Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #101
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I respect brannen for this...

But let's be real here. This team needs Jarron. Would love to see some former players pull him aside and talk
This team needs Jarron if we have any hope to make a run maybe even just make the tourney. I am sure Brannen wants to find ways to get his best player the ball...it just may not be 100% the way Jarron wants to work with the ball.

After watching McNeal shoot again...it becomes all that more important for Jarron to get his touches. The rest of the team will be fine working their shots in when they can. Jarron and Jaevin need to get the volume and we have to get Jarron going to the rim.

Jarron should be relishing this opportunity with a green light from anywhere at the 3 line and also a green light to take it to the rack. Keith has been going to the rack and it's paying off...he's also making his 3 ball which is a double bonus. It's a faster pace and Jarron is a great decision maker...this is built for him. It's a pro style...wake up and get going
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #102
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
From what I have heard JB wanted Jarron to go back into the Drake game after sitting for that long stretch and Jarron said no and put a towel around his head and this was punishment for that.(speculation obviously) I like the rest of the 99% of this board is probably over reacting but it sucks when he is your best player and he is acting the way he is...… Jarron needs to realize that he needs JB and he looks like an absolutely selfish and terrible teammate if all of the speculation is true (if not I Apologize)..... with that said JB needs Jarron too. They have to find a common ground... hopefully cooler heads prevail and we will see JC in the paradise jam.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #103
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
From what I have heard JB wanted Jarron to go back into the Drake game after sitting for that long stretch and Jarron said no and put a towel around his head and this was punishment for that.(speculation obviously) I like the rest of the 99% of this board is probably over reacting but it sucks when he is your best player and he is acting the way he is...… Jarron needs to realize that he needs JB and he looks like an absolutely selfish and terrible teammate if all of the speculation is true (if not I Apologize)..... with that said JB needs Jarron too. They have to find a common ground... hopefully cooler heads prevail and we will see JC in the paradise jam.
Correct.... All indications are this has been building up all summer. Its time for Jarron to buy in or not. But the message has been sent. And I dont think Brannen is the type to cave.

Last edited by TheLivingLegend; 11-15-2019 at 07:30 AM.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I dont think its overreacting when the best player on the team gets suspended for a game. Especially with some of the lead up to it (Nelson's comments before the season, Jarron's lack of touches in OSU game, Jarrons seemingly bad attitude on the bench vs Drake).

Jarron has to accept he might get less looks this year but they're going to be much better looks. Brannen is fine with his best player shooting a ton, McDonald had a 28.7 usage rate last year, Cumberlands was 31.3. But its gotta come from within the system.

It would be one thing if it was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, but thats just not the case. Jarron's game can flourish in Brannens system. He's the perfect player for it, can shoot, pass, and dribble.

Huge difference in a coach trying to make guys play in a system they cannot play in vs a player refusing to play in a system that is a great fit for him.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #105
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Did Vogt really only commit 2 fouls in 25 minutes? I didn't see any of the game. I noticed vs Drake it looked like he was just trying to keep his hands straight up and make them shoot over him as opposed to trying to violently swat every shot that goes up.

Hopefully that saves him some fouls each game.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #106
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I dont think its overreacting when the best player on the team gets suspended for a game. Especially with some of the lead up to it (Nelson's comments before the season, Jarron's lack of touches in OSU game, Jarrons seemingly bad attitude on the bench vs Drake).

Jarron has to accept he might get less looks this year but they're going to be much better looks. Brannen is fine with his best player shooting a ton, McDonald had a 28.7 usage rate last year, Cumberlands was 31.3. But its gotta come from within the system.

It would be one thing if it was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, but thats just not the case. Jarron's game can flourish in Brannens system. He's the perfect player for it, can shoot, pass, and dribble.

Huge difference in a coach trying to make guys play in a system they cannot play in vs a player refusing to play in a system that is a great fit for him.
My hunch is that Jarron wants to work in ISO and is of the idea to give him the ball and some time and he will make good things happen. Brannen says we don't have time in my system the ball needs to keep moving. Shoot, pass or drive...take your pick...you have the green light to do all 3. But CJB will not ISO Jarron all game and suspend his entire offensive philosophy for one player. I think Jarron will start to understand why it has to be this way...at least I hope so.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #107
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
When it comes to McDonald's usage at NKU compared to how they would use Jarron is quite complicated.... Drew was a center and as we can see with the offense JB loves the post up. Drew had an extremely high usage rate at NKU because of his ability to post up, drive to the hoop and shoot the 3. Drew was very good at getting himself open and into positions to get the ball which works great in JB's offense. He was also a center so he was getting rebounds and 2nd chance points.

Jarron is an Iso player who can shoot and drive.... Jarron makes plays when he has the ball, he is not really great at getting himself open. Jarron is also not much on the offense glass because he is more of a wing. In Cronins offense Jarron could take plays off at times to catch his breath, in JBs offense everyone is constantly moving, screening, rolling.... constant motion to find the open guy not running a play for one guy.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #108
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
My hunch is that Jarron wants to work in ISO and is of the idea to give him the ball and some time and he will make good things happen. Brannen says we don't have time in my system the ball needs to keep moving. Shoot, pass or drive...take your pick...you have the green light to do all 3. But CJB will not ISO Jarron all game and suspend his entire offensive philosophy for one player. I think Jarron will start to understand why it has to be this way...at least I hope so.
ISO wont work for Jarron at the next level... But I'm perfectly fine with the possession ran and it ending in a jarron iso
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #109
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Did Vogt really only commit 2 fouls in 25 minutes? I didn't see any of the game. I noticed vs Drake it looked like he was just trying to keep his hands straight up and make them shoot over him as opposed to trying to violently swat every shot that goes up.

Hopefully that saves him some fouls each game.
He was on a pace of 9.7 fouls per 40 minutes after the Drake game (I think per sports reference). I am guessing coach said something has to give here. You are 7 foot tall...just stand up and make them shoot over you most of the time. The arms can't come down towards the player...it's a foul most of the time. I hope he gets it because it will make him a better defender and allow him to play more.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #110
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
When it comes to McDonald's usage at NKU compared to how they would use Jarron is quite complicated.... Drew was a center and as we can see with the offense JB loves the post up. Drew had an extremely high usage rate at NKU because of his ability to post up, drive to the hoop and shoot the 3. Drew was very good at getting himself open and into positions to get the ball which works great in JB's offense. He was also a center so he was getting rebounds and 2nd chance points.

Jarron is an Iso player who can shoot and drive.... Jarron makes plays when he has the ball, he is not really great at getting himself open. Jarron is also not much on the offense glass because he is more of a wing. In Cronins offense Jarron could take plays off at times to catch his breath, in JBs offense everyone is constantly moving, screening, rolling.... constant motion to find the open guy not running a play for one guy.
It's tough to find true ISO situations in this offense. You have to call the play to set picks or clear out one side or both. Jarron just has to take it upon himself to get the ball and go...shoot, drive or pass. Jarron likes the top of key or shoulder ISO...but in CJB's system he is coming off the wing. Jarron should not be limited in this system theoretically. But I wonder if he is being followed and/or face guarded how do we get him in space? He works great off of picks...sometimes more than 1 pick in the same play. That's not a design I see right now in this system