Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #551
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Some people said that about Vogt too, but he got beat up in the American.

I've watched about 45 mins of Ivanauskas now, probably about all I will watch for a while. He seems to just quit on plays now and then and even in 2018-19 was outmatched defending at the 4. Even when he guarded his guy well, he didn't provide help defense, because he knew he couldn't recover.

I think he could be good enough defensively, but probably playing the 5. He has the height and frame to put on 10-15 more lbs. At the 4 he's going to have to defend a lot of smaller and more athletic guys. At the 5 if he puts on some weight he's not going to face many guys too big for him to defend (and we have Vogt if that does happen).

He does have a nice handle on offense, is a good passer and has a nice finishing touch. If Diarra can continue to knock down threes, Ivanauskas will be hard to stop surrounded by shooters.
Referring to him quitting, You never know if he was told be careful and not pick up fouls. Sometimes it’s more important for your best players to stay on the court than play aggressive the whole game. Similar to Jarron. Not saying that’s the case but sometimes it is. We will see
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #552
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Some people said that about Vogt too, but he got beat up in the American.

I've watched about 45 mins of Ivanauskas now, probably about all I will watch for a while. He seems to just quit on plays now and then and even in 2018-19 was outmatched defending at the 4. Even when he guarded his guy well, he didn't provide help defense, because he knew he couldn't recover.

I think he could be good enough defensively, but probably playing the 5. He has the height and frame to put on 10-15 more lbs. At the 4 he's going to have to defend a lot of smaller and more athletic guys. At the 5 if he puts on some weight he's not going to face many guys too big for him to defend (and we have Vogt if that does happen).

He does have a nice handle on offense, is a good passer and has a nice finishing touch. If Diarra can continue to knock down threes, Ivanauskas will be hard to stop surrounded by shooters.
I mean Vogt had a pretty good year. We played a good non conference schedule and he was good. He also was good for half of the conference schedule. He fell off the last month but still was solid for 2/3 of the year. Even with that, he exceeded everyone’s expectations. But keep telling yourself he had a bad year.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #553
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I'm excited about landing Ivanauskas. Can't say if he'll start or not, but I do think his presence on the roster alone moves the needle considerably towards UC having a better season.

Sorry doubters. There's a chance he starts next to Vogt. I think Brannen will always go with experience before raw skills. It's when those raw skills start to balance out that guys like Adams-Woods and Diarra see more floor time. But Vogt and Ivanauskas definitely have experience now and could be used effectively.

Looking at him next to other players, I don't think Ivanauskas is really 6' 10". Maybe 6' 8". Doesn't matter. He's a stretch four. His job will be to stretch the floor with his shot, set picks to open up shooters, and hopefully defend and rebound.

I don't think this kid replaces what Scott did directly, but he brings plenty of different things that could prove beneficial. I hope coaches have him doing some strength building exercises.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #554
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Things heating up on the Dejulius front as well. Decision in the next couple of days. Sounds like we are still in the mix with 1 or 2 other schools.

ESPN ranks Rap as the #19 grad transfer and Dej as the #15 sit out transfer. But it's possible he may not have to sit.

Now that would be a very good week for the roster! A back up 5 and a potential starting stretch 4. A ball handler who can shoot from deep.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #555
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Things heating up on the Dejulius front as well. Decision in the next couple of days. Sounds like we are still in the mix with 1 or 2 other schools.

ESPN ranks Rap as the #19 grad transfer and Dej as the #15 sit out transfer. But it's possible he may not have to sit.

Now that would be a very good week for the roster! A back up 5 and a potential starting stretch 4. A ball handler who can shoot from deep.
If we could get DeJulius and Keith returns, we will have the deepest team we have had in years. Not sure what that means as far as wins but will be fun. If he can play this year, and If we even have a season of course.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #556
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

he is making his decision tomorrow at noon. Between UC, Marquette, Iowa State and Missouri. Hearing rumblings it is between us an Marquette. Personally I think he will end up at Marquette but I hope I am wrong. As of right now he would have to sit next year but as we saw with Vogt,, it is a crapshoot who gets a waiver. If he picks us and he can play next season and Keith returns..... watch out.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #557
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
he is making his decision tomorrow at noon. Between UC, Marquette, Iowa State and Missouri. Hearing rumblings it is between us an Marquette. Personally I think he will end up at Marquette but I hope I am wrong. As of right now he would have to sit next year but as we saw with Vogt,, it is a crapshoot who gets a waiver. If he picks us and he can play next season and Keith returns..... watch out.
Lots of chatter it could be UC tomorrow!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #558
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lots of chatter it could be UC tomorrow!
Well he just got 3 crystal balls on 247 to UC
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #559
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Would be massive
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #560
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
So if Dejulius picks UC, how many scholarships would then be available?
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote