Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Impressed with the words and actions of Gates

Reading the column from Bill Koch regarding Gates saying that he will return for his senior year, i was very impressed with Gates' actions and words. I was not concerned with Gates leaving this year, not only due to his play or room for more development, but also because of the people surrounding him. His father seems to really get it too. He has defended Cronin in the past during struggles, which is opposite from the majority of athletes' families. I really liked to hear Gates talk about being the first in his family to complete his degree in four years, and how big of an accomplish it will be. He also stated the following:

“A lot of people rush, but you look at a player like Tim Duncan. He’s known as the greatest power forward ever and he played four years in college. It’s not the person who gets out the earliest. It’s what they do once they get the chance.”

Gates from the beginning of the year, has shown maturation as a man. He cracked under different pressures throughout the year, but he is coming back strong. He is a very well spoken kid, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Regardless of whether or not Gates makes it to or has a career in the NBA, the highly touted recruit/kid looks like he is going to leave this university a with a degree and leave the school as a grown up. A great story on the progress of the program and a positive representation for the school.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2011/...r-senior-year/
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
this is encouraging, but after the lance experience last year- i think we should play wait and see as to players who say they're staying to the media. no one here is going to say they think he should go, i'm just saying i'll believe once the deadline passes.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
this is encouraging, but after the lance experience last year- i think we should play wait and see as to players who say they're staying to the media. no one here is going to say they think he should go, i'm just saying i'll believe once the deadline passes.
i definitely understand your thoughts, however, i do not recall stephenson mentioning the importance of earning his degree (i could be wrong)...
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
My advise to Yancy, as if he'd take it to heart, is learn some go to low post moves. Work on a half hook or drop step and go up strong without hesitation. Continue to shoot extra free throws. Come ready to play every game and make a mark by rebounding the basketball. You are huge and athletic. nobody can stop you. You will score or get fouled most of the time if you go up strong and don't fade away from the basket.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Thats great to hear him talk about his degree. I am confident he will stay for multiple reasons. He states he will be the first one in his family to get a college degree. That reason in itself is good enough validation. Also, he is simply not good enough to be in the NBA yet. Yes, he has all the tools but he still needs to work and improve his natural talents. Somehow he has to learn how to create his own shot, on top of that, making it a good look/shot at the basket. He seems like such a nice guy and he deserves the best. He just needs to keep putting in that hard work and it will all pay off for him.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparker1 View Post
i definitely understand your thoughts, however, i do not recall stephenson mentioning the importance of earning his degree (i could be wrong)...
you are right about that...but what if uc wins a couple games and yancy is a monster in the games? his stock will have completely changed.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote