Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 11+ 11 30.56%
UC wins by 6-10 14 38.89%
UC wins by 1-5 8 22.22%
Temple wins 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #471
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
In just two minutes of play I thought Ellie looked good. He came in and got after it on D and ripped a rebound down when we were struggling dealing with brute strength down low. Scott had 4 turnovers in 4 minutes. Brooks looked a little shaky at first but settled down a bit...he did lead the team in rebounds so that's good. He has a decent jump hook that will be okay at times next year. He's not strong with the ball in his hands and can't finish well in the interior. Maybe Diara can offer us something over Scott next year on offense.

We need a grad transfer big for next year pretty bad or we will have to play 4 guards. Maybe even a grad transfer and a Juco big. We should have 6 guards who can play. We have to find a big who can score down low. Defenses will crowd the perimeter and won't have to double down.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #472
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Agreed, the actual defense definitely wasn't the problem. The offensive rebounding the defense allowed is a HUGE problem because this isn't the first game we've been blitzed on offensive boards. That along with our 3pt shooting and ft shooting almost doomed us.

Honestly I don't think we really played that bad in the second half. If we make even just the wide open 3s and shoot 75% from ft we win by 10+.

Most teams dont shoot 21% from 3, 60% from the line (on 20 shots!), and give up 17 offensive boards and still win. We only had 23 defensive boards so almost half of their misses they rebounded...
I don't know about "blitzed"...Temple had 17 offensive boards, so did the Cats - Temple had 18 defensive boards, the Cats had 23. So, we held our own on the offensive glass and out-rebounded them by 5 overall.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #473
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I think Tre has potential but he was the worst player on the court for both teams last night. 4 brutal turnovers and two rebounds in 4 minutes is shockingly bad.
year 3 in the program. Hes as good as hes going to get
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #474
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In just two minutes of play I thought Ellie looked good. He came in and got after it on D and ripped a rebound down when we were struggling dealing with brute strength down low. Scott had 4 turnovers in 4 minutes. Brooks looked a little shaky at first but settled down a bit...he did lead the team in rebounds so that's good. He has a decent jump hook that will be okay at times next year. He's not strong with the ball in his hands and can't finish well in the interior. Maybe Diara can offer us something over Scott next year on offense.

We need a grad transfer big for next year pretty bad or we will have to play 4 guards. Maybe even a grad transfer and a Juco big. We should have 6 guards who can play. We have to find a big who can score down low. Defenses will crowd the perimeter and won't have to double down.
yea all depends on if we get last years cumberland or this years cumberland
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #475
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
not hyperbole at all. Scott is not an effective Division 1 basketball player. Hes just not. people can glamour at his athleticism, but hes not a basketball player. So they can be compared. Quadri is not a division 1 basketball player, and neither is scott

And sorry, but I do know what im watching..And im not even close to the only one who thinks this.
I think Scott can be useful in certain situations. He's not an option to score so he becomes a facilitator on offense. His D is good but he's no Justin Jackson. He's good for 5-10 back up minutes when needed but not much more.

This doesn't mean he's not D1 BB player. If you can guard at the D1 level you are a D1 BB player. Maybe that means only spot minutes...but we need those too. What we will need next year is a D1 starter.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #476
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedogg27 View Post
Cats play anyone who doesn't back down on defense and they wilt.
Yup! Gotta find way to get the rebound or ball from made basket and go before the D sets up.

I'll take the win though lol
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #477
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
I don't know about "blitzed"...Temple had 17 offensive boards, so did the Cats - Temple had 18 defensive boards, the Cats had 23. So, we held our own on the offensive glass and out-rebounded them by 5 overall.
but temple is one of the worst rebounding teams in college. we allowed them to rebound 42.5% of their misses they average 29%.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #478
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
not hyperbole at all. Scott is not an effective Division 1 basketball player. Hes just not. people can glamour at his athleticism, but hes not a basketball player. So they can be compared. Quadri is not a division 1 basketball player, and neither is scott

And sorry, but I do know what im watching..And im not even close to the only one who thinks this.
Worst take you've ever had then. You can still take it back.

Scott has a very defined role. He plays it well. He's not going to be a scorer this year, and may not ever score more than 6-8 but he screens well, rebounds well, plays tough interior defense, is athletic enough to switch and fit our defensive scheme, and he handles the ball well in the high post and makes good passes and decisions on handoffs.

If that to you is Q Moore bc "neither are D1 players" then all I can do is smh. Such a crappy take it's hard to even wrap my head around the idea that someone would stand by this and want to be taken seriously as a basketball person.

I mean, really? That's your take? He's an established rotation player on a Top 15 team as a SO but you and "others" (L-T) think he's not a D1 player? And that's the only thing you can cling to to compare him to Q Moore? Can't even mention anything basketball-wise. Weak shit. Horrible take. Worst comparison I've ever seen of 2 athletes in my entire life. Get a clue.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #479
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Here is something I'll throw out there.

What if we start Cane at PG and Moore at Cumberland's wing. Cumberland was much more effective last year coming off the bench. Maybe putting him back in that role could help get him started again. Also if he does provide offense with the second unit it may lead Mick to start Cane with the first unit. I think one fear Mick has is not having any scores on the bench in games like last night. I know I if Cane was available when we were forced to use Scott Brooks and Williams I would have felt a bit better about our chances of scoring with him in the game. That is where I think we may have missed Cane the most last night. Also contrary to popular opinion Mick doesn't go into the game deciding how much each player will play. He has a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the team and utilizes his personnel accordingly. Lots beyond our eyes go into making those decisions. You may not always agree with his decisions which is certainly your right.
It might not be a bad idea. Would either give Moore more room for an open three or drag a defender off Clark and Washington. Some people just play better being an off the bench, instant offense kind of guy. Maybe Cumberland just has that mindset compared to a play 30min, play hard on both sides, pick your spots carefully kind of guy. He seems to be better at the quick drives, up tempo play; not really long drawn out clocks.

I think one thing having Broome play early would be getting our offense going earlier because we've had alot of slow starts this year.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #480
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I loved Ellie's energy when he came in. It was much needed.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote