Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 11+ 11 30.56%
UC wins by 6-10 14 38.89%
UC wins by 1-5 8 22.22%
Temple wins 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #21
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think end of a close game is still something we have to see but overall we win if we play our game. I think if this team controls turnovers we are hard to stop. We are generally going to rebound and play D. Even on a cold shooting night we can beat most teams like temple with effort related stats and keeping turnovers to 12 or less.
I really hope we don't waste too many offensive possessions on missed bunny shots around the rim and on fast break opportunities. Seems like it's been tough to finish around the rim during some of the games.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
They've lost 3 straight and at home against Tulane bc they suck. Showing the nation that they suck again isn't s reason for me to be afraid of losing to them.
There’s a reason basketball people (players & coaches) don’t talk down their opponents- it’s a lose-lose situation- you win & it’s no big deal...you were supposed to & they suck. Lose, & you lost to a team that sucks, & you suck worse.

Last edited by juckerrules; 01-02-2018 at 07:06 PM.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
There’s a reason basketball people (players & coaches) don’t talk down their opponents- it’s a lose-lose situation- you win & it’s no big deal...you were supposed to & they suck. Lose, & you lost to a team that sucks, do you suck worse.
No, if we lose we don't suck worse. If we lose, they will have played as well as they can and we we will have played extremely poorly. That's the only way they beat us. Obviously it could happen. But it isn't likely. And it wouldn't be a reflection of anything bigger. Some teams are good and some are bad. We are good. They are bad. That's how it is.

I think as fans we can call it how it is. Temple plays trash basketball. They could lose to anyone on any given day, and they do. Then being on a losing streak doesn't secretly mean they're extra scary. It means they're terrible and not above losing horrible games all year.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #24
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
No, if we lose we don't suck worse. If we lose, they will have played as well as they can and we we will have played extremely poorly. That's the only way they beat us. Obviously it could happen. But it isn't likely. And it wouldn't be a reflection of anything bigger. Some teams are good and some are bad. We are good. They are bad. That's how it is.

I think as fans we can call it how it is. Temple plays trash basketball. They could lose to anyone on any given day, and they do. Then being on a losing streak doesn't secretly mean they're extra scary. It means they're terrible and not above losing horrible games all year.
I agree that we are the better team...just saying we can’t take any game too lightly- Temple has beaten some pretty decent teams this year - they’ve also lost to some ho-hum teams - KenPom has us winning by 6. - seems about right to me. I just think talking an opponent down is a losing proposition - that’s why coaches never do it - ‘course we’re just fans, so we can talk all the trash we want with no repercussionss, so have at it -

Last edited by juckerrules; 01-02-2018 at 07:20 PM.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
I agree that we are the better team...just saying we can’t take any game too lightly- Temple has beaten some pretty decent teams this year - they’ve also lost to some ho-hum teams - KenPom has us winning by 6. - seems about right to me. I just think talking an opponent down is a losing proposition - that’s why coaches never do it - ‘course we’re just fans, so we can talk all the trash we want with no repercussionss, so have at it -
I voted on the 6-10 margin, so it's not like I'm expecting to blow their doors off. I think we're in the same boat about thinking we're the superior team. I expect our guys to out-execute them.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #26
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Temple lead at the half @Houston. Both teams took the no defense approach in the first half.

Im watching it now.

Temple can score. Josh brown has nice floater. Quinton rose is showing he is a good shooter but Obi is just blah. He is a senior who makes rookie mistakes all game and is a softy inside.

UC needs to attack the basket and also feed clark and Washington. They can't stop us down there
Obi is Quadri if he got 30 minutes a night
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I really hope we don't waste too many offensive possessions on missed bunny shots around the rim and on fast break opportunities. Seems like it's been tough to finish around the rim during some of the games.
Yah...I feel like Gary has hurried a few bunnies this year causing him to miss point blank. You don't get much time down there before the defender can react but if we can concentrate just a little more on making it than getting it off quick we can improve here. It's a minor adjustment but I see us making a few more of those than we have.

This is the kind of nit picking that is more of a luxury than the things we have had to improve in the past. We are talking about more minor issues compared to improving major issues in the past. If we were #1 I think we would all still find something little we could work on...we would just have smaller issues to address.

Right now Turnovers and FT shooting are pretty big issues to address. Getting the right PG mix is also something we need to work out. Every team is going to miss some bunnies so I think that will correct itself with the caliber of players we have.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
Obi is Quadri if he got 30 minutes a night
It's uncanny lol.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #29
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Although I love watching Cane play I really hope he sits out this game unless he's seriously 100%. Cronin and the staff know what to do and Cronin has addressed the situation plenty of times making sure he's for sure ready before he plays. I just want him at full go when the time is right and don't want this to linger.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #30
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Temple wise we should beat them, but I know we always look a little off there and temple always turns this into an ugly game. Just win and move on. I just hope they don't shoot lights out. I watched their game against Tulane and they looked awful IMO. That was pretty sad after returning home against a team you should beat after just losing bad in the game before.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote