot hand and the lineup that had gotten him back into the game. If anything, I think he made the right call.
vielhaber is offline   Reply With Quote