Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cronin's Corner

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
article on Sandy Koufax

Interesting read here:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...bered/8512237/

I knew Koufax went to UC on a basketball scholarship but other than that hadn't really heard too much about his time here. According to the article it sounds like he only joined the baseball team so he could take a trip to New Orleans with the team.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
ironically, Ed Jucker was the UC freshman coach and a scout for the Reds. Not sure how the Reds missed out on Koufax, but what a mistake. I also heard Frank Robinson went to Xavier and played ball there briefly. Anyone know anything about that??
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
ccmbearcat

ccmbearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat8290 View Post
ironically, Ed Jucker was the UC freshman coach and a scout for the Reds. Not sure how the Reds missed out on Koufax, but what a mistake. I also heard Frank Robinson went to Xavier and played ball there briefly. Anyone know anything about that??
Frank took a few off-season classes there after he came up with the Reds, but he never played for them. BTW, the Robinson for Pappas/Simpson/Baldshun trade still stands as the worst trade in baseball history.
ccmbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmbearcat View Post
Frank took a few off-season classes there after he came up with the Reds, but he never played for them. BTW, the Robinson for Pappas/Simpson/Baldshun trade still stands as the worst trade in baseball history.
as a fan it broke my heart. He won the triple crown after they called him old. A great competitor.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote