Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Terry Nelson Podcast Interview Previewing Season

About an hour long. Includes Terry’s own recruiting stories involving test driving cars at the Jeff Wyler dealership shenanigans, condos on the beach, and reveals some really interesting insight to Brannen vs Mick in coaching styles, philosophy, and approach.

This is a really good listen.

https://247sports.com/college/cincin...son-137421891/
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
really good stuff. the ex players really seem to like the way brannen does things.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
About an hour long. Includes Terry’s own recruiting stories involving test driving cars at the Jeff Wyler dealership shenanigans, condos on the beach, and reveals some really interesting insight to Brannen vs Mick in coaching styles, philosophy, and approach.

This is a really good listen.

https://247sports.com/college/cincin...son-137421891/
I could listen to Terry all day long and he probably talked 90% of the time. Best podcast I can remember! What a treasure trove of information.

Some tidbits...

Cumberland may be the last guy we need to worry about but he doesn't like to practice as much as some of the others...LOL.

Scott will absolutely be the vocal leader of this team and has been a shining example in practice as well giving all out effort.

Williams...not much on him which doesn't scare me a lot because it just means there was a spotlight on some of the newcomers.

Mcneal...Terry says he is probably tied for most impressive thus far with Jaevin in practice. That's good news because they are both new! He is also a vocal leader and another lead by example effort guy as well. Says he is making a good % of his 3's as well and fits the system perfectly.

Jaevin...has been impressive and is just an assassin from 3. No lack of confidence.

Terry also talked a lot about Brannen. Knows what he wants and how to get the point across without yelling or benching. Is absolutely dedicated to sprinting to specific spots on the floor. Does not play favorites at all with Cumberland or frosh. He expects the same thing from all of them and that is to do your job and be where you are supposed to be. You better not pass up an open shot. He accepts and expects input from his other coaches which is a 180 from Cronin. The team likes him and he's easy to understand.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He accepts and expects input from his other coaches which is a 180 from Cronin.

This really stood out to me. I can't imagine a coach not wanting to use his coaches. I really liked the way Terry described each coach having a specific thing they work on and they have the ability to stop practice at any time to make sure its right. 6 or 8 eyes are a lot better than 2.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
This really stood out to me. I can't imagine a coach not wanting to use his coaches. I really liked the way Terry described each coach having a specific thing they work on and they have the ability to stop practice at any time to make sure its right. 6 or 8 eyes are a lot better than 2.
Yah that was an eye opener. I didn't know it was that extreme under Cronin but if you can't take advice that kind of limits your potential
Old 10-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Good listen. Lot of love for Brannen from previous players. I would have liked to hear more about some of the newer guys. That’s what I’m most curious about.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Coomer

Coomer is on a distinguished road
We’ve now heard Terry Nelson, James White (via Nelson), and DerMarr Johnson speak on the style of practice Brannen is running, specifically as to its “pro-style” and attention to detail on the offensive end. This leaves me very optimistic that he can immediately boost our offensive results, especially given some of the new talent we’ve brought in.

Also, it was great to finally hear someone excited about McNeal’s actual game, not just his leadership abilities and intangibles. I love the energy and leadership he brings to the table, but if he can’t knock down shots or guard there is only so far those intangibles can take you. Nelson was speaking highly of his ability to shoot in practice, as well as potential for being a + defender. This would be a big deal for the team’s season outlook.

Very good interview that only gets me more exited about the level this team can reach.
Coomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I could listen to Terry all day long and he probably talked 90% of the time. Best podcast I can remember! What a treasure trove of information.

Some tidbits...

Cumberland may be the last guy we need to worry about but he doesn't like to practice as much as some of the others...LOL.

Scott will absolutely be the vocal leader of this team and has been a shining example in practice as well giving all out effort.

Williams...not much on him which doesn't scare me a lot because it just means there was a spotlight on some of the newcomers.

Mcneal...Terry says he is probably tied for most impressive thus far with Jaevin in practice. That's good news because they are both new! He is also a vocal leader and another lead by example effort guy as well. Says he is making a good % of his 3's as well and fits the system perfectly.

Jaevin...has been impressive and is just an assassin from 3. No lack of confidence.

Terry also talked a lot about Brannen. Knows what he wants and how to get the point across without yelling or benching. Is absolutely dedicated to sprinting to specific spots on the floor. Does not play favorites at all with Cumberland or frosh. He expects the same thing from all of them and that is to do your job and be where you are supposed to be. You better not pass up an open shot. He accepts and expects input from his other coaches which is a 180 from Cronin. The team likes him and he's easy to understand.
I don't think Trevon and Jarron have too much to worry about. I am starting to wonder if Keith is going to be in the same category with McNeal and Jaevin in terms of minutes breakdown? They each provide something a little different and valuable on offense and the early hype from Terry was on the two newcomers. Harvey adds another piece in the mix and could be eating more of those minutes mid to late season. Even Trevor Moore. I would not bet too much on Woods or Davenport but who knows.

My main point is I am starting to think Keith is perhaps less of a sure thing than I thought in the beginning in terms of dominating minutes on the wing with Jarron. Jaevin is a baller and Brannen may favor having a PG out there. Harvey is very talented. Plus I think Williams tends to tire a little easier than some others.

The good thing is...even if Williams has to share more of those wing minutes it means we are in pretty damn good shape on the perimeter.

Also wondering about the silence on Diara/ Vogt/ and Sorolla from Terry. Was really hoping to hear more about ANY of them doing just OK...lol! I am starting to lean towards more small ball again with this latest podcast. I know it's just one and it's still early but that's just where I am for now.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think Trevon and Jarron have too much to worry about. I am starting to wonder if Keith is going to be in the same category with McNeal and Jaevin in terms of minutes breakdown? They each provide something a little different and valuable on offense and the early hype from Terry was on the two newcomers. Harvey adds another piece in the mix and could be eating more of those minutes mid to late season. Even Trevor Moore. I would not bet too much on Woods or Davenport but who knows.

My main point is I am starting to think Keith is perhaps less of a sure thing than I thought in the beginning in terms of dominating minutes on the wing with Jarron. Jaevin is a baller and Brannen may favor having a PG out there. Harvey is very talented. Plus I think Williams tends to tire a little easier than some others.

The good thing is...even if Williams has to share more of those wing minutes it means we are in pretty damn good shape on the perimeter.

Also wondering about the silence on Diara/ Vogt/ and Sorolla from Terry. Was really hoping to hear more about ANY of them doing just OK...lol! I am starting to lean towards more small ball again with this latest podcast. I know it's just one and it's still early but that's just where I am for now.
I was going to say the same thing. Also surprised not to hear about Harvey.

I don't think anyone has touched on what Nelson said about Moore yet: 1) Moore is going to miss the OSU game recovering from his injury and 2) Moore is going to have the greenest of lights to let it fly from deep this season.

Nelson took a jab at Mick (one of several) for touting Moore's shooting abilities as the "greatest" he's recruited while still restricting his shots and lowering his confidence over the past 2 years.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think they just didn’t have time to talk about everyone. As fans, we will always want more. I wouldn’t look at it as what style of play we will be playing
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote