Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #531
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
last years numbers were alarming to me at first glance. i wanna know what happened between his sophomore and jr years. maybe he had some sort of injury, we saw what that can do. he shot a lot more 2's away from the rim last year compared to the year before.

he should get a lot more open looks here. think of all the open looks scott got and Ivanauskas (somebody come up with a nickname quick) is a better shooter.

i can see this working out. but man, mcneal nightmares scare me.
Worst case we needed a big body for fouls. This guy also has some skills so I don't think the risk is all that high for one year. Seemed like a priority for CJB. We still have one roster spot to fill and maybe 2 so it should be solid depth at the very least. We needed experience at the 4 assuming Dou is primarily a 5 now.

Let's just hope his nickname is not Ivan The Terrible
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #532
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
last years numbers were alarming to me at first glance. i wanna know what happened between his sophomore and jr years. maybe he had some sort of injury, we saw what that can do. he shot a lot more 2's away from the rim last year compared to the year before.

he should get a lot more open looks here. think of all the open looks scott got and Ivanauskas (somebody come up with a nickname quick) is a better shooter.

McNeal was never a conference player of the year, McNeal had also transferred to 5 different schools in 5 years... the writing was on the wall with McNeal and he was a late addition to a team with a new coach scrambling for players... This guy suffered a shoulder injury at Northwestern where he was playing good basketball before the injury and then transferred to Colgate for a fresh start. I think he will be solid but I would keep the expectations of him reasonable, he will contribute but obviously not as much as he did at Colgate.... simaler to what Jaevin was able to do for us I would guess
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #533
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Noone wanted mcneal. Remember the staff had to quickly try and make connections and sell a program they are also new to.

So i wouldnt say mcneal. MAYBE you could say Sorolla(who we wouldnt hate as much if he didnt just quit on the team). Sorolla was a serviceable backup big who didnt put up nearly half as good of numbers as Rap. So at WORST hes Sorolla. But we know, based on numbers, that he is much better than sorolla.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #534
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Not sure how he even remotely compares to McNeal...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #535
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Not sure how he even remotely compares to McNeal...
just grad transfers in general. we got the full scale last year with mcneal looking to be a starter at the start of the season (Like Ivanauskas is) and becoming unplayable, to Sorolla quitting, so Jaevin being pretty solid.

really don't know what to expect from them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #536
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
It seems like Ivanauskas is versatile enough that we could put out any combination of 2 big guys between him, Vogt, Dou, and Eason have a pretty playable line-up.
I disagree. Ivanauskas does not seem like an elite defender or rebounder. His rebounding numbers weren't great at Colgate and will get worse with the jump in competition level.

Vogt averaged Total rebound percentage was 16.6% as a Sophomore at NKU, that dropped to 10.6% in conference last year. Ivanauskas's TRB was 14.6% last year.

It was hard enough having Vogt play last year when he had an elite defender and rebounder in Scott at the 4 to help him out.

Most likely is that Diarra/Ivanauskas start (sort of interchangeable who plays the 4/5) and Vogt comes off the bench. I doubt Vogt/Ivanauskas will play together much.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #537
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I disagree. Ivanauskas does not seem like an elite defender or rebounder.
If you thought Vogt couldn't play defense, you probably shouldn't even watch next season.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #538
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah...from the quotes it sounds like he is coming to play the 4 which means Brannen probably has told him Dou is playing the 5 along with Vogt. Eason is a frosh yada yada.

I like it from that standpoint
Dou play significantly better at the 5 last year, so it would make sense. On the other hand, it seemed like Brannen last year told guys time was available, but also told them they had to earn it.

I'm not sure Ivanauskas has the athleticism to compete with some of the 4's he will be facing. Even Scott struggled at times last year and Ivanauskas does not have the defensive or rebounding ability of Scott.

I can imagine Diarra starting at the 4 with Vogt at the 5, or at the 5 with Ivanauskas at the 4. But it's hard to see a lineup of Vogt/Ivanauskas starting together. They don't bring enough defense/rebounding to compete with most quality team.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #539
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
If you thought Vogt couldn't play defense, you probably shouldn't even watch next season.
Ivanauskas started at the 5 for Colgate. He seems to have good enough size and athleticism to start at the 5 here as well.

Brannen already had issues with Vogt's defense at the 5 last year. Brannen knows he's needs a team that plays defense as well as offense.

Diarra/Ivanauskas starting together makes sense. Vogt/Ivanauskas starting together does not.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #540
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Ivanauskas started at the 5 for Colgate. He seems to have good enough size and athleticism to start at the 5 here as well.

Brannen already had issues with Vogt's defense at the 5 last year. Brannen knows he's needs a team that plays defense as well as offense.

Diarra/Ivanauskas starting together makes sense. Vogt/Ivanauskas starting together does not.

You're gonna beg for Vogt defense after watching Ivanauskas' defense.