Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
The more I think about it, the more nervous I get about playing zone in this one. Doubling Stainbrook in the post plays right into their hands. You just don't see the throwback type C in college bball anymore and his ability to pass completely changes the angles we're used to seeing on the perimeter. We've already had struggles lately on our rotations as is, I'm just worried that he'll torch us on double teams by getting guys the ball who are stepping into their shots/moving towards the hoop. When Xavier played Seton Hall, they shot around 75% from 2. I'm afraid that the inside out game against zone defense will leave gaps for guys like Bluett and Reynolds. And once a team cracks a zone, it is hard to stop the bleeding. I hope LD can make the proper adjustments or else our defense will be on their heels and it'll end up being like that ND game a few years ago when they scored 89 and just toyed with us bc they could so easily work it inside and make the extra pass.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #32
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
If they have anybody on the perimeter you really have to watch out for it's Abell. He's been the only one that has shot the 3 well since conference play has started. Myles Davis can get hot, but he can also be completely off (just under 33% from 3 since conference play started).

Bluiett is also extremely streaky from 3 but is 8 of his last 17 the past 3 games.

xavier will settle for 3's if you make it tough to get inside. That's how they lost to Seton Hall. We have to make the entry passes difficult.

Also xavier starts the game small with Bluiett at the 4 and Abell at the 3. I'm not sure we can play man vs them cause Ellis doesn't match up with Stain, Clark doesn't tend to guard the perimeter, and I'm not sure Sanders can play on Abell.

If we go man and over help like we have in the past, xavier is going do to us what ND always did to us.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #33
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
NC State is a great three point shooting team at 36.5% as a team for the season. Lacey shoots 41.5%, Barber shoots 37.8% and Turner shoots 37.8% individually. Guess how many they made against Cincinnati?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal E View Post
NC State is a great three point shooting team at 36.5% as a team for the season. Lacey shoots 41.5%, Barber shoots 37.8% and Turner shoots 37.8% individually. Guess how many they made against Cincinnati?
Zilch!

Wow, Barber shoots 3s that well?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #35
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Zilch!

Wow, Barber shoots 3s that well?
Even more impressively, we only let them get off 5 attempts. I threw Barber in there even though Lacey and Turner take most of their attempts. Barber only has 37 attempts on the season.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #36
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
With new players and players playing increased roles these ups and downs had to be expected. It doesn't make it less frustrating, but somewhat expected and impossible to predict scores. I wouldn't be shocked if we won or lost by 20. Two losses in a row at home is territory we don't want to venture into.
This team needs a leader coach or player
Old 02-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #37
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal E View Post
Don't play zone and we got a good chance
Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #38
Bulldog01
Banned

Davis go have to put his big boy pants on and get creative with coaching. Shaq and kj should only come in during tv timeouts. have Sanders rotate in for bigs and Mormon for guards
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #39
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Opened as a PK
Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #40
Shoemaker

Shoemaker is on a distinguished road
I go back and forth on this game. On the one hand, I think there's no way UC loses at home, right? Especially with how poorly xavier plays on the road? It should be that simple.
But history and the recent trend of the team certainly suggest anything but simplicity. You fear Xavier having the freak shooting night like they did a year ago, or the scenario in which they just want it more than the Bearcats.
The crowd has got to bring it tomorrow night and the players need to be fired up, but not get carried away, similar to the UCONN game.
Winning this game can go a long way I think.
Closed Thread