Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
hawk_a_holic

hawk_a_holic is on a distinguished road
About the Hawkeyes from a Hawkeye

I come in peace. I watched every game the past 33 years except in 2006 when 14 Northwestern State beat 3 Iowa in the 1st round. Taped it and deleted it. Anyways, I picked you to win and go to the Elite 8 but here is a synopsis of Iowa and what to expect. Player rundown:

Cook- 6-9 Jr. Leading scorer and very quick and explosive. Good hook shot but no offense at all beyond 5 feet. Decent rebounder but not great (8 per game). 67% foul shooter and goes to the line a lot.

Garza 6-11 SO. 13 ppg and a good center under the basket and shoots the 3 fairly well. 83 % foul shooter as well. Pretty tough but is a HORRENDOUS rebounder at 4.5 per game. At least 3 times a game the ball is just taken from him. Also, when he is under the basket and he puts it on the deck, well, good for you for forcing another TO.

Weiskamp- 6-6 FR. 11ppg and had a strong year and hit the game winner at Rutgers. One of the only guys athletic enough to finish at the rim. Great rebounder for a 3.

Bohannon- 6-1 JR He needs like 3 more triples to set the all time record at Iowa and has a whole year left. He can go 35 minutes as a pedestrian and then go off for 15 points at will late. Easily best clutch player at Iowa and one of the best clutch players I've ever seen at any level. Indiana's radio guys only Reggie Miller was as clutch as he has been. 90% foul shooter and primary ball handler. He is SLOW on defense but can hit a 25 footer with a guy in his face as well. An absolute 2 trying to play the 1.

Moss- 6-6 JR. Great shooter usually and a guy who can go off and score an insane amount in a short period. Had 19 points in 90 seconds in a game last year nailing 3's and he is an 80 plus % FT shooter. Worst handles of a guard this side of 9th grade when penetrating but can create shot. He is either on fire or total non-factor. You will know 10 minutes into the game which one shows up.

BENCH
Kriener at 6'9 and Baer at 6'7 most relevant and probably the keys to beating Cincinnati if we are going to do it. Kriener is tough and fairly skilled around the basket and physical. Baer will do everything well except hit free throws. Baer could be a leading scorer.

Iowa leads the nation in FT attempts and hits as a team at about 74%. My biggest hope for an Iowa win (remember I picked you to win and actually get to Elite 8) is we draw fouls and get your bigs in trouble so we can feed Cook, Garza, Baer and Kriener. That would open up our 3 and when we establish the paint and get the opponents big man in foul trouble, we get to the bonus and free throw the opponent to death late especially with a 90% FT shooter as our primary ball handler. We will be very much out athlete. That won't be a question. This is how a very (white) generally slow team won 22 overall and 10 conference wins in arguably the toughest conf. in the nation top to bottom.

I pick Cincy 72 Iowa 69. Iowa will hold Cumberland to about his average of 18 up to about 21 but will focus on him and do OK. Like Harper (7 point per game scorer at Rutgers) getting his career high of 21 and then 27 both against Iowa or the 2 ppg guy at Ohio State who had 8 3'w and 29 points against us, history says one of your 6-8 ppg guys will go off and be the difference to a narrow win.
hawk_a_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Was curious if you guys were upset with it being in Columbus
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
hawk_a_holic

hawk_a_holic is on a distinguished road
Kind of. Seeing Minnesota get Des Moines as a 10 (3 hours south) and we get a draw that should be a 5, 6 at worst. Iowa gets a 6 loss Cincinnati who just beat Houston by 12 and Minnesota gets a 13 loss Louisville. Getting the Bearcats in Ohio is added insult to injury.
hawk_a_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk_a_holic View Post
Kind of. Seeing Minnesota get Des Moines as a 10 (3 hours south) and we get a draw that should be a 5, 6 at worst. Iowa gets a 6 loss Cincinnati who just beat Houston by 12 and Minnesota gets a 13 loss Louisville. Getting the Bearcats in Ohio is added insult to injury.
Yeah my thoughts are I don’t mind not getting a 5/6 seed if we got a 7 in Columbus, to say we travel descent would be generous so with it being 90-100 miles away I would hope it’s going to be a home game for us. If you guys do win, Tennessee isn’t as close as the like, but they do travel well, I’d be interested to see how there turnout will be in Columbus.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Bearcats92

Bearcats92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk_a_holic View Post
I come in peace. I watched every game the past 33 years except in 2006 when 14 Northwestern State beat 3 Iowa in the 1st round. Taped it and deleted it. Anyways, I picked you to win and go to the Elite 8 but here is a synopsis of Iowa and what to expect. Player rundown:

Cook- 6-9 Jr. Leading scorer and very quick and explosive. Good hook shot but no offense at all beyond 5 feet. Decent rebounder but not great (8 per game). 67% foul shooter and goes to the line a lot.

Garza 6-11 SO. 13 ppg and a good center under the basket and shoots the 3 fairly well. 83 % foul shooter as well. Pretty tough but is a HORRENDOUS rebounder at 4.5 per game. At least 3 times a game the ball is just taken from him. Also, when he is under the basket and he puts it on the deck, well, good for you for forcing another TO.

Weiskamp- 6-6 FR. 11ppg and had a strong year and hit the game winner at Rutgers. One of the only guys athletic enough to finish at the rim. Great rebounder for a 3.

Bohannon- 6-1 JR He needs like 3 more triples to set the all time record at Iowa and has a whole year left. He can go 35 minutes as a pedestrian and then go off for 15 points at will late. Easily best clutch player at Iowa and one of the best clutch players I've ever seen at any level. Indiana's radio guys only Reggie Miller was as clutch as he has been. 90% foul shooter and primary ball handler. He is SLOW on defense but can hit a 25 footer with a guy in his face as well. An absolute 2 trying to play the 1.

Moss- 6-6 JR. Great shooter usually and a guy who can go off and score an insane amount in a short period. Had 19 points in 90 seconds in a game last year nailing 3's and he is an 80 plus % FT shooter. Worst handles of a guard this side of 9th grade when penetrating but can create shot. He is either on fire or total non-factor. You will know 10 minutes into the game which one shows up.

BENCH
Kriener at 6'9 and Baer at 6'7 most relevant and probably the keys to beating Cincinnati if we are going to do it. Kriener is tough and fairly skilled around the basket and physical. Baer will do everything well except hit free throws. Baer could be a leading scorer.

Iowa leads the nation in FT attempts and hits as a team at about 74%. My biggest hope for an Iowa win (remember I picked you to win and actually get to Elite 8) is we draw fouls and get your bigs in trouble so we can feed Cook, Garza, Baer and Kriener. That would open up our 3 and when we establish the paint and get the opponents big man in foul trouble, we get to the bonus and free throw the opponent to death late especially with a 90% FT shooter as our primary ball handler. We will be very much out athlete. That won't be a question. This is how a very (white) generally slow team won 22 overall and 10 conference wins in arguably the toughest conf. in the nation top to bottom.

I pick Cincy 72 Iowa 69. Iowa will hold Cumberland to about his average of 18 up to about 21 but will focus on him and do OK. Like Harper (7 point per game scorer at Rutgers) getting his career high of 21 and then 27 both against Iowa or the 2 ppg guy at Ohio State who had 8 3'w and 29 points against us, history says one of your 6-8 ppg guys will go off and be the difference to a narrow win.
Thanks for the breakdown. I hope you are right about the Cats making to to the elite 8. I got them losing in the sweet 16 to Nova.
Bearcats92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Good breakdown, I disagree with your best hope though. Brooks can get into foul trouble, but we have two solid backup centers. Nsoseme is stronger and a better rebounder (but a non-factor on offense) and Diarra is extremely atheletic but raw, but can still play D and block a lot of shots.

Scott our 6'8" pf almost never gets into foul trouble.

I'd say your best hope is for someone to go off from 3. We don't always defend the 3 well and we have a history of guys going off on us from 3 even when we do defend it well. Typically it's a backup who doesn't usually shoot very often, but goes crazy against us.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Good breakdown, I disagree with your best hope though. Brooks can get into foul trouble, but we have two solid backup centers. Nsoseme is stronger and a better rebounder (but a non-factor on offense) and Diarra is extremely atheletic but raw, but can still play D and block a lot of shots.
this is pretty generous, man. nsoseme hasn't been stronger or better on the boards than brooks in months.

i think some of our folks don't give enough credit to the work brooks does inside for positioning that allows others to rebound.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
this is pretty generous, man. nsoseme hasn't been stronger or better on the boards than brooks in months.

i think some of our folks don't give enough credit to the work brooks does inside for positioning that allows others to rebound.
I love Brooks, he has been a great big and has star potential next year. Looking at the Iowa forums a lot of them think they will dominate us inside, I think Brooks will more then have that covered.

But, Nsoseme is simply insane on the boards. He currently leads the team in Total Rebound Percentage (TRB) at 17.6% and Defensive Rebound Percentage at 25.0% - that means when he is in the game he grabs 1 of every 4 defensive rebounds (10.4% ORB).

In conference play he has dropped off a bit, but I think that is mostly due to his ankle injury that he seems to be full recovered from now. He still leads the team in conference DRB at 20.2 (4th on team with 12.4% TRB).

Brooks leads the other category Offensive Rebound Percentage at 13.9% and is at 19.2% DRB and 16.5% TRB. In conference Brooks leads in ORB (15.5%) and TRB (16.9%).

Scott is at ORB 9.0%, DRB 18.2%, TRB 13.6%

Iowa's two bigs Cook and Garza are at 14.6% and 11.0% TRB on the season. 8.4% and 9.0% ORB.

In short, Brooks and Nsoseme are both excellent at rebounding the ball (and Scott/Diarra are no slouches either). Both are responsible for more rebounds then they are credited for as the box out and make havoc and create opportunities for other players (or the other loses the ball out of bounds fighting them off). But on the season Nsoseme has been better on the defensive end and in total - though Brooks has dominated the offensive boards (his conference ORB would actually put him at #8 in the country if he had maintained it the entire season). In conference Brooks has been better, but I think that is largely due to injuries to Nsoseme that he seems to be fully recovered from the last couple games. Either way, having one or the other of the in the game means the opponent is going to have to fight for every board.

Edit: For fun, here are Gary Clark's senior season numbers. ORB 12.1, DRB 22.3, TRB 17.3. If Clark was a problem on the offensive glass at 12.1%, what is Brooks at 15.5%?

Last edited by skyblade; 03-19-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: More to add
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
skyblade
Epic Member

As for why Brooks is so good on offense, but not so much on D my guess is it's a product of our defensive scheme. Bigs are expected to guard any position and often pulled away from the glass. On offense though, Brooks tends to stay near the glass.

As Madman81 said, if Brooks can block out he can hold off just about anyone. He's also very good at getting inside position. But on D if he's pulled away from the basket he as good at crashing the glass. Nsoseme is the opposite - he makes a living crashing the glass. He is okay at getting position and boxing out, but it's not his strength. If he's guarding a man on the 3 point line on D, he is still going to be able to track the ball down and make the rebound.

Also a second side note: Diarra's numbers are very good as well. In conference he is ORB 10.8%, DRB 22.0% and TRB 16.2% and on the season ORB 9.7%, DRB 24.5% and TRB 17.0%

Last edited by skyblade; 03-19-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
But, Nsoseme is simply insane on the boards. He currently leads the team in Total Rebound Percentage (TRB) at 17.6% and Defensive Rebound Percentage at 25.0% - that means when he is in the game he grabs 1 of every 4 defensive rebounds (10.4% ORB).

In conference play he has dropped off a bit, but I think that is mostly due to his ankle injury that he seems to be full recovered from now. He still leads the team in conference DRB at 20.2 (4th on team with 12.4% TRB).
he's averaged less than 6 minutes a game since the beginning of february - kinda hard to have an impact no matter how good your per playing time metrics are.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote