Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
BEARCAT-4-LIFE

BEARCAT-4-LIFE is on a distinguished road
Ge'Lawn Guyn

I hate to harp on this kid, but him jacking up 3's blows my mind, GG is so physical would love to see him drive more. The 0.8 assist is crazy I just think this kid has so much more potential instead of trying to be a Curry from long range.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCAT-4-LIFE View Post
I hate to harp on this kid, but him jacking up 3's blows my mind, GG is so physical would love to see him drive more. The 0.8 assist is crazy I just think this kid has so much more potential instead of trying to be a Curry from long range.
I synced up my tv with my radio last night so I could listen to Dan and Chuck and they commented on how GG is playing with injuries and Chuck believes it is affecting his shooting. I believe he is referring to his shoulder, and if that is the case, I can see why he might be hesitant to drive. Don't get me wrong, I think he could use some work on his shot anyway, but as someone who was little more than a knockdown shooter when I played in HS, I can see how an injury like that could affect the stroke.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCAT-4-LIFE View Post
He drove me crazy on the out of bounds pass beneath the basket that he threw directly to the Central Florida guy.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I believe he has the highest vertical jump on the team...you would never know it because he thinks he is Ray Allen but he is def. gifted athletically.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Nothing really looks smooth with him....

With that being said, he needs to be able to shoot and make and open three. I rarely think he forces a three. He HAS to take the open ones... It would be ideal if he made a few more but it just is what it is at this point.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Nothing really looks smooth with him....

With that being said, he needs to be able to shoot and make and open three. I rarely think he forces a three. He HAS to take the open ones... It would be ideal if he made a few more but it just is what it is at this point.
I don't mind him shooting open 3's at all unless it's NBA range early in the clock which he tends to do at least once a game. I say if you want to shoot threes you are also going to have to show me you are going to at least TRY to get in the lane first.

There are some players who get a little lazy when selecting shots. I don't want players settling for 3 pointers all day unless they knock down close to 40% and don't have much ball skills...but all of our guards and wings have sufficient ball skills. I would put Sanders in this category as well but he is at least shooting pretty well right now. I would prefer more driving mixed in with threes.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
I thought he played a good game last night. Sure his shot selection could be better, he probably should only be taking 1 or 2 threes a game, but his D last night was stellar. He was hounding the UCF guards. That's why he gets the PT
Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Had had 3 or 4 steals last night. Solid game for Guyn.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I think Guyn's shots are too strong. He seems to have good mechanics, I think he needs to find a way to put a little more of a soft touch on them. Like it or not, Mick encourages his players to take the open shot so I don't think we'll see Guyn shooting any less.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Had had 3 or 4 steals last night. Solid game for Guyn.
Yes, he is a very good defender. 3 steals is not a typical night for him...but on the ball he is great. Bottom line is we need his D to keep this team in the conversation as one of the best D's in the country. So he is valuable...and I would like him to become more valuable by focusing on driving more. He may not be the excellent passer Caupain is...but he doesn't have to be.

He's gives it his all when he's out there on D...not much else we can ask from him there. On offense I would ask for less 3's and more penetration...and I think that was the very point of this thread.
Closed Thread