Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #331
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
People are missing that I feel it’s coaching that Is failing Vogt. When I say Vogt is being abused, it doesn’t mean he didn’t do his job. It means the coaching staff didn’t put him in a position where he can be successful.

Chris Vogt can’t help that the defense he has been taught teaches him to follow a non shooting big like tyrique to the perimeter.

Xavier in general can’t shoot. But they have 4 guys who can get to the rim and he we are letting Xavier’s plays pull our big out of the most effective area.

Travis Steele out coached us.
Hell I can agree we shouldn't follow a big who can't shoot out of the paint with Vogt. But someone else then has to help on the pick or screen. Who leaves their man to help do that while Vogt stays in the paint? And what happens when their man is left open for 3?

I have heard you calling for a 1 man zone type of scenario (I think) where we hide/keep Vogt in the paint. I am not trying to misrepresent your argument just trying to understand how it would work?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #332
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Hell I can agree we shouldn't follow a big who can't shoot out of the paint with Vogt. But someone else then has to help on the pick or screen. Who leaves their man to help do that while Vogt stays in the paint? And what happens when their man is left open for 3?

I have heard you calling for a 1 man zone type of scenario (I think) where we hide/keep Vogt in the paint. I am not trying to misrepresent your argument just trying to understand how it would work?

You mean leaving Goodin open for a 3 ?

Or do you mean Chris Vogt covering him while he shoots the 3?

Goodin is a trash 3 point shooter. Let him take it.

Chris Vogt statistically can’t cover jump shooters well any way. It’s his weakest defensive position.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #333
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I don’t get paid the big bucks to coach defense. John Brannen does.

Like l pointed out with facts, our 2nd half defense in games against top 105 teams is atrocious.

People called mick stubborn for sticking with the Matchup zone when it failed us in certain games. I think it’s fail to call CJB the same if he doesn’t figure out a better second half defense.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #334
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Chris Vogt statistically can’t cover jump shooters well any way. It’s his weakest defensive position.
All I asked is what defensive scheme are you coming up with to leave Vogt in the paint??? I OBVIOUSLY said Vogt would not be the guy covering the perimeter because YOU were the one that said it can't happen. Give me your plan...
Old 12-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #335
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don’t get paid the big bucks to coach defense. John Brannen does.

Like l pointed out with facts, our 2nd half defense in games against top 105 teams is atrocious.

People called mick stubborn for sticking with the Matchup zone when it failed us in certain games. I think it’s fail to call CJB the same if he doesn’t figure out a better second half defense.
Is that your answer? Underwhelming...
Old 12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #336
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Is that your answer? Underwhelming...
Is your answer whoever is on Goodin to leave their man? I am just trying to figure this out...
Old 12-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #337
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Marshall was a trash 3 point shooter too. You saw what that got us.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #338
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Is that not every big mans weakest defensive position? It'd be kind of odd if it wasn't.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #339
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Is that not every big mans weakest defensive position? It'd be kind of odd if it wasn't.
Vogt is the worst big man defender we’ve had at cincinnati in the synergy era.

So while yes. Bigs aren’t good at guarding jump shooters, I’ll ask you to go lookup nysier Brooks defense on a Conner frankamp game winning jumper our to the 3 point line. It was pretty damn amazing and couldn’t have done any better with out blocking the shot.

As for a solution... I think against teams who can shoot like Xavier, you might want to bust out a 2-3 zone. Make a team who shoots 27% on the year beat us from from 3 and live with results.

This team can’t defend. And Brannen’s defense relies on guys being able to defend in space. But they clearly can’t, so why have we not seen an adjustment.

Lolol I’m literally asking for the staff to make adjustments and people are debating with me about it as if the team hasn’t allowed 40+ points in the 2nd half to every good team we’ve played.

That’s a clear as day pattern. So find a solution and fix it.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #340
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Is your answer whoever is on Goodin to leave their man? I am just trying to figure this out...
I’d rather leave Goodin yes. Bait him into an inefficient jumper or let him drive into the paint where a 7 footer is waiting on him.

I guess I’m just used to our bigs being a bit more athletic.

Again, I’m not dissing Vogt. I just want our defense to be put in spots where they can succeed. Brannen May have to turn these guys into a 2nd half zone team.

But clearly, you are putting a ton of effort into defending this defense. So I’m assuming you’re happy with it. I’m glad it works for you. To me it doesn’t.

Like you won’t get a sticker for defending the program on this one. The defense sucks against good teams especially in the 2nd half. I’ve showed both vogts numbers, I showed the points we’ve allowed in the 2nd half and I’ve showed that it hasn’t gotten better.

I’m asking for the guy who said this was a defensive team all preseason to show me why he said that.