Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #441
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
It really isn’t rocket science. Conference affiliation and facilities matter a little...but ask kids (or just be honest with yourself).

1. Can the coach/program get me to the next level?
2. Do they play an exciting style of basketball? Kids want to score and run like they see Villanova, the Houston Rockets or GS Warriors. No recruit is excited to come play for a team that scores 60-70 points and focuses on D. That’s just how it is...
3. Is there immediate playing time? I respect Mick’s theory of honoring hustle guys who stay 3-4 years...but it’s a reality that these grad transfers notice the Broome situation.
4. Coaches demeanor. I can respect a tough love coach, but that is more a more a thing of the past. Whether you like it or not, Mick rubs a lot of people/players the wrong way. You see Jay Wright act like him? You see WSU coach or Jonny Dawkins act like that?

Based on past evidence on the above...why would they come here? To come off the bench behind lesser talent, maybe average 5 ppg on a team that struggles to score? And sign up to play for a guy that might rub them the wrong way all the time? Odds are against it. Be honest.

Last edited by bearcat1518; 04-06-2018 at 07:42 AM.
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #442
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1518 View Post
It really isn’t rocket science. Conference affiliation and facilities matter a little...but ask kids (or just be honest with yourself).

1. Can the coach/program get me to the next level?
2. Do they play an exciting style of basketball? Kids want to score and run like they see Villanova, the Houston Rockets or GS Warriors. No recruit is excited to come play for a team that scores 60-70 points and focuses on D. That’s just how it is...
3. Is there immediate playing time? I respect Mick’s theory of honoring hustle guys who stay 3-4 years...but it’s a reality that these grad transfers notice the Broome situation.
4. Coaches demeanor. I can respect a tough love coach, but that is more a more a thing of the past. Whether you like it or not, Mick rubs a lot of people/players the wrong way. You see Jay Wright act like him? You see WSU coach or Jonny Dawkins act like that?

Based on past evidence on the above...why would they come here? To come off the bench behind lesser talent, maybe average 5 ppg on a team that struggles to score? And sign up to play for a guy that might rub them the wrong way all the time? Odds are against it. Be honest.
I agree with most of this but I do think a certain type of player could score a lot in this offense we just never get that kind of player. SK thrived in it. Cumberland also seem to be suited for it when it runs through him. It takes good 1 on 1 / pick and roll players and shooters. two things we lack.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #443
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I had a freak out lol because I was really hoping we were gonna get Cremo.. lol oh well. Let’s get Fredericks I’m excited again!
From ACC website"

Cremo, who averaged 17.8 points on 60.4 percent true shooting this season, is as coveted a player on the transfer market. An accomplished scorer (1,469 career points), several prominent programs have approached Cremo — including Arizona, Ohio State and Cincinnati, among others."

At least they called us a prominent program...
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #444
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@EvanDaniels
Albany transfer Joe Cremo will visit Creighton this coming weekend, he tells @247Sports. Cremo averaged 17.8 PPG last season and is eligible immediately.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #445
spinal070508

spinal070508 is on a distinguished road
I think Cremo will be a buckeye.
spinal070508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #446
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We'll get someone awesome this spring.
I'm waiting!!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #447
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
I'm waiting!!
Whoa! When did I say that!?!? I'm guessing before the Nevada game?
Old 04-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #448
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Whoa! When did I say that!?!? I'm guessing before the Nevada game?
The new arena bump is still coming!! Hopefully we can land a low 3 star plus a top 50 juco...lol...jk.

I am really not very confident in what we can pick up right now...

Every year there seems to be one decent surprise though...so I remain optimistic in at least one decent recruit still to be named. Maybe off the radar late bloomer....who knows. Pretty Please??
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #449
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
The new arena bump is still coming!! Hopefully we can land a low 3 star plus a top 50 juco...lol...jk.

I am really not very confident in what we can pick up right now...

Every year there seems to be one decent surprise though...so I remain optimistic in at least one decent recruit still to be named. Maybe off the radar late bloomer....who knows. Pretty Please??
@JonRothstein
Kentucky's Sacha Killeya-Jones will transfer, per his Twitter page.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #450
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
For those of you waiting on Mick to change, forget it! You do not change the spots on a Dalmatian. If Mick coaches for another 25 years, his team will look basically the same. You could say that about a lot of coaches, too. The only thing that can hopefully change is who he recruits. He needs shooters/scorers. He pulls one out every once in a while, but not very often. New arena or not, Mick is the man. I would really like to know what goes thru a young man's brain when they are introduced to Mick Cronin. Do they have the same thoughts as when they meet Huggins or Mack? Do they?
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote