Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Austin Peay Game

Since no one else has posted anything on the game yet, i guess i will get this party started...
it was great to be back in Nippert, surrounded by red and black...the intro video was a bit long, but i really like the concept "represent the C"...
Abernathy got the tempo going quick with a big kickoff return...Pead finished the job...he looks to be ready to have another solid year and turn some heads...the offense was moving the ball pretty well (considering it was Austin Peay)...
i was most intrigued in the defensive side of the ball, and anxious to see their growth and maturation...the defense on kickoffs needs a little work...it seemed as UC's D was quick and on the ball...a shutout in the first half was great to see...
again, it was Austin Peay, but this team looks quick, very well conditioned, and seems to be very deep in talent...it is great to have football back in the 'Nati...

Go Bearcats!
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I'll have my thoughts later tonight or tomorrow after I watch the game again. It is hard to see everything when at the game live so I like to hold off on thoughts until I see it a second time. I will say that I was glad to see UC take care of business. Last year against Indiana State was a bit nerve racking. None of that this year.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
I was impressed with the team as a whole. In a game like this you want to overwhelm them with our starters which we did. I wanted to see some freshman contribute and they did. Special teams looked good. Exactly what should have happened did. I am happy.

Munchie looked good too btw.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
I will be at the Tennesee game, go Bearcats!
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
I was pleased by the type of game UC played: Clean, injury free and crisp against an over matched opponent.

Areas of concern going into UT:

-Tackling (this is a concern for 95% of teams early in the season, granted)

-Kicking game/kickoff coverage

-Adversity (How will UC respond if UT comes out and punches them in the face and goes up 10-0 in the 1st quarter?)
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
So far I have re-watched the first half of the game. Here are my thoughts about the number 1s and some of the others that got in.

This team has more weapons than any UC team I can remember on offense. The one thing I noticed early and often is that there is a lot of skill at the skill positions. Get past Pead, Woods, and Collaros for a minute and look at the rest. Thompkins looks like the real deal. I know this is Austin Peay but he looks more than capable to take some of the attention away from DJ this year. McClung looks solid and has already matched his TD total from last year (2). Shaq Washington looks quick and ready to play as a freshman. Same with Chisum. I think I was most impressed with the poise and talent of the freshmen that saw the field early for the Bearcats. Ralph David Abernathy IV looks like a game changer on special teams. Jameel Poteat is big, fast and strong. The future is definitely bright for this program.

The defense did what they needed to. They caused turnovers, they got to the QB and they kept AP out of the endzone for most of the game. The tackling needs to be better and the kickoff coverage does too but overall, I was pleased with what I saw from the starters on defense.

The thing that I was most excited about was the tempo the offense played at. Coach Jones wanted the team to play at a fast tempo all last year but they couldn't do it. They weren't comfortable in the new system enough to make it happen. This year you can see that this team is ready to get this thing going. When you can have a 14 play, 95 yard drive that only takes up 5:01, everything is clicking.

I heard some concern before and after the game about how this team will manage to play in front of 100k+ at Neyland next week. I may be the only person not concerned at all. Many of these players have played in big games on the road and will be able to use that experience on Saturday. Oklahoma three years ago and Pitt two years ago come to mind. I fully expect UC to win Saturday and anything less than that will be a disappointment. This team showed flashes that they can play with anybody last year. They should have won that Oklahoma game. OU is much better than Tennessee and frankly, UT isn't the powerhouse it used to be. A good start will be important but based on Tennessee's turnover issues already this year and the +5 from the Bearcats, things are looking up.

I'll post more about the backups after I watch the second half again tonight or tomorrow.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
So far I have re-watched the first half of the game. Here are my thoughts about the number 1s and some of the others that got in.

This team has more weapons than any UC team I can remember on offense. The one thing I noticed early and often is that there is a lot of skill at the skill positions. Get past Pead, Woods, and Collaros for a minute and look at the rest. Thompkins looks like the real deal. I know this is Austin Peay but he looks more than capable to take some of the attention away from DJ this year. McClung looks solid and has already matched his TD total from last year (2). Shaq Washington looks quick and ready to play as a freshman. Same with Chisum. I think I was most impressed with the poise and talent of the freshmen that saw the field early for the Bearcats. Ralph David Abernathy IV looks like a game changer on special teams. Jameel Poteat is big, fast and strong. The future is definitely bright for this program.

The defense did what they needed to. They caused turnovers, they got to the QB and they kept AP out of the endzone for most of the game. The tackling needs to be better and the kickoff coverage does too but overall, I was pleased with what I saw from the starters on defense.

The thing that I was most excited about was the tempo the offense played at. Coach Jones wanted the team to play at a fast tempo all last year but they couldn't do it. They weren't comfortable in the new system enough to make it happen. This year you can see that this team is ready to get this thing going. When you can have a 14 play, 95 yard drive that only takes up 5:01, everything is clicking.

I heard some concern before and after the game about how this team will manage to play in front of 100k+ at Neyland next week. I may be the only person not concerned at all. Many of these players have played in big games on the road and will be able to use that experience on Saturday. Oklahoma three years ago and Pitt two years ago come to mind. I fully expect UC to win Saturday and anything less than that will be a disappointment. This team showed flashes that they can play with anybody last year. They should have won that Oklahoma game. OU is much better than Tennessee and frankly, UT isn't the powerhouse it used to be. A good start will be important but based on Tennessee's turnover issues already this year and the +5 from the Bearcats, things are looking up.

I'll post more about the backups after I watch the second half again tonight or tomorrow.
Coach Jones said in the post game presser the tempo on offense was okay but it will get better. He said they substituted more than they wanted to during drives because of the heat. The WR core has a ton of talent but there are going to be growing pains. It's going to be all about consistency for this team. Do they have the ability to play with almost any team in America? Yes. Will they respond during times of adversity is what I want to see most.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
bcb1224

bcb1224 is on a distinguished road
the offense looked great which was expected. and the deffense looked much improved. I see alot of similarites between this team and two years ago. I think we will be able to score on anybody with our deffense outplaying big east teams, but what im worried about is the speed and depth of tennessee. I think we win but im going to be interested to watch our d this week. they may be middle of the road in the sec but i think this is the best team we play all year. CAN'T WAIT. go cats.
bcb1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
psax889906
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1224 View Post
the offense looked great which was expected. and the deffense looked much improved. I see alot of similarites between this team and two years ago. I think we will be able to score on anybody with our deffense outplaying big east teams, but what im worried about is the speed and depth of tennessee. I think we win but im going to be interested to watch our d this week. they may be middle of the road in the sec but i think this is the best team we play all year. CAN'T WAIT. go cats.
I think WVU certainly has the potential to be a better team than Tennessee... Everyone knows Holgerson's a guru on offense and he's got plenty of weapons- he's also in a great situation this year because he has a very talented defense already set up there. It frankly reminds me some what of Kelly coming into UC.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
bcb1224

bcb1224 is on a distinguished road
yeah truth is west virginia is the only team that truly scares me in the big east. i do think if wv played in the sec they wouldnt be better than middle of the road which is exactly what tennessee is. not to say we might not slip up against a less talented team but imo i think we have a top 10 offense
bcb1224 is offline   Reply With Quote