Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #21
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Personally, I would like to see them try "no true point guard and no true center" lineups. I think Cumberland, Cumberland, Williams, Scott, Harvey would be the most talented lineup they could field. Nova won a title in 2016 starting 4 guards that were 6'3, 6'3, 6'5, and 6'6 along with a single big man. Swapping out one of the guards for a true PG would also be a quality lineup, but Scott should be a C more often than not.

There would be a problem with rim protection, but aside form Diarra I don't think this team has a rim protector whose flaws don't overwhelm the benefits. The 7-footers should be mostly watching if this team is going to be any good.
I think the mix-and-match approach is best until we see what works. I'd agree that Cumberland, Cumberland, Williams and Scott are our four best players. But from there, the 5th best player could be one of a number of players. I expect early in the season we will see a lot of variation until we figure out what works.

We'd be giving up a lot of size to the other team if we play small-ball with Scott as the center. It's worth trying and maybe it can be done, but I think we'd have to really excel on offense (and pressing/creating steals) with that line-up to make up for our lack of interior defense and rebounding.

With Diarra's athleticism, I wonder if we could also see a big-ball lineup at some point. Cumberland, Cumberland, Scott, Diarra and Vogt/Sorolla. Scott and Diarra both seem to have improved at ball handling and seem just as capable at shooting the three as any non-Cumberland on the team. Doubt we would play it much, but could be something interesting to try now and then.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Personally, I would like to see them try "no true point guard and no true center" lineups. I think Cumberland, Cumberland, Williams, Scott, Harvey would be the most talented lineup they could field. Nova won a title in 2016 starting 4 guards that were 6'3, 6'3, 6'5, and 6'6 along with a single big man. Swapping out one of the guards for a true PG would also be a quality lineup, but Scott should be a C more often than not.

There would be a problem with rim protection, but aside form Diarra I don't think this team has a rim protector whose flaws don't overwhelm the benefits. The 7-footers should be mostly watching if this team is going to be any good.

i just wanna see us put the 5 best players on the court together. i know, a crazy concept.

i think also we're going to see a lot of opponent specific lineups. slow it down half court games will probably see the 7-footers get some decent minutes. i can also see games where they barely even get in.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #23
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
They've put the Midnight Madness on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvh8ky9QRRc

LOL It was hardly madness. I know it's just supposed to be a scrimmage for fans but the quality of play has me a bit concerned. Luckily it's early and coach has time to work the players into shape. Mostly concerned with outside shooting, but the lack of effort from Vogt and Scarolla was alarming.

Big lack of movement on defense. Too much watching from everyone. Scott was a bright spot as far as effort, but he still struggled to dunk more than once. Can't understand that with his level of experience. We need finishers on the inside.

I try to balance negative and positive. This wasn't a real game and they've just started. I just expected to see guys looking a little more polished than this.
Not sure what you were watching lmao, I saw plenty of good things in the scrimmage. And we are not gonna struggle from deep this year, smh.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #24
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I think the mix-and-match approach is best until we see what works. I'd agree that Cumberland, Cumberland, Williams and Scott are our four best players. But from there, the 5th best player could be one of a number of players. I expect early in the season we will see a lot of variation until we figure out what works.

We'd be giving up a lot of size to the other team if we play small-ball with Scott as the center. It's worth trying and maybe it can be done, but I think we'd have to really excel on offense (and pressing/creating steals) with that line-up to make up for our lack of interior defense and rebounding.

With Diarra's athleticism, I wonder if we could also see a big-ball lineup at some point. Cumberland, Cumberland, Scott, Diarra and Vogt/Sorolla. Scott and Diarra both seem to have improved at ball handling and seem just as capable at shooting the three as any non-Cumberland on the team. Doubt we would play it much, but could be something interesting to try now and then.
I just fear that Vogt and Sorolla are not competitive high-level D-1 players. Both have been pretty ineffective against lesser competition, so unless they make huge strides they are going to get whipped in conference play.

A 7-footer who gets posterized 3 times a game and forces you to play 4-on-5 when you have the ball is not a benefit just because he is tall. I am more confident that Diarra and Scott can be effective in the middle than either of the BDWG
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #25
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just fear that Vogt and Sorolla are not competitive high-level D-1 players. Both have been pretty ineffective against lesser competition, so unless they make huge strides they are going to get whipped in conference play.

A 7-footer who gets posterized 3 times a game and forces you to play 4-on-5 when you have the ball is not a benefit just because he is tall. I am more confident that Diarra and Scott can be effective in the middle than either of the BDWG
Again didn’t really see much of that, I also saw how Sorolla can stretch the floor.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Again didn’t really see much of that, I also saw how Sorolla can stretch the floor.
I'm not sure what you were watching then. Sorolla played absolutely horrible defense and was lazy on offensive rebounding as well. The reason McNeal (among others) had such success getting to the basket is because Sorolla did basically nothing to protect the rim. It may have been because he was tired, but he also put up terrible offensive rebounding numbers last year - so he may just be lazy.

Sorolla looks the part - he has the height and muscle - but so far nothing indicates he is good enough to play at this level. He did show a nice shooting touch with the mid-range jumper.

Vogt did more defensively and rebounding-wise than Sorolla, but he still looks a bit skinny for his size and doesn't have any shooting ability.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #27
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Jarron will be okay and will be ready for 2019 season. Sleep well Bearcat fans!
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #28
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Dude was a bad backup center in the Missouri Valley Conference. What are the odds he has suddenly improved enough over the summer to be a credible rotation player against much tougher competition? Vogt was an ineffective and almost comically foul prone backup center in the Horizon league. These were places where their size would have been an even greater advantage, and they were not good.

Consider how good Cane Broome was against lower-level D1 competition compared to playing in the AAC. Broome's skillset was better suited to moving up in competition, and neither of these guys were effective in a small time league. The odds they are going to be better against players of greater ability is long.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #29
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
I get it that its all we have to work with right now, but i also cant believe people are taking anything from midnight madness. The team had a hardcore practice at 4 PM (they dont even do hardcore practices the day before real games, let alone the same day). Then the team spent the next 5-6 hours at the tailgate and the football game. THEN 3 hours later at 1 in the morning(maybe a little after) they scrimmaged for 13 minutes. If Jarron would have played we would be spending the next month talking about how much he regressed over the summer, luckily he didnt play, but now we get to talk about how bad everyone else is...yay
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
I get it that its all we have to work with right now, but i also cant believe people are taking anything from midnight madness. The team had a hardcore practice at 4 PM (they dont even do hardcore practices the day before real games, let alone the same day). Then the team spent the next 5-6 hours at the tailgate and the football game. THEN 3 hours later at 1 in the morning(maybe a little after) they scrimmaged for 13 minutes. If Jarron would have played we would be spending the next month talking about how much he regressed over the summer, luckily he didnt play, but now we get to talk about how bad everyone else is...yay
I agree...not much we can take from the scrimmage. Especially on D. I am sure the objective was to have fun and not get hurt.

But some of the main issues we all had before the scrimmage will likely still be issues that we have to find a way to hide. Mainly we need another shooter to step up and one of the 7 footers will have to be at least an average play for us if we are going to use them for a significant portion of any game.

If Harvey were a soph I would think we could play a lot of small ball...but he will have his growing pains I am sure. I think McNeal and Jaevin are the two players likely to be the most ready to play at this level after Jarron, SCott and Williams. We should probably use that lineup any time we can if we aren't getting abused inside or on the boards.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote