Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member
 
BearcatSpaniard513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 704
BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
UC President Ono offers full ride to Kim's sons

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...sons/29101709/

Santa Ono's Tweet: As a small token of gratitude to Officer Sonny Kim, UC will cover full undergraduate tuition for his 3 sons should they matriculate at UC
Santa J. Ono (@PrezOno) June 22, 2015

We are so lucky to have him as President! Cares about the students, athletics and is very much involved in the community. I hope we have him for many more years

BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member
 
david aka the TYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mason area
Posts: 2,941
david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
This is a class act all the way around. Good for Ono and good for anyone involved in the decision making.
__________________
representing the C
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Bulldog01
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,278
Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wonder if he does same for Sam kids.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member
 
david aka the TYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mason area
Posts: 2,941
david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Wonder if he does same for Sam kids.
Good question. My guess is it would be a conflict of interest or even a bribe somehow to even offer it in the same manner, but I think in a settlement it could and maybe should be offered. One way or the other UC will be paying his family a ton of money.

I'm glad this cop was wearing a body cam and we got to see what happened. I have alot of respect for Ono and I have full confidence he will handle this situation in the right way. I expect changes to be made regarding training and the jurisdiction UC officers will have. I was shocked to learn UC officers not only could pull people over off campus but that they had guns. I don't know why but I always assumed UC cops were more private security than real cops (not to demean them or put them down).
__________________
representing the C
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Bulldog01
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,278
Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Good question. My guess is it would be a conflict of interest or even a bribe somehow to even offer it in the same manner, but I think in a settlement it could and maybe should be offered. One way or the other UC will be paying his family a ton of money.

I'm glad this cop was wearing a body cam and we got to see what happened. I have alot of respect for Ono and I have full confidence he will handle this situation in the right way. I expect changes to be made regarding training and the jurisdiction UC officers will have. I was shocked to learn UC officers not only could pull people over off campus but that they had guns. I don't know why but I always assumed UC cops were more private security than real cops (not to demean them or put them down).
Campus police are the real deal. UC already got hit with massive lawsuit in 2011 from death of taser. UC police no longer use tasers because of that. I predict an record breaking lawsuit up in 20+ once it's all said and done. UC going to take big hit off this.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member
 
david aka the TYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mason area
Posts: 2,941
david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Campus police are the real deal. UC already got hit with massive lawsuit in 2011 from death of taser. UC police no longer use tasers because of that. I predict an record breaking lawsuit up in 20+ once it's all said and done. UC going to take big hit off this.
Yeah I'm afraid you're right.


EDIT: Although come to think of it, with UC being a public/state school, it will probably be the taxpayers footing the bill like it would be for any other cop. Especially if they're certified (probably not the right term) by the state of Ohio to enforce Ohio laws.
__________________
representing the C

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 07-29-2015 at 05:52 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
Bulldog01
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4,278
Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Yeah I'm afraid you're right.


EDIT: Although come to think of it, with UC being a public/state school, it will probably be the taxpayers footing the bill like it would be for any other cop. Especially if they're certified (probably not the right term) by the state of Ohio to enforce Ohio laws.
His family is more than likely going to sue uc,Cincinnati and state.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
bearcat8290
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 150
bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
I thought it was interesting when the other day, the Enquirer reported heated meetings with community church groups and leaders over the shooting. One man indicted the meetings were heated, another did not think so. In addition, the community leaders suggested a full and complete investigation and full compensation for the victim's family. Not sure I remember the last time a community group of activists suggested full compensation. My concerns with the victim are as follows:

-arrest record of over 90 arrests in Cincinnati Police records. That does not even suggest all of the crimes he committed that he was not arrested for that he also carried out.

-drug dealing. Not sure, but most people don't carry around 2 pounds of pot on them and not deal. He also had 2$600.00 dollars so my guess is he has already made some deals. He was dealing drugs. Maybe officer Tensing realized that and saw something suspicious and decided to pull him over on the minor license plate violation. Also one must consider all the lives he may have negatively affected because of his drug dealing.

-victim failed to get out of the car after requests by the officer. That in and of itself is a violation. He was uncooperative during the entire period of time.

-The prosecution is making it's case to the public calling Tensing's actions as stupid and of poor judgement.

Concerns with Police officer actions:

-officer in general reacted too quickly in shooting driver

-fatal shots maybe could have been avoided. Could have possibly let him go, however, he may have discovered and know more than the general public as to why he pulled him over. For instance, prior to the stop, Tensing may have witnessed Debose dealing drugs somewhere near campus. We all know that kind of thing happens up there more than it should. When and after the suspicious behavior, he decided to pull over Debose and question him about his license and check further on him.

-may not have been trained properly on use of new guns
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member
 
WAITE HOYT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,216
WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
I thought it was interesting when the other day, the Enquirer reported heated meetings with community church groups and leaders over the shooting. One man indicted the meetings were heated, another did not think so. In addition, the community leaders suggested a full and complete investigation and full compensation for the victim's family. Not sure I remember the last time a community group of activists suggested full compensation. My concerns with the victim are as follows:

-arrest record of over 90 arrests in Cincinnati Police records. That does not even suggest all of the crimes he committed that he was not arrested for that he also carried out.

-drug dealing. Not sure, but most people don't carry around 2 pounds of pot on them and not deal. He also had 2$600.00 dollars so my guess is he has already made some deals. He was dealing drugs. Maybe officer Tensing realized that and saw something suspicious and decided to pull him over on the minor license plate violation. Also one must consider all the lives he may have negatively affected because of his drug dealing.

-victim failed to get out of the car after requests by the officer. That in and of itself is a violation. He was uncooperative during the entire period of time.

-The prosecution is making it's case to the public calling Tensing's actions as stupid and of poor judgement.

Concerns with Police officer actions:

-officer in general reacted too quickly in shooting driver

-fatal shots maybe could have been avoided. Could have possibly let him go, however, he may have discovered and know more than the general public as to why he pulled him over. For instance, prior to the stop, Tensing may have witnessed Debose dealing drugs somewhere near campus. We all know that kind of thing happens up there more than it should. When and after the suspicious behavior, he decided to pull over Debose and question him about his license and check further on him.

-may not have been trained properly on use of new guns
bearcat8920 The 90 arrest are not convictions. How many of the 90 was he found guilty of?
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
bearcat8290
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 150
bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
good point. We don't know that either. I would assume many are convictions.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.