Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
One has to wonder, if Ohio State gets the nod and Baylor and whiny TCU don't get in, all heck will break loose. Will that open the door for Big 12 expansion? Here's the way I look at it. According to ESPN this morning, Ohio State has a better SOS by 9 points over TCU and TCU by four over Baylor. Baylor beat TCU. All three have one loss. Big 12, no way to settle tie. Big 12 bylays say the conference champion is determined when teams tie by head to head match up and that team takes the best bowl. Baylor wins that. Baylor and TCU will be tied up in legal wrangling should one or the other go. So path of least resistance and better team, Ohio State gets the nod. Ohio State will also travel better than Baylor and TCU, two small private schools in Texas. Ohio State will have a legion of people going to the game no matter where they go. Ohio State hottest team in the country right now. Finally, no way a Big 10 team gets left out of the mix. My guess, Ohio State goes to the final 4. TCU and Baylor out and Big 12 out. Wins over Oklahoma by both Baylor and TCU diminished due to Oklahoma loss to Oklahoma State yesterday. Ohio State may have helped our cause immensely in terms of moving to the Big 12.

Therefore, conference expansion in the Big 12 will be ripe and ready to happen. For UC lucky to have a share of the title in the AAC this year. We have the best football resume in the league over the past 10 years. Good one in basketball too. If I were the King of the Big 12, the expansion would be UC, UCF, Memphis and East Carolina.
hope your right I have been thinking the same thing.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
One has to wonder, if Ohio State gets the nod and Baylor and whiny TCU don't get in, all heck will break loose. Will that open the door for Big 12 expansion? Here's the way I look at it. According to ESPN this morning, Ohio State has a better SOS by 9 points over TCU and TCU by four over Baylor. Baylor beat TCU. All three have one loss. Big 12, no way to settle tie. Big 12 bylays say the conference champion is determined when teams tie by head to head match up and that team takes the best bowl. Baylor wins that. Baylor and TCU will be tied up in legal wrangling should one or the other go. So path of least resistance and better team, Ohio State gets the nod. Ohio State will also travel better than Baylor and TCU, two small private schools in Texas. Ohio State will have a legion of people going to the game no matter where they go. Ohio State hottest team in the country right now. Finally, no way a Big 10 team gets left out of the mix. My guess, Ohio State goes to the final 4. TCU and Baylor out and Big 12 out. Wins over Oklahoma by both Baylor and TCU diminished due to Oklahoma loss to Oklahoma State yesterday. Ohio State may have helped our cause immensely in terms of moving to the Big 12.

Therefore, conference expansion in the Big 12 will be ripe and ready to happen. For UC lucky to have a share of the title in the AAC this year. We have the best football resume in the league over the past 10 years. Good one in basketball too. If I were the King of the Big 12, the expansion would be UC, UCF, Memphis and East Carolina.
Nice post. I am having the exact some thoughts as well. Never thought I would be rooting for O$U but I hope they get the 4th spot. IMO, I think its a lock for them. Besides being on a ridiculous roll right now, it all comes down to how much money the NCAA will make of these playoff games. OSU is going to bring in way more money than a Baylor/TCU. I would also like to see how OSU plays against real competition instead of the lowly Big 10.
Ultimately I am thinking just how you are. With the Big 12 not having a conference championship game screams for expansion, point blank.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
You have 4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences. 4 of the power 5 have a conference championship and the Big 12 is at a huge competitive disadvantage without one. Should Baylor and TCU both be left out today I think there's almost certainly going to be some Big 12 members advocating hard for expansion.

For the Big 12 to remain relevant and not be looked at like the Big East was in the BCS Era they're going to need to go to 12 at some point. I know they have a GOR but that could fall apart very quickly if the member schools argue that the conference affiliation is putting them at a competitive disadvantage.

Should be interesting to see what happens from here, if anything. The problem with this post is I'm using rational thought and we all know that conference expansion has nothing to do with rational thought.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
You have 4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences. 4 of the power 5 have a conference championship and the Big 12 is at a huge competitive disadvantage without one. Should Baylor and TCU both be left out today I think there's almost certainly going to be some Big 12 members advocating hard for expansion.

For the Big 12 to remain relevant and not be looked at like the Big East was in the BCS Era they're going to need to go to 12 at some point. I know they have a GOR but that could fall apart very quickly if the member schools argue that the conference affiliation is putting them at a competitive disadvantage.

Should be interesting to see what happens from here, if anything. The problem with this post is I'm using rational thought and we all know that conference expansion has nothing to do with rational thought.
hahahaha isn't that the truth!! One thing is for sure, the Big 12 will be missing out on a ton of money...and we all know, cash rules everything. Lets get this expansion moving
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

The P5 now have autonomy and will vote during the summer if it is necessary to have 12 teams for a conference championship. The B12 may be able to have a championship with only 10 schools.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati will never play in the Big 12 as it is currently constructed. Absolutely no chance. If they do, I'll leave this board forever....
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Ohio State isn't going to get in the playoff.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Your crazy if you believe that
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
Your crazy if you believe that
To be clear, they'd be in my playoff...but it isn't my playoff. Either way, we'll find out soon enough.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
5 dimes has tOSU as -510 favorites to make the playoff right now... Should be some free money out there for you to take the other side.

Also fingers crossed tOSU gets in because it definitely helps our chances of a big12 invite.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote