Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 09-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
Realignment-Notre Dame

As a Bearcat fan, I can't help buy wonder how Notre Dame and it's play this year could affect UC and league realignment. Now keep in mind, I'm not familar with Notre Dame's formal agreement with the ACC, but I do have some insight. In the spirt of the Pope's visit this week, I'm calling out to all Catholics and others to pray for Notre Dame to go undefeated. Here's how I see it:

As a participant and not official league member of the ACC, Notre Dame can trump those currently in the league for bowl bids. So for instance, if Louisville tied Notre Dame in overall record and each were up for a particular bowl, Notre Dame would get the knod.

If Notre Dame goes 12-0 or undefeated, and Clemson or Florida State win the ACC and go undefeated with Notre Dame, Notre Dame would get into the final four. Highly unlikely two ACC would make it. That would have to leave out the SEC or Big Ten or Big 12 again and the PAC 12. That won't happen. The ACC will not get two teams in the final four. Notre Dame will win any ties and get into the top spot.

Therefore, if this happens, which it could as Brian Kelly has one of his best teams ever at Notre Dame, how will Clemson or Florida State react to Notre Dame representing the ACC and advancing in their place in the NCAA football final four even after Clemson or Florida State win the ACC and it's football tourney? Secondly, what will happen if the Big 12 is left out again? It looks as if the Big 12 will not put a team in the final four for a second straight year. What does the Big 12 do at that point? (TCU looked weak against Texas Tech yesterday giving up over 50 points), If Clemson or Florida State or both leave the ACC as a result of Notre Dame getting the final four knod and head to the SEC (much greener football pastures), how does that affect UC. It's does in a very positive way. Secondly, if the Big 12 does not advance a team this year to the final four, how will that affect UC? Positively I would say. Patience by UC officials may be in order here, but I see things looking up.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
The playoff is going to be 8 teams soon.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Link?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Link?
Lol. Not one specific article. Just general speculation from anyone who follows college football.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The one change fans won't see anytime soon is expansion. The majority of commissioners interviewed said four teams is enough.

I don't think there will be any serious consideration of a larger number anytime soon."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...changes-year-2

...If the playoffs were expanded to 8 that would add 3 games to a 12 game schedule.

"First and foremost, I think we don't want to go further, in terms of the number of games the student-athletes are playing. We want to preserve the importance of bowls that are not in the playoff.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 09-27-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
The one change fans won't see anytime soon is expansion. The majority of commissioners interviewed said four teams is enough.

I don't think there will be any serious consideration of a larger number anytime soon."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...changes-year-2

...If the playoffs were expanded to 8 that would add 3 games to a 12 game schedule.

"First and foremost, I think we don't want to go further, in terms of the number of games the student-athletes are playing. We want to preserve the importance of bowls that are not in the playoff.
It will be 8 soon, more teams means more money. I would say next season might be the last we'll see a 4 team playoff.

As far as ACC teams jumping ship (FSU or Clemson) don't forget they also have a GOR. Unless the league was to allow these teams to leave I don't see a way they can get around the GOR.

The fact that the Big 10 said last week that we are considered Power 5 competition is a big deal. I would assume that all other conferences would concur which keeps us playing good competition. We'll be able to continue to schedule well going forward which is really all UC fans can ask for at this point.

You have to believe that at some point there will be something that becomes the catalyst to another round of expansion and hopefully UC will be in somewhere. I still think the most likely move is the Big 12 deciding to expand, hopefully if they do they see UC as a viable target. Personally I'd prefer the ACC but I feel like they are currently the least likely conference to expand at any point in the near future.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
bearcat8290

bearcat8290 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I must admit, my comments are pure speculation. It was intended to spur comments. None of which seem to have been made at this point. I'm surprised that no talking head has mentioned Notre Dame and it's impact.

Here is a piece that has not mentioned Cincinnati, but Texas and it's possible changes could affect UC.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/7/...pansion-big-12

Here's another piece for those who like links related to comments. It has Cincinnati in a good category. Write your federal legislators in support of UC !!!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...c-associations

Last edited by bearcat8290; 09-29-2015 at 04:33 PM.
bearcat8290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
uc best case is the big 12 not getting someone in the playoffs again this year. if that happens big 12 expansion is as good as a go even more so if they dont get it cause someone passes them in a conference championship again and notre dame could steal one of the spots
Old 10-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Lol. Not one specific article. Just general speculation from anyone who follows college football.
im honestly not so sure it will in order for that to happen the power 5 will have to give away their grip with a 4 team playoff it gives the power 5 absolute power basically
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
im honestly not so sure it will in order for that to happen the power 5 will have to give away their grip with a 4 team playoff it gives the power 5 absolute power basically
8 teams would guarantee that every P5 champ gets in.