Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Seniors and Juniors

It probably shouldn't be all that surprising to me that our veterans are doing one hell of a job at giving max effort. They are the one's who have heard it preached the longest. But I am a little surprised that guys, who were ALREADY giving a lot of effort in the past, have found a way to give MORE. They probably thought they were maxing out last year and they had nothing left to give.

It's surprising what a good motivational coach can get you to do.

SK, who I think ALWAYS gave max effort, has found a way to focus his efforts mentally to better maximize his performance. He is also giving EXTRA effort into coaching the younger players on the floor and being a true leader, even if it's not his presonality type. I might also add he seems to have made it a focused effort to make more FT's. And I mean that...16 of 17 come on.

JJ...one would think would not have ANY more effort to give. But he obviously did in the off season and I can see a completely different look on his face in games of "it's business time now" rather than "fun time". He wants to win and he wants his coach to know that he wants to win. He's always been good about jacking up his teamates and getting in their face with positive messages.

TR...it's not easy being able to guard EVERY position on the court...but he can. He has also transformed his offensive game and dedicated himself to getting to the basket rather than settling for outside shots. He rebounds and is also unselfish when it comes to assists. Being the BEST defender on a Mick Cronin team is all you need to know about effort.

JS...has been great to watch in the first two games. He has seen his effort getting him on the court 25 minutes plus a game...when I was seeing more like 10 after the exhibition matches. I was too hard on JS and I hope he continues his productive play.

GG...has shown he's not going to lose much time to TC because he is a "bulldog" as some have mentioned. He's just a hard nosed player for a PG which is not normal. His effort has seen him stay on the court for 25 minutes when a lot of people like myself doubted him.

I know that JDIII, ST and DN are trying thier butts off...and it will pay off in the end.

It's not only a testament to the players but also the coach for having instilled these virtues over their years. Well done veterans!! Our youngsters will learn by example and we will be awesome in the future because YOU gave more effort than you thought you had.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-14-2013 at 10:58 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I gotta tell ya this team was COACHED UP! I remember saying at the end of last year and the beginning of this one...if we didn't get a great amount of freshman production we would basically be an average team at best.

I was wrong. Coach did a great job of motivating his veterans to do better...which is also the same as "coaching them up". I know a lot of fans don't think Cronin is that type of coach...but I am starting to see the light now. The coach can't get every player to respond..but he can get some to respond...and he has.

I can't think for the life of me that JJ, TR, SK, JS and GG took it upon themselves to improve thier games without at least a little motivation from coach.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I gotta tell ya this team was COACHED UP! I remember saying at the end of last year and the beginning of this one...if we didn't get a great amount of freshman production we would basically be an average team at best.

I was wrong. Coach did a great job of motivating his veterans to do better...which is also the same as "coaching them up". I know a lot of fans don't think Cronin is that type of coach...but I am starting to see the light now. The coach can't get every player to respond..but he can get some to respond...and he has.

I can't think for the life of me that JJ, TR, SK, JS and GG took it upon themselves to improve thier games without at least a little motivation from coach.
I agree that Mick Cronin has done a good job getting guys to step up. He and the staff in my opinion had done a good job for years with inferior talent to the teams they've competed against. Something I think is overlooked. Mick is still the only coach in UC history to beat a higher seed in the NCAA tournament.

However, and I say this yearly, do not underestimate team leadership. Sk and JJ are doing a great job leading in practice and the locker room. It is an invaluable piece to have players who live and die as Bearcats. I'm not sure there has ever been anyone who loved being a Bearcat more than Sean Kilpatrick.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I agree that Mick Cronin has done a good job getting guys to step up. He and the staff in my opinion had done a good job for years with inferior talent to the teams they've competed against. Something I think is overlooked. Mick is still the only coach in UC history to beat a higher seed in the NCAA tournament.

However, and I say this yearly, do not underestimate team leadership. Sk and JJ are doing a great job leading in practice and the locker room. It is an invaluable piece to have players who live and die as Bearcats. I'm not sure there has ever been anyone who loved being a Bearcat more than Sean Kilpatrick.
you can add Titus to that list as it has been reported that Mick has also made him a captain.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
you can add Titus to that list as it has been reported that Mick has also made him a captain.
Just read that. I think he's earned it.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I didn't realize that about the only coach to beat a better seed. That's where lockdown defense can become an equalizer when there is a talent gap. What's promising is that we're now getting more talented & skilled players. If they can paly Cronin's style of defense, the Cats could become really scary.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I agree with you about leadership. Next year we are going to have to find one or two. Cronin will have to challenge someone to take the role. Nobody stands out at the moment.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree with you about leadership. Next year we are going to have to find one or two. Cronin will have to challenge someone to take the role. Nobody stands out at the moment.
It will sort itself out. it always does. Some one will step up. I perfer to worry about next year next year. Lets see how GG,JS and ST finish this year.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I think you could put Kenyon Martin up there in terms of loved being a Bearcat. There aren't many on that level for sure.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You do realize that when your getting a 1 to 4 seed almost every year, that there are very few opportunities to beat a higher seed. When you do get an opportunity, you're playing a 1 or 2 seed which is far more difficult than the Cronin teams have with the lower seeds we tend to get now and having to upset a middle of the pack seed.

Remember, Mick was going to take the program to the next step. You can argue that academically, that may have happened, but it certainly hasn't come close to happening on the court. I sat there the other night looking up at a pretty empty upper deck playing an ACC team and I was wondering where all those fans have gone.

You made a key point above when you praised him for winning with inferior talent. That is a good thing. But the fact that we always have inferior talent is not. When your accomplishments are winning with inferior talent, beating a higher seed in the NCAA tournament, and graduating your players, is that the next level we all wanted 7 years ago?
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote