Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
UC has to protect Zach.
UC has to contain the pass.

I think they struggle with both and Tennessee wins by 10-14 points. It will be a good gauge of where UC is. Right now I'd say they are good enough to be right behind WV and USF in the 3rd spot but Saturday will tell us if that is accurate.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
UC has to protect Zach.
UC has to contain the pass.

I think they struggle with both and Tennessee wins by 10-14 points. It will be a good gauge of where UC is. Right now I'd say they are good enough to be right behind WV and USF in the 3rd spot but Saturday will tell us if that is accurate.
They couldn't contain the pass and whipped by an pretty good sec team. I think this proves they are well below USF and WVU. Probably more like 4 or 5 in the league. They do not have a Division I caliber defense. Even in the MAC this would be a below average unit.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
rustyroyse

rustyroyse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
They couldn't contain the pass and whipped by an pretty good sec team. I think this proves they are well below USF and WVU. Probably more like 4 or 5 in the league. They do not have a Division I caliber defense. Even in the MAC this would be a below average unit.
I agree that the defense is going to be overmatched in a few games this year and I thought Tennessee would be one of them. I think the problem does lie with the coaching and the lack of intensity from the entire staff. I am not sure if anyone else really noticed this or not but I am very unhappy with the coaching staff as a whole on Saturday, particularly Butch Jones. There were so many times he had the camera on him and he just had his arms crossed and head down pacing the sideline like he had just given up. I saw this way too many times last year on the sideline and quite frankly it disgusts me. If you are not going to keep your head up and coach these kids how could you possibly expect them to play to their fullest potential. I am not saying these kids are not giving their all but as a coach BJ cannot expect more than the effort he puts in. I think that might have upset me more than the score just because it looked like he completely gave up on the team. Sorry to go off on a rant but I think if we are going to work to become a upper tier program we cannot accept this kind of behavior from the coach and we should be demanding more.
rustyroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroyse View Post
I agree that the defense is going to be overmatched in a few games this year and I thought Tennessee would be one of them. I think the problem does lie with the coaching and the lack of intensity from the entire staff. I am not sure if anyone else really noticed this or not but I am very unhappy with the coaching staff as a whole on Saturday, particularly Butch Jones. There were so many times he had the camera on him and he just had his arms crossed and head down pacing the sideline like he had just given up. I saw this way too many times last year on the sideline and quite frankly it disgusts me. If you are not going to keep your head up and coach these kids how could you possibly expect them to play to their fullest potential. I am not saying these kids are not giving their all but as a coach BJ cannot expect more than the effort he puts in. I think that might have upset me more than the score just because it looked like he completely gave up on the team. Sorry to go off on a rant but I think if we are going to work to become a upper tier program we cannot accept this kind of behavior from the coach and we should be demanding more.

All I'll say to his reaction when cameras are on him is that ESPN likes to paint a picture and they have a camera on him probably pretty much the whole game and can pick and choose when they show him. I don't take too much stock on what I see on ESPN. I have faith in Butch, I don't think a coach makes his players work as hard as he does in practice to go easy on them and give up during a game. I'll try to pay attention to him at the next home game and I urge you to do the same and see how he reacts after plays. I honestly don't know cause I've never really paid attention. I do know Kerry Coombs is a nut job (in a good way) on the sidelines during a game.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
rustyroyse

rustyroyse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
All I'll say to his reaction when cameras are on him is that ESPN likes to paint a picture and they have a camera on him probably pretty much the whole game and can pick and choose when they show him. I don't take too much stock on what I see on ESPN. I have faith in Butch, I don't think a coach makes his players work as hard as he does in practice to go easy on them and give up during a game. I'll try to pay attention to him at the next home game and I urge you to do the same and see how he reacts after plays. I honestly don't know cause I've never really paid attention. I do know Kerry Coombs is a nut job (in a good way) on the sidelines during a game.
I agree that Coombs is a wildman on the sideline. I don't necessarily expect that kind of intensity all of the time (he wears me out while watching the games). I am not just basing this off of the ESPN broadcast. He was doing it all of last year as well. I know that ESPN can make it look like he doesn't care but unfortunately I don't think it was just good camerawork and he did a good enough job of making it look like he didn't care on his own. I have faith in Butch as far as recruiting goes but my patience wears thin on issues like this. I have been to just about every home game (minus maybe 1 or 2) over the last 10 years and I have seen the good and bad. I am not trying to look for reasons not to like our coach, I would actually like to find more reasons to rally behind him but he is making it more and more difficult. I will keep my eyes open on Saturday but the true measure of the coach will show when he is facing adversity and I don't think we will see that on Saturday.
rustyroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Let's see how this team reacts on Saturday and then Thursday. Don't forget that UC got waxed at OU in 2009 and still put together a Big East Championship season. I am not predicting that but I am saying that, if the team builds off of what happened, and corrects some things, they have a chance to have a very good year.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote