Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #121
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
When did I ever say Huggins was a great offensive coach? I said he came to the wrong school. Mick is made from the same cloth as Huggins. Play defense as hard as you can and we'll worry about scoring after.

Also, if Huggins best players stayed 4 years like Mick you don't think so of them would be higher?
Look Im just pointing out that if you are an Alpha dog scorer, then Mick Cronin will feature you in his lineup.

Was mick great at offense? ABSOLUTELY NOT

But if you were wired to score, was Mick great putting the ball in your hands and letting you work? Absolutely.

If you wanted to go to a high scoring fast paced team, then I would say don't pick mick Cronin at cincinnati. But if you can score, Mick will let you score.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #122
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Hmmm. I wasn’t responding to you.

I’m a cane Broome fan.

But I was responding to the comment that if your a scorer you picked the wrong team.

Which is crazy considering our former coach has 3 players on the UC’s top 10 all time scoring list:

#2 SK
#4 Deonta Vaughn
#7 Jarron Cumberland

30% of UC’s all time scoring leaders played for Mick
2 played for Huggins

Yancy # 16
Gary #17
Troy 24
Cash 25

Yea. If you can score don’t go play for mick lol
You love your Huggs jabs. If Mick could recruit or coach like Bob Huggins no one would ever complain about his teams....that's a fact you'll have to live with Justin.

Just because you buy tickets...and buy synergy and KP.....doesn't make you a smarter better fan than everyone. We are all living it. We saw what Huggs was, what Mick was, and we are excited for CJB.

That's why your a keyboard hero all day....because the majority of your arguments are incorrect. You have bias because you got attached to college hoops while Mick was the coach. You'll be okay.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #123
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
You love your Huggs jabs. If Mick could recruit or coach like Bob Huggins no one would ever complain about his teams....that's a fact you'll have to live with Justin.

Just because you buy tickets...and buy synergy and KP.....doesn't make you a smarter better fan than everyone. We are all living it. We saw what Huggs was, what Mick was, and we are excited for CJB.

That's why your a keyboard hero all day....because the majority of your arguments are incorrect. You have bias because you got attached to college hoops while Mick was the coach. You'll be okay.
Not going to go too deep into this.
But here is Huggs last 9 years at UC:
97: 3 seed lost in 2nd round 6 seed
98: 2 seed lost n 2nd round to 10 seed
99: 3 seed lost in 2nd round to 6 seed
00: 2 seed lost in 2nd round to 7 seed
01: 5 Seed, Made sweet 16
02: 1 seed, lost in 2nd round to 8 seed
03: 8 seed, lost in 1st round to 9 seed
04: 4 seed, lost in 2nd round to 5 seed
05: 7 seed, lost in 2nd round to 2 seed

1 Time exceeding expectations in 9 years
1 time meeting expectations in 9 years
7 times failing to meet expectations in 9 years
6 times was a top 4 seed and didn't even make the 2nd weekend.

Defend it please.

Because the other defense of this.. is that he earned some capital with what he did in the first part of his career.

He was a joke in the tourney. A bigger Joke than even Mick was in his last 9 years.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #124
Chance2017

Quote:
Not going to go too deep into this.
But here is Huggs last 9 years at UC:
97: 3 seed lost in 2nd round 6 seed
98: 2 seed lost n 2nd round to 10 seed
99: 3 seed lost in 2nd round to 6 seed
00: 2 seed lost in 2nd round to 7 seed
01: 5 Seed, Made sweet 16
02: 1 seed, lost in 2nd round to 8 seed
03: 8 seed, lost in 1st round to 9 seed
04: 4 seed, lost in 2nd round to 5 seed
05: 7 seed, lost in 2nd round to 2 seed

1 Time exceeding expectations in 9 years
1 time meeting expectations in 9 years
7 times failing to meet expectations in 9 years
6 times was a top 4 seed and didn't even make the 2nd weekend.

Defend it please.

Because the other defense of this.. is that he earned some capital with what he did in the first part of his career.

He was a joke in the tourney. A bigger Joke than even Mick was in his last 9 years.
Huggs has been a high level coach for 29 seasons.
He's been to:

2 Final 4's
2 Elite 8's
5 Sweet 16's

So that's 9 trips to at least the sweet 16 in 29 years.

So with Huggs as your coach, you're going to a S16 probably once every 3 seasons. Not to mention mixing in some E8's and F4s.

As you pointed out, he had some bad tournament runs. But those teams were awesome with NBA talent and made UC a NATIONAL brand. So even with your argument of under-peformance, my initial stats are still accurate. S16 once every 3 years.

Better than 1 S16 in 13 years.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #125
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
Huggs has been a high level coach for 29 seasons.
He's been to:

2 Final 4's
2 Elite 8's
5 Sweet 16's

So that's 9 trips to at least the sweet 16 in 29 years.

So with Huggs as your coach, you're going to a S16 probably once every 3 seasons. Not to mention mixing in some E8's and F4s.

As you pointed out, he had some bad tournament runs. But those teams were awesome with NBA talent and made UC a NATIONAL brand. So even with your argument of under-peformance, my initial stats are still accurate. S16 once every 3 years.

Better than 1 S16 in 13 years.

A national brand that was became known for Choking.

His first half of his career was elite. The 2nd half he dominated Conference USA with good players who always seemed to suck in the 2nd round of the tourney.

He was a hungry coach when he first got to Cincinnati. But after he developed the brand, it seems he just wanted to end the season in early march so he could go get drunk.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #126
Chance2017

Quote:

His first half of his career was elite. The 2nd half he dominated Conference USA with good players who always seemed to suck in the 2nd round of the tourney.

He was a hungry coach when he first got to Cincinnati. But after he developed the brand, it seems he just wanted to end the season in early march so he could go get drunk.
He's been to a F4 and 4 S16s since UC Justin. Really good point though. And it doesn't look like he's stopped drinking.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #127
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look Im just pointing out that if you are an Alpha dog scorer, then Mick Cronin will feature you in his lineup.

Was mick great at offense? ABSOLUTELY NOT

But if you were wired to score, was Mick great putting the ball in your hands and letting you work? Absolutely.

If you wanted to go to a high scoring fast paced team, then I would say don't pick mick Cronin at cincinnati. But if you can score, Mick will let you score.
Mick will typically let 1 person score. Outside of the 1 year we've pretty always been a one player centric offense. And again, you brought Mick into this not me. But wait you NEVER do that, yea?
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #128
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Mick will typically let 1 person score. Outside of the 1 year we've pretty always been a one player centric offense. And again, you brought Mick into this not me. But wait you NEVER do that, yea?

I promise not to bring up Mick the rest of the year.

I'd rather this thread get back on track.

Sooo How bout dem bearcats in the AAC tourney. #1 seed. Pretty good right? Im ready to just beat down what ever directional Florida team we play and get this ball moving.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #129
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Someone tested positive for Corona in Tarrant county which is where the conference tournament is.... things could get really interesting
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #130
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Honest question, were you old enough to actually remember those Huggins teams? I’m genuinely curious. I am. Those teams were awesome. They were regularly in the top 10. Yes they lost in the tourney.but if we are comparing eras, it’s not even close. I know it was a different time.
I agree it went downhill at the end. I think the Kenyon thing broke him. Kinda like I think the Nevada game hurt mick. After both of those things, I think both just wanted a change. It’s so hard at a school like Cincinnati to get teams like those. It has to hurt.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-10-2020 at 08:19 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote