Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
OT: Memphis

They got absolutely drilled tonight by Oklahoma State, Pastner is now 0-13 against ranked teams. I think they will be better by the time we play them, but I am now firmly convinced that he cannot coach....
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I got home just in time to catch the last couple minutes of the first half. I stopped watching about 5 minutes into the 2nd half. They looked like a bad mid-major team out there. The AAC is going to have to earn some respect to get more than 3-4 bids in the tournament, and having one of our marquee teams shit the bed with the whole country watching really hurts.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
I watched the entire game. Oklahoma state doesnt miss shots and they are all quick. By far the best team in the country. And Marcus Smart is hands down the best player in the country. I also kept catching my girl friend look away from the sopranos for this game and she doesnt even like watching basketball. All she was saying was, are you watching this game, They are soo good. ha
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
I watched the entire game. Oklahoma state doesnt miss shots and they are all quick. By far the best team in the country. And Marcus Smart is hands down the best player in the country. I also kept catching my girl friend look away from the sopranos for this game and she doesnt even like watching basketball. All she was saying was, are you watching this game, They are soo good. ha
To be decided in March... but Duke, Michigan State, and Kentucky (among others) would disagree with you.
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
coachpipe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdave View Post
To be decided in March... but Duke, Michigan State, and Kentucky (among others) would disagree with you.
I should have stated they are the best team in the country right now at this point in the season.... but they can disagree all they want. You can say memphis doesnt play well against ranked opponents and rankings this early in the year arent always accurate, but the number 7 team beat the number 11 team by 20 points. Putting 100 points on them with ease.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but after watching UK, Michigan state, duke, kentucky and kansas play already this young year, Oklahoma state has looked like the best team bar none. Obviously things can change throughout the year, but right now they have great chemistry and Marcus Smart has something to prove
Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
I should have stated they are the best team in the country right now at this point in the season.... but they can disagree all they want. You can say memphis doesnt play well against ranked opponents and rankings this early in the year arent always accurate, but the number 7 team beat the number 11 team by 20 points. Putting 100 points on them with ease.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but after watching UK, Michigan state, duke, kentucky and kansas play already this young year, Oklahoma state has looked like the best team bar none. Obviously things can change throughout the year, but right now they have great chemistry and Marcus Smart has something to prove
Anytime someone makes a statement like that, I just think its really absurd, especially in November. The best thing about basketball is that the championship is decided in March/April and not after a couple games into the season.
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
coachpipe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdave View Post
Anytime someone makes a statement like that, I just think its really absurd, especially in November. The best thing about basketball is that the championship is decided in March/April and not after a couple games into the season.
Like I said...at THIS time of the season..Yes its early in the season, but that doesnt mean they cant be playing Great basketball right now..why are you getting upset over my opinion on what I saw last night and in complimenting a really good team in OK state?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
I have had my doubts about Pastner since the day he got the job when Calipari left. One would think that a school that could get Calipari with all of their FedEX donation money, could have got a name coach.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
They got absolutely drilled tonight by Oklahoma State, Pastner is now 0-13 against ranked teams. I think they will be better by the time we play them, but I am now firmly convinced that he cannot coach....
Their defense fell apart fast, their back court can't guard well and aside from Nate King, they really lacked heart. Their offense was even worse, all driving and forcing up shots. It was all 1 vs 5 on offense every time down the floor.
I know Mick isn't an offensive guru, but he can weave, pick and roll or overload one side for an occasional 3. I saw squat from Memphis last night and their inability to stop Smart was embarrassing.

How do you have that kind of talent and suck so bad?
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
I remember thinking when Calipari left that Memphis would fall to irrelevance. Pastner has done a fantastic job so far of keeping the program going, but like many have already said, now he needs to show what he can do with all those highly ranked recruits. Either way, bad result last night for members of the AAC.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote