Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Just read Kochs article on him. The quotes from his coach just kept saying how dominant he was when he wanted to be; said he had an NBA body but had to improve his motor. Sounds vaguely familiar.
Here is the link:http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ent-2014-class
From things I've heard about him, he sounds like what you would have if you mashed Yancy Gates motor/skill set with Kelvin Gaines body.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Certainly don't want to be a downer, I've never watch any video on this kid but....just reading that article, I am not too hyped up about this get. What else ya got brewing coach?
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
bearcats5

bearcats5 is on a distinguished road
“Wichita State, Purdue, St Louis, Detroit,” DeBerry said. “Those are the schools that were calling me every day. There were a lot of others in contact.”

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Arti...innati--142482
bearcats5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcats5 View Post
“Wichita State, Purdue, St Louis, Detroit,” DeBerry said. “Those are the schools that were calling me every day. There were a lot of others in contact.”

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Arti...innati--142482
That's a nice list, he definitely has some talent, just needs a kick in the ass......
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
With the guards they got this year(hoping they all pan out) I see next years class to be mostly big men. Never hurts to have a lot of competition at 1 position
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
That's a nice list, he definitely has some talent, just needs a kick in the ass......
I'm not saying this as an indictment on how good this guy is, because he may be great and I hope Mick just got him early, but I wouldn't call that a nice list. I don't see any of those programs being close to where we all want and think UC is. Purdue is the closest and honestly I don't think they have too good of a program right now.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I'm not saying this as an indictment on how good this guy is, because he may be great and I hope Mick just got him early, but I wouldn't call that a nice list. I don't see any of those programs being close to where we all want and think UC is. Purdue is the closest and honestly I don't think they have too good of a program right now.
Wichita St. made the tourney the past 2 years and was a final four team this year, they are very good. St. Louis always seems to have a solid team. Detroit has had a few decent teams with Ray MacCllum. Purdue has struggled recently, but they are still a big name. DeBerry seems like an under-the-radar guy that schools like us would take a chance on. If you watch his highlights, he has good hands and some nice moves, his motor just seems to be lacking.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
a big man with some post-high school experience could help this team in a couple of ways...i really think it will help in practice especially, by providing competition and size amongst the bigs...in my opinion, it can only help in the development of Strickland...and from the sound of it (based upon coach's comments only), his length and athleticism could cause some disruption on the defensive side and exictement on the offensive end...i hope he can work on his foot work this year...excited for the kid and the team...

from the different videos on the recruiting page (which i really appreciate all the info and media the members post), i would like to still get Q Moore to build a solid foundation in big men...

Go Bearcats!
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
One thing that has been pretty obvious in the 2014 recruiting is that UC was going to try to land 2 bigs, a wing, and a guard. Considering that after this year, UC would have 1 big with any experience (Strickland) and this makes a ton of sense.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Wichita St. made the tourney the past 2 years and was a final four team this year, they are very good. St. Louis always seems to have a solid team. Detroit has had a few decent teams with Ray MacCllum. Purdue has struggled recently, but they are still a big name. DeBerry seems like an under-the-radar guy that schools like us would take a chance on. If you watch his highlights, he has good hands and some nice moves, his motor just seems to be lacking.
You can't teach size. The young man has natural attributes and some skill. Everyone seems to agree the potential is there so you take a guy with his natural gifts and it fills a hole in an area of need and gives you a guy with a couple years of development and experience under his wing. If it's a flyer it's only for two years and not four. If the lights comes on for him and Mick can find a way to motivate him consistently, you may have a steal.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote