Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #61
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat18 View Post
Committed to Purdue. Hopefully we can land Obekpa or Mick has someone else up his sleeve.
Ouch.

It does seem like Obekpa or bust for a low post player. Hopefully they didn't throw away Scott's number.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #62
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I just wasn't a big fan. Kid can be a difference maker if he wants to be. I have never seen any indications that he does. So we move on. Another near miss. We need one low post player for 2012.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 10-14-2011 at 01:56 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #63
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
In case anybody thinks what I'm saying is sour grapes I posted this a month ago:

Heard the same thing. I hope A.J. is more than size and potential. I understand why UC wants him. There are tools there to like. I just hope the kid is willing to work hard so he can use those tools. IMO, there is much more potential than show to him at this point.

Nice kid, he just has the motor of BJ Grove at this point.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #64
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
The problem is that there isn't anyone else better than Hammons on the board. This is shaping up to be a very disappointing recruiting class. I thought from the beginning this team needed two bigs in this class with one being a more immediate impact, however, UC may be lucky to get one big that has an impact by their sophomore year.

This recruit had the kiss of death since Ralphy mentioned him last year. the_one added to it as well.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #65
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

You are right! I've never seen either right on a recruit! Not being mean I think 32 gets some decent info gathered the projections are just off (is he secretly TC...that's a joke guys). The next time Ralph is right about a recruit will be the first.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #66
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Well LH we disagree about them "needing" to have 2 bigs. One that can give minutes will work I think. They need a wing as well. I don't think Hammons would have an immediate impact. He could but that light hasn't come on and your not going to switch it when you step on campus, I.E. Yancy Gates. It is typically a process. He is a big body low post player and that's what they need and his potential is high if he taps it.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #67
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I am glad he didnt committ because I didnt want to hear LL tell me how much he hates big slow big men.

Would have been nice to develop but I will take a 6'8 high motor type of guy.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #68
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I am glad he didnt committ because I didnt want to hear LL tell me how much he hates big slow big men.

Would have been nice to develop but I will take a 6'8 high motor type of guy.
UC already has 6'8" high motor guys. One wasn't good enough to play last year and may struggle to see the court this year. If all you have is high motor guys then you are screwed once the game becomes a half court game. It's good to have big men with different skill sets.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #69
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Well LH we disagree about them "needing" to have 2 bigs. One that can give minutes will work I think. They need a wing as well. I don't think Hammons would have an immediate impact. He could but that light hasn't come on and your not going to switch it when you step on campus, I.E. Yancy Gates. It is typically a process. He is a big body low post player and that's what they need and his potential is high if he taps it.
Frankly when I said "needed" originally it was before I saw Modji play. Now I have a little more confidence in him. They do need at least one big man and I would have liked two. But the chances of them getting a big man that will give minutes freshman year is between slim and none. AJ I think could have. I have heard he had a good year in terms of effort, which is why Cronin was so high on him.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #70
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
UC already has 6'8" high motor guys. One wasn't good enough to play last year and may struggle to see the court this year. If all you have is high motor guys then you are screwed once the game becomes a half court game. It's good to have big men with different skill sets.
I want my big men to be like Gates or Hicks or Little.

Be able to move. Be able to run.

Rebound and defend. That all I care about
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote