Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Have To Push Forward

With a game against Louisville looming on Wednesday night, the Bearcats have no choice but to keep pushing forward. It seems teams have found the formula in beating the Bearcats. Pack in on the post to prevent passes and block penetration to make the Cats beat you from outside.

We can complain all we want about the SJU loss but it came down to missing shots. Cincinnati outrebounded the Red Storm and secured 15 offensive rebounds but shot 35.8% from the field. Much has been made of the 30 three pointers that were taken but that is what kept Cincinnati in the game. They shot a respectable 36.7% from distance, but it was the wide open looks they missed that hurt. Dion Dixon missed three consecutive attempts when nobody was within 10 feet of him. Larry Davis as well missed three wide open looks. Take away their three point shooting and Cincinnati made 8 field goals.

With a chance to secure the win the team couldn't hit free throws. They made 8 of 15 for the game and missed several at crunch time. Shooting 53.3% in any game from the charity stripe is going to cost you. In a critical game it's a killer. Cincinnati missed freebies and St. Johns made them. The Bearcats held St. Johns to no field goals over the last 8:58 of the game but they hit 7 free throws, 3when it mattered most to hold on.

UC certainly hurt themselves yesterday and most want to send them to the NIT but the fact is a trip to the NCAA is still very possible. They fell to 55th in the rpi with some big games still on the slate. We can argue that the way they're playing they aren't beating anybody but reality is they aren't dead, but they are on life support.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 02-14-2011 at 08:03 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
I really can't see them getting the wins that are needed to make the tournament at this point. The way they have played, they have given me no reason to expect them to pull out 3 let alone 4 wins in the remaining 6 games. I want it to happen, but objectively I just don't see it. But gosh do I hope they prove me wrong.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
I really can't see them getting the wins that are needed to make the tournament at this point. The way they have played, they have given me no reason to expect them to pull out 3 let alone 4 wins in the remaining 6 games. I want it to happen, but objectively I just don't see it. But gosh do I hope they prove me wrong.
In the end Ryno it doesn't matter what we think. It matters what they do. The coach and the players both acknowledge it is a lack of attention to detail by the players and a lack of mental toughness that is the issue. Mick Cronin has to find a way to get this team to do both and the players have to hold themselves accountable. All I'm saying, and the players realize this, is that the possibility is there. However, shooting 34.7% on two point baskets isn't beating anyone and gives the other team a big defensive advantage.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 02-14-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
We beat Louisville at their crib when we were a 20 point underdog. Surely we can compete and win a game at home in which most consider a toss-up.

I just want us to put it together for 40 minutes, compete, play without thinking too much and see what happens.

Cannot let Knowles or Kuric get off from 3.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
We beat Louisville at their crib when we were a 20 point underdog. Surely we can compete and win a game at home in which most consider a toss-up.

I just want us to put it together for 40 minutes, compete, play without thinking too much and see what happens.

Cannot let Knowles or Kuric get off from 3.
The team shows when they settle down they can play with these teams. As Cronin says, They lose their minds. A win Wednesday will get them back on track. They have to really want it and do what they are coached to do!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
Jeff, I totally agree, just my opinion that they haven't done it yet and I don't see any indication they will. As I said I hope I'm wrong and I hope they do come out and perform, b/c as you said only they can do it, doesn't matter what we think.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Good thread! I was thinking yesterday. Even as frustrating the loss was they had plenty of chances. The one semi positive is they still have chances. We can complain all we want but. It wont change. Louisville shoots a lot of threes. Hopefully they don't catch fire and hopefully Thomas comes to play big without fouling. Gotta win at home. I hope there is a crowd because I do believe the kids feed off our energy. But after yesterday and hearing most of the "fans" negative comments I doubt it will be full.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote