Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #61
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
I would say this is right, but we need to start balancing classes out. This is pure speculation on my part, but it seems like there is a very good chance Ellis will be redshirted. That will mean we have 3 bigs that are freshman in 2012. That is a lot to replace all at once down the road.
I don't worry about balanced classes because they almost always seem to get worked out. There is generally a lot of attrition, especially when the classes are so large.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #62
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I don't worry about balanced classes because they almost always seem to get worked out. There is generally a lot of attrition, especially when the classes are so large.
Agreed for the most part. There are the extreme cases though where it comes back to bite you- St. John's for example.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #63
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
Agreed for the most part. There are the extreme cases though where it comes back to bite you- St. John's for example.
How has it come back to bite SJU? They had a very good year mainly due to having so many veterans which exposes them to even more recruiting. Plus having so many vacancies allowed Lavin to build a great recruiting class and was able to sell many top recruits on playing time. I'd say it worked in favor of SJU.

Of course I'm not saying that it's ideal to have that large of a class, but you have to fill your needs and if it means a large unbalanced class, so be it. Get the best players and worry about class balance later. It generally works itself out.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #64
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
The win here is that IU is re-building. I cannot fault a kid in Indiana wanting to be a part of restoring the glory that is IU basketball. In fact, I can rejoice the fact that Thad Motta is not getting the top recruits from Indiana!

Kudos to Jeremy for finding a college home, I wish him nothing but success.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #65
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
How has it come back to bite SJU? They had a very good year mainly due to having so many veterans which exposes them to even more recruiting. Plus having so many vacancies allowed Lavin to build a great recruiting class and was able to sell many top recruits on playing time. I'd say it worked in favor of SJU.

Of course I'm not saying that it's ideal to have that large of a class, but you have to fill your needs and if it means a large unbalanced class, so be it. Get the best players and worry about class balance later. It generally works itself out.
Come back and talk to me after next year. The recruiting class is excellent, no doubt. But St. John's is going to struggle next year. That isn't a John Calipari or Thad Matta recruiting haul with one and done's. It's a bunch of very, very good college basketball players and I guarantee you there most certainly will be extensive growing pains as they will most likely start four freshmen and one sophomore.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #66
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Come back and talk to me after next year. The recruiting class is excellent, no doubt. But St. John's is going to struggle next year. That isn't a John Calipari or Thad Matta recruiting haul with one and done's. It's a bunch of very, very good college basketball players and I guarantee you there most certainly will be extensive growing pains as they will most likely start four freshmen and one sophomore.
Wrong.

It's a bunch of good high school basketball players.

The only returning player is Dwayne Polee, and his stats are very underwhelming...

SJU will struggle next year. That doesn't mean they won't win some games or beat a few teams they shouldn't, but they will be a vastly different team.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #67
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
I agree, but the unbalanced class allowed success this year and they will probably struggle a bit next year. It's a trade off, but in the next few years they will likely benefit greatly from it.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #68
adrock
Elite Member

adrock has a spectacular aura aboutadrock has a spectacular aura about
I think the point about unbalanced classes is that it never allows sustained success. It's always a 3-4 year cycle with 2 good years and 1-2 bad ones. Balancing your incoming and outgoing players over 4 years allows for consistent infusion of young talent while maintaining depth and experience. All other things being equal, balanced classes are better than unbalanced ones.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #69
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
It's one of the reasons they want to bring a juco big in. Balance is important.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #70
psax889906
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 View Post
Wrong.

It's a bunch of good high school basketball players.

The only returning player is Dwayne Polee, and his stats are very underwhelming...

SJU will struggle next year. That doesn't mean they won't win some games or beat a few teams they shouldn't, but they will be a vastly different team.
Quit undercutting me here BCA1, I'm trying to make a point!!!