Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Cincinnati considering moving games downtown

Zach Wells ‏@WellsZach 3m
#Bearcats Coach Mick Cronin said playing in 5/3 Arena, as is, probably isn't viable long-term. Exploring option of moving games downtown.

Zach Wells ‏@WellsZach 2m
Nothing is definitive. Ideas are on table. Cronin said he and AD Whit Babcock are on the same page, tackling challenges head-on. #Bearcats

This, to me, would be awesome and exactly the type of forward thinking UC needs to advance in conference realignment. US Bank Arena would put up around $100 million dollars to renovate the arena and allow Cincinnati to become a much more desired host for NCAA tournament games, concerts, conference tournaments, etc. With the improvements done downtown on the Banks, moving UC games down there would create a buzz. I thought the Cross Town Classic went great, and was terrific for business downtown. If UC could get into a league like the ACC, think of a game against Duke or North Carolina (even Louisville, Syracuse, etc) at US Bank Arena. The area definitely would be buzzing.

Thoughts on this? I know the first thing people will bring up is how it will hurt student attendance.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Zach Wells ‏@WellsZach 3m
#Bearcats Coach Mick Cronin said playing in 5/3 Arena, as is, probably isn't viable long-term. Exploring option of moving games downtown.

Zach Wells ‏@WellsZach 2m
Nothing is definitive. Ideas are on table. Cronin said he and AD Whit Babcock are on the same page, tackling challenges head-on. #Bearcats

This, to me, would be awesome and exactly the type of forward thinking UC needs to advance in conference realignment. US Bank Arena would put up around $100 million dollars to renovate the arena and allow Cincinnati to become a much more desired host for NCAA tournament games, concerts, conference tournaments, etc. With the improvements done downtown on the Banks, moving UC games down there would create a buzz. I thought the Cross Town Classic went great, and was terrific for business downtown. If UC could get into a league like the ACC, think of a game against Duke or North Carolina (even Louisville, Syracuse, etc) at US Bank Arena. The area definitely would be buzzing.

Thoughts on this? I know the first thing people will bring up is how it will hurt student attendance.
Anything that gets us out of the Shoe I'm all for it. My dream would be to spend the money updating the shoe.Thus keeping games on campus. If that isn't going to happen I would much rather go to 5th third arena. Had two kids at TOSU. If you've never taken in a game at the Schott. your missing out. Great facility. We should have a similar place here. If basketball is big time at UC its time we upgrade the facilities.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Had two kids at TOSU.
I stopped reading right there.

Personally, I think moving games off campus for basketball especially is a terrible idea, unless only temporary while improvements are being made.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Anything that gets us out of the Shoe I'm all for it. My dream would be to spend the money updating the shoe.Thus keeping games on campus. If that isn't going to happen I would much rather go to 5th third arena. Had two kids at TOSU. If you've never taken in a game at the Schott. your missing out. Great facility. We should have a similar place here. If basketball is big time at UC its time we upgrade the facilities.
If UC could get a YUM! Center type deal, where US Bank puts up the 100 mill and UC agrees to be a tenant for X number of years...I would be ecstatic. That is why I think this is a good possibility, UC is already upgrading Nippert, so not having to front the bill should be enticing.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I stopped reading right there.

Personally, I think moving games off campus for basketball especially is a terrible idea, unless only temporary while improvements are being made.
Cincycpaw LOl. My youngest boy was on athletic scholarship to TOSU and his younger sister followed him. Needless to say there are lots of heated sports discussions in my family. My oldest graduated form Dayton..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
If UC could get a YUM! Center type deal, where US Bank puts up the 100 mill and UC agrees to be a tenant for X number of years...I would be ecstatic. That is why I think this is a good possibility, UC is already upgrading Nippert, so not having to front the bill should be enticing.
I go to the games regardless but if we could get something equal to the Yum center I would be all for it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
This is the key. UC doesn't have the money to upgrade Nippert and 5/3rd. It was decided (and correctly IMO) to upgrade Nippert. If UC can play in a newly renovated arena that they didn't have to pay for, how can anyone be against that? So it isn't on campus. Big deal. The arena would be state of the art and a much better experience for the fans after the renovations (assuming they happen). I am sure the city would love to have the Bearcats down there to help fill out the arena schedule. An empty arena makes no money. Even if the city doesn't make a lot on UC games, it is still better than sitting empty. Hopefully this financially works out for UC if it happens.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
That arena brings back some really bad memories for me. The 80s were the dark ages of UC Basketball and not a lot of fans went to that arena to watch. The general consensus was that it was far less convenient to go downtown then to drive to the campus. Back then, games started at 8:00. Now with games starting at 7:00, that whole rush hour issue of getting off work, going home, rushing to get ready, then back out on the road still during rush hour and getting back to campus, will now be further complicated with having to get downtown. Plus, the single biggest issue to consider is the impact on the students. The students did not come to that arena at all. They have already been showing up less and less with the games on campus. If you take the games downtown, I think you'll have far fewer students at the games, especially if the team isn't a high profile, top rated team.

Now, I like that arena much more now than I did in the 80s. There still is absolutely no leg room in the seats. If someone wants out of the row, its a major pain because your stepping on feet, tripping over stuff, etc. It's a really tight squeeze. But, in general, I like the arena more than 5/3. And, most importantly, our record there is amazing. We have always played well there. I just think with the profile of the program the way it is today, the fans won't support us as well down there and we can't afford that right now. If we became a top level program again, the fans will follow you anywhere, but we're not there now.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
That arena brings back some really bad memories for me. The 80s were the dark ages of UC Basketball and not a lot of fans went to that arena to watch. The general consensus was that it was far less convenient to go downtown then to drive to the campus. Back then, games started at 8:00. Now with games starting at 7:00, that whole rush hour issue of getting off work, going home, rushing to get ready, then back out on the road still during rush hour and getting back to campus, will now be further complicated with having to get downtown. Plus, the single biggest issue to consider is the impact on the students. The students did not come to that arena at all. They have already been showing up less and less with the games on campus. If you take the games downtown, I think you'll have far fewer students at the games, especially if the team isn't a high profile, top rated team.

Now, I like that arena much more now than I did in the 80s. There still is absolutely no leg room in the seats. If someone wants out of the row, its a major pain because your stepping on feet, tripping over stuff, etc. It's a really tight squeeze. But, in general, I like the arena more than 5/3. And, most importantly, our record there is amazing. We have always played well there. I just think with the profile of the program the way it is today, the fans won't support us as well down there and we can't afford that right now. If we became a top level program again, the fans will follow you anywhere, but we're not there now.
Good Point L_T it really doesn't matter where you play if you can't sell it out. The attendence is picking up but will it continue to trend up if we move the games down town is the question?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
I don't think student attendance would be a huge issue. Providing some type of direct shuttle system for students would help a lot though
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote