Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
I know I am in the minority but I don't think Jacob Evans will be in the NBA, he has all the tangibles( size-athletic-can shoot the ball). In the NBA you have to be able beat your man and I don't think he is good at that. UC has had lot's of players that looked the part but did not go to the NBA. I also thought SK would not make it, so what do I know.
The NBA drafts on potential. A guy that is 6'6" with a 40"+ vertical and shoots over 40% from 3 has a place on an NBA roster. I would actually be surprised if Jake is back at UC next year. I fully expect him to go towards the end of round 1 and possibly mid-first round if he continues his uber efficient play the rest of the year.

Unless you are a LeBron or Kobe, the situation a player is in absolutely matters. Look how many guys get drafted in round 1 that go to a poor situation for them and then struggle. A perfect place for Jake would be San Antonio. The Danny Green comparison is really good.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know I am in the minority but I don't think Jacob Evans will be in the NBA, he has all the tangibles( size-athletic-can shoot the ball). In the NBA you have to be able beat your man and I don't think he is good at that. UC has had lot's of players that looked the part but did not go to the NBA. I also thought SK would not make it, so what do I know.
3 & D players don’t have to beat their man. He passes well, is lethal in transistion and can guard multiple positions. In a league where 3 point shooting is top priority, Evans is a great fit.

I’m not saying he will ever start. I personally don’t see that. But I see him as an elite role player.

Evans could carve out a role like Danny Green
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
as much as it pains me to say it, i think this is right. nba you MUST be able to get your own shot. SK could do that and thats why he eventually got some PT (but it took a while to get there)

i really dont like typing this and it will burst a bubble, but watch when we try to iso him. watch his move. when we used to iso SK the defense always had to help. jake doesn't ever require help. i hate saying that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Also while he is shorter then Robert Covington, Evans could carve out a nice role like he has and he just earned a nice paycheck as well.

He went undrafted and strictly makes his money on defense and 3 point shots
Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
3 & D players don’t have to beat their man. He passes well, is lethal in transistion and can guard multiple positions. In a league where 3 point shooting is top priority, Evans is a great fit.

I’m not saying he will ever start. I personally don’t see that. But I see him as an elite role player.

Evans could carve out a role like Danny Green
The 3 and D thing is important. Nate Duncan always talks about there not being enough of those guys. Evans will get in a stance and guard anywhere. Scouts have to love that.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
as much as it pains me to say it, i think this is right. nba you MUST be able to get your own shot. SK could do that and thats why he eventually got some PT (but it took a while to get there)

i really dont like typing this and it will burst a bubble, but watch when we try to iso him. watch his move. when we used to iso SK the defense always had to help. jake doesn't ever require help. i hate saying that.
Evans is still young. He has all the tools to continue to grow.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I think some people would be shocked by some of the names of NBA starters. I'm not saying day 1 for Evans, but he can get there.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Add in that if Evans is drafted in the 1st round it will be in the back end of it. So he will be going to a team that is good and usually will already have star players, so his role will be strictly 3 & D to start out. Just come in when the starters come out and defend his ass off and shoot open 3's off the kick out.

If he were drafted by the TWolves it would be a great fit. They need that shooter off the bench. The Spurs passing ability would also find Evans for a lot of open jumpers and we all know what JEIII does with open looks.

Also, he is uber Athletic and has a strong frame. I think we all should realize that the NBA doesn't always draft you on what you CAN do but rather what they believe you have the ability TO DO.

Evans on paper looks like a guy who should be able to finish in traffic and get to the rim. Just because he hasn't shown it yet, doesn't mean the NBA doesnt think they can get it out of him.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
I think his draft position will be determined a lot by our success this year... not trying to state the obvious but if Jacob is projected in the first round after his Junior year, then that means UC made a very deep run in the tourney.

If that's the case, good for him and good for UC!
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #20
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

You don’t have to be able to get your own shot to have a career in the nba. There are a ton of role players, defense, 3 point guys in the nba. Some of those guys have 10+ year careers. I think most of us expect him to be one of these type guys
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote