Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #851
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I think in perfect world for Wes, 10 guys avg 5-11pts would be perfect. It’s totally AAUish but I love it. If everybody plays hard everybody plays. In this system it might sound dumb but you need elite finishers at rim.
Hopefully it would only be a temporary approach (this year and maybe the next).

You run out a system like that year after year you're going to struggle recruiting any of the top guys.

Those guys want to go somewhere where they can showcase their skills and play. Can't imagine 10 deep rotations being very attractive to guys in the top 100.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #852
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
Hopefully it would only be a temporary approach (this year and maybe the next).

You run out a system like that year after year you're going to struggle recruiting any of the top guys.

Those guys want to go somewhere where they can showcase their skills and play. Can't imagine 10 deep rotations being very attractive to guys in the top 100.
It’s going be new trend. I love this approach. Sends messages if you come here you’re basically going to play if you do your part. You don’t need score 30 a night get noticed
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #853
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I see the state of the roster right now as a high floor-low ceiling group, meaning I see us being somewhere between a top 60-100 team. We have a wealth of experience between our returners and newcomers and far less question marks about players' individual abilities than we did going into the last two seasons.

It would be nice to have a major alpha-like scorer already established within this group - but we have a few strong candidates for double-digit scorers in DDJ, MAW, Newman and Davenport and a host of guys like Mason, McGinnis, Koval and Ody who could thrive in secondary scoring roles.

What I like best about the new players we've brought in so far is that they combine the defensive/rebounding prowess of Cronin's teams (Newman, Ody, Ado) with the more offensive-minded players on Brannen's teams (Koval, McGinnis, Hensley).

We hopefully will never have to put out a line-up next season that has a glaring weakness for our opponents to take exploit.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #854
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
An alpha can be detrimental if they aren't efficient. UC and UNCG were both hurt last year by their 30+ usage guys having ORtgs below 100 and true shooting % below 50. That led to offenses ranked 157 or worse despite top 100 defenses. Sharing the load could work out better. And we've got some shooters to spread the floor in crunch time.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #855
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
An alpha can be detrimental if they aren't efficient. UC and UNCG were both hurt last year by their 30+ usage guys having ORtgs below 100 and true shooting % below 50. That led to offenses ranked 157 or worse despite top 100 defenses. Sharing the load could work out better. And we've got some shooters to spread the floor in crunch time.
Yes, I’ll happily spread the points around to make everyone happy but low usage guys
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #856
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post

Surprisingly we did not have an Alpha last year. Keith was no alpha, and was never groomed to be one. Nor was anyone else. So with that being said, the current returning UC players need build their offensive confidence, get good shots up, and improve their dribbling to create that balance. Deferring to Seniors that aren't Alphas handicaps their own games. Shots were available last season, Davenport sniffed that out, but not others. Hopefully with new competition within, I hope the returnees grow.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #857
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...62748175138822

Per Jeff Goodman

Quote:
From NCAA regarding players who transfer multiple times:

“In order to compete immediately after a second transfer, a student must meet either the current education-impacting disability guideline or an updated guideline that addresses a “real & imminent health and safety” threat.
Seems like Koval getting a waiver isn't a sure thing.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #858
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Seems like Koval getting a waiver isn't a sure thing.
Yeah, even before reading that I wasn't convinced he would get one. The new rules make it seem like waivers are going to be rare. That also makes it more likely DDJ stays. If Koval has to sit, I think Lakhin would basically take his role on my depth chart, playing like a stretch 4 on offense and a 5 on defense alongside Ody.

PG: DeJulius 20 / Saunders 20
SG: MAW 20 / McGinnis 10 / Mason 10
SF: Newman 25 / Davenport 10 / Mason 5
PF: Davenport 15 / Ody 15 / Hensley 10
C: Ado 25 / Lakhin 10 / Ody 5

Last edited by sedziobs; 05-19-2021 at 08:49 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #859
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
I would hope Koval is a sure thing or it makes even less sense to me than it did before.

Why would you offer a scholarship to that guy only a week or two after getting the job if you don't even know if he's going to be eligible this year? We could have used a full year to find a better player to give that spot in '22.

I was under the impression he was desperate for bodies and that's how we ended with half of UNCG's team. But he must have REALLY wanted Hayden Koval to be a part of this program if it ends being a question of if he can even play this year.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #860
Bearcat_Z

Bearcat_Z is on a distinguished road
If Koval has to sit a year or is not eligible at all, he won’t suit-up for UC.
Bearcat_Z is offline   Reply With Quote