Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles

Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #721
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Someone could say the same thing to you. "Why is it so hard for you to just admit that the staff backed off?"

Once again you are missing the point. No one KNOWS whether the staff missed or backed off. I am sure once recruits are signed we will have a better idea what happened. We may never know for sure though. To say the staff backed off may be premature (unless someone has inside info) and to say the staff missed is definitely premature at this time. One thing I do know, this kid is not Lance Stephenson. Is it possible the staff did it's due diligence on Lance and Torian and decided that Lance was worth the risk and Torian was not? Sounds like a reasonable possibility to me. The point is, before anyone makes definitive statements, wait until we have all the info, or at least as much info as we are going to get. For anyone to claim they KNOW the staff backed off or missed is just opening them up to look foolish in a few weeks or months.
comparing Lance to Graham by anyone on here is straight up silly. 1) Lance was immensely better than Graham at age 16 than Graham is at now at 21. The players are not even in the same ballpark in terms of talent. 2) Lance also gave UC credibility in NY recruiting that has been a massive building block in the building of a pipeline in the area that serves as the most fertile recruiting turf in the country. 3) UC took Lance when they were desperate to make a splash and had been missed the past 4 NCAA tournaments and were dead in the middle of their rebuild. The risk associated with him was much more reasonable to take on at that point in time. Now UC has made 4 straight NCAA tournaments and is a stable program.

The comparison is apples to oranges.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #722
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
It happens to every single coaching staff/university in America. Uc isnt the only school who misses on players
It really is important to remember how low % chance there really is of landing any recruit. Just based on scholarship #s alone, you have to miss all the time or your coaches arent scouting properly. We have been in the mix for some pretty big time players (2013-2015 classes especially), so I think our staff deserves more respect on this board. Some have an attitude of us being inferior and having to get lucky to steal recruits. It's hogwash. We have made a good name for ourselves in several key regions and high school circuits.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #723
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
It amazes me every time we don't get a recruit we thought we were going to get, the board divides into multiple groups. There's the "we backed off" group, the "Mick messed up" group, the "we don't need him anyway" group and so on.

Its recruiting. We don't know and probably won't ever know what happened. After a guy commits to another school, its time to wish him well and move on.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #724
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
It amazes me every time we don't get a recruit we thought we were going to get, the board divides into multiple groups. There's the "we backed off" group, the "Mick messed up" group, the "we don't need him anyway" group and so on.

Its recruiting. We don't know and probably won't ever know what happened. After a guy commits to another school, its time to wish him well and move on.
Put me in the "I don't have a clue nor do I really care" group.

I think it is important for everyone to respect the wishes of the recruits and staff when they are making decisions regarding scholarship offers. Recruiting is an inexact science and so is selecting a school for a 17 to 20 year old kid. If it was a perfect system, there would be very few transfers and very few scholarships offered by each school's recruiting staff. Frankly, I like recruiting info and I think it is fun to look at, but I sure as heck don't have time to worry about who chose to go to a different school. Good luck to Torian. If he can help make Houston respectable, that will only help the perception of the conference moving forward.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #725
KillaB513

KillaB513 is on a distinguished road
What does it matter the reason he's not a Cat? Bottom line he signed with Houston! I don't understand why so many of you are still wasting your time on a thread that should of ended 5 or more pages ago. Let's move on!
KillaB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #726
LaxCat31

LaxCat31 is on a distinguished road
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 11m11 minutes ago
RT @GoodmanESPN: Buffalo has landed Houston transfer Torian Graham.
LaxCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #727
bearcats5

bearcats5 is on a distinguished road
Another new school:

Doug Haller ‏@DougHaller: Source: Arizona State basketball has signed Torian Graham, a 6-4 guard who once signed with Houston. Former 4-star guard out of high school.
bearcats5 is offline   Reply With Quote