Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Stats

I know we have some big stats people on here, does anyone use value-added basketball? Here is a link for those who are interested:http://valueaddbasketball.com. It sounds similar to WAR in baseball and it has grown the past few years, especially in the NBA.
Here is the cheat sheet to understanding it:
>9 is an All-American
>3 is a BCS starter
Can't go lower than 0.0 (overall, as negatives are good as far as defense goes)

SK is fourth in college basketball at 8.61
Justin Jackson is 104th in the nation at 5.04
Titus Rubles is third, with a 2.86
Troy Caupain is fourth on the team at 2.43, which is great considering his split PT
Shaq and Sanders both combine for a 3.28 which is pretty good
Justin Jackson takes away -3.61 more than the average defender does on defense, with Titus Rubles coming in second at -2.01.

These stats aren't perfect, but they are very interesting and they are good for comparing teams and players. Here is an in-depth breakdown on how it is formulated and then applied:http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-S...-point-spreads

Last edited by JumpinJack5; 01-05-2014 at 11:03 PM.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
It is definitely a good stat and they did an excellent job of quantifying the "bench player" and how they averaged all the non-rotation players of BCS conference schools, and then mid majors, etc.

Obviously players like Kilpatrick who have very high usage percentages (and high minute %) are going to be valued highly in these statistics because they have much more impact on a game (either positively or negatively).

Overall, it is definitely a good stat to keep in your back pocket. Looking at UC's numbers I see how effective Rubles and Jackson are defensively. This metric rates Justin Jackson as the 2nd best defensive player in the country.

The team valued added rates Cincinnati as #19 as well...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
It is definitely a good stat and they did an excellent job of quantifying the "bench player" and how they averaged all the non-rotation players of BCS conference schools, and then mid majors, etc.

Obviously players like Kilpatrick who have very high usage percentages (and high minute %) are going to be valued highly in these statistics because they have much more impact on a game (either positively or negatively).

Overall, it is definitely a good stat to keep in your back pocket. Looking at UC's numbers I see how effective Rubles and Jackson are defensively. This metric rates Justin Jackson as the 2nd best defensive player in the country.

The team valued added rates Cincinnati as #19 as well...
NTS, I am going back now and looking at stats from previous years. It goes back to '06, so it is cool to see player progression and team progression since then. It is definitely a neat stat, glad I stumbled upon it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
I know we have some big stats people on here, does anyone use value-added basketball? Here is a link for those who are interested:http://valueaddbasketball.com. It sounds similar to WAR in baseball and it has grown the past few years, especially in the NBA.
Here is the cheat sheet to understanding it:
>9 is an All-American
>3 is a BCS starter
Can't go lower than 0.0 (overall, as negatives are good as far as defense goes)

SK is fourth in college basketball at 8.61
Justin Jackson is 104th in the nation at 5.04
Titus Rubles is third, with a 2.86
Troy Caupain is fourth on the team at 2.43, which is great considering his split PT
Shaq and Sanders both combine for a 3.28 which is pretty good
Justin Jackson takes away -3.61 more than the average defender does on defense, with Titus Rubles coming in second at -2.01.

These stats aren't perfect, but they are very interesting and they are good for comparing teams and players. Here is an in-depth breakdown on how it is formulated and then applied:http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-S...-point-spreads
Thanks for posting this. I think these stats are really cool. Interestingly, Sanders and Shaq aren't all that far apart. (1.94 to 1.34). Sanders has the edge on offense and Shaq on defense. If anything it gives Mick the ability to focus on match-ups.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I think these stats are really cool. Interestingly, Sanders and Shaq aren't all that far apart. (1.94 to 1.34). Sanders has the edge on offense and Shaq on defense. If anything it gives Mick the ability to focus on match-ups.
Welcome, I'm glad I found them. I'm gonna try to do some graphs on excel when I get the time, and I am going to make an article out of it on the website that I write for.