Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #721
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
This...Exactly this. With Mick we played 1 MAYBE 2 tough non-conference games(not including xavier because they are always on the schedule). Noone, not even fans, really wanted to watch those games. So there is a 0% chance anyone other than fans are watching those games. Especially not any recruit(not commitments, but just 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th grade basketball players).

When you schedule big, you get put on the national stage. Your games become something ESPN wants to air. And then its something people want to watch. And then recruits want to watch. Its how you build the brand that we lost over the years.

This also shows recruits that you dont have to play in the SEC to play a tough schedule. Im so glad we are in the Brannen area now.

Also, im hearing the last spot on the schedule is going to an SEC team. going by the connections Brannen has Id say Bama?, but maybe he and his staff have connections with Crean or Martin.
Yep, that’s always been my argument. We could be a major program if we want to be. We could be Gonzaga. We were Gonzaga before Gonzaga. We need to act like one though. Play on national stages. Not some tournament with a bunch of mid majors to see if we can get a bunch of meaningless wins. Embrace our alumni. This program could be much more. Of course we also have to win. That’s also part of it.

Mick won a ton of games after rebuilding the program from nothing. That’s awesome. I just always felt like we could be a much bigger program but he never wanted to embrace it.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 05-08-2020 at 08:08 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 AM   #722
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Is the AAC/SEC thing still a thing or was that just last year? I assumed we would be in that since we weren’t in it last year but I don’t know if that’s still a thing. It’d be a low level sec team but I’d take it.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #723
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Tari Eason finishes ranked 54th in the rivals top 150. Congrats young man.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #724
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance2017 View Post
Tari Eason finishes ranked 54th in the rivals top 150. Congrats young man.
Seems like quite a bit of difference here between ranking sites but this is a good sign that someone sees his most recent play as a reason to move him up. It would be awesome if he can play 15+ minutes...anything more than that would mean he is going to be really good. I would suspect something in the range of 10-15 but who knows.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #725
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Jon Rothstein with a 21-22 scheduling tweet today:

"Sources: Arkansas, Illinois, Cincinnati, and Kansas State will headline the 2021 Hall Of Fame Classic in Kansas City"

Two more high major neutral games to boost our future schedule and a homecoming of sorts for Zach Harvey.

Last edited by Queens_NYC; 05-20-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #726
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I'm happy the excitement is back. I like that we're turning into an anybody, anywhere, anytime sort of program.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #727
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of the Big East days... losses never even bothered me because we had a big game 4 days later anyway. You remember the big wins..I love having 10 chances at big wins a year vs 4.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #728
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Reminds me of the Big East days... losses never even bothered me because we had a big game 4 days later anyway. You remember the big wins..I love having 10 chances at big wins a year vs 4.
Exactly, the biggest games in the history of our program aren’t against Texas southern. Those games are pointless. No one cares if you win 28 games and get a 7 seed. Give more 4-5 more chances a year to make a memory
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #729
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Agree. This is also why I never bragged or made a big deal about Mick winning 60 games in two years. Cant just brag about wins when 50 of them were against mediocre to subpar teams
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #730
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Jon Rothstein with a 21-22 scheduling tweet today:

"Sources: Arkansas, Illinois, Cincinnati, and Kansas State will headline the 2021 Hall Of Fame Classic in Kansas City"

Two more high major neutral games to boost our future schedule and a homecoming of sorts for Zach Harvey.
None of those teams are actually good though
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote