Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Moore needs stay in rotation. Only way he's going to learn is through experience
Not sure if we can afford that in the biggest of big games. I agree in general though.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #12
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Not sure if we can afford that in the biggest of big games. I agree in general though.
You can afford 6-8min of Moore. Just needs stop trying score and focus on rebounds
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #13
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
I agree. Those 6-8 minutes for the big men is critical. It gives others the rest they need to finish the game (Ellis and Deberry). Moore simply needs to be productive. Whether that is rebounding, second chance points, passing or shooting.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Bearcats better clean up the defensive rotations... They are giving up way to many wide open threes.
It would be great if we can clean that up a little but it's been an issue for the style of D we play all along. All the rotations and switches we do...it's going to happen here and there but sometimes it happens too much. Bottom line is our D is extremely good in most other aspects. I feel that is one thing we have to live with from time to time to play the style we do. Last game was too many...I agree
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #15
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
I remember Xavier shredding the matchup zone last year forcing UC to go to man-to-man which they were much better at. I wish we'd see more man defense with switches vs the matchup zone we are playing in now. It leads to way to many open 3's and good shooting teams will have a field day with it.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I remember Xavier shredding the matchup zone last year forcing UC to go to man-to-man which they were much better at. I wish we'd see more man defense with switches vs the matchup zone we are playing in now. It leads to way to many open 3's and good shooting teams will have a field day with it.
That may not be a bad idea but we are 4th in the nation in scoring D. Changing things around to fix one glaring issue may not be the best fix. I think we just need to be more aware of it really.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That may not be a bad idea but we are 4th in the nation in scoring D. Changing things around to fix one glaring issue may not be the best fix. I think we just need to be more aware of it really.
I think you also have to look at who we have been playing. But I think it's a good defense to use but would also like to have a pure man defense in the arsenal against teams like Butler and Xavier that are good passing/shooting teams.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Agreed

Plus, GW was the exception, not the rule. Normally we hold teams to very low 3 point scoring %

I mean Im almost betting it was part of the game plan. You face a team with great bigs who shoot 25% from 3, the game plan is to shut down the bigs and give them the 3 point shot.

If George Washington shot there season average, UC would have won by 20. Just so happens that they had a single good game from 3
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

I mean Im almost betting it was part of the game plan. You face a team with great bigs who shoot 25% from 3, the game plan is to shut down the bigs and give them the 3 point shot.
Exactly. Just like last year they didn't mind Dee Davis shooting 3's, he just happened to have the game of his life. The 3-point defense has always been good with Cronin here.

Gary Clark, Shaq, and Jenifer are 11-23 on the season from 3, would anybody here care if we let any of those 3 shoot wide open 3's all day? Of course not, but weird things can happen in small sample sizes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Well you guys know regardless of the stats and what defense we throw at X, someone(s) will have a career day shooting and won't duplicate it again all year. It will piss all of us off and then we go about the rest of the season lol
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote