Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I don't disagree with the minutes distribution at all, really. JDIII is a subpar defender, and I have no problem with Guyn, Caupain, and Johnson getting more minutes. I was just questioning what good it does to put a guy in for one minute and then yank him the first time he makes a mistake, then never put him back in the game. Unless he's trying to prove a point (which I guess he is), I just don't think it helps the player or the team. But I do trust Cronin. We're all here to debate -- none of us are D1 coaches, but it makes following the program more fun.
I should preface this by saying it's speculation and not based on inside knowledge, but I wonder if some of JDIII's lack of playing time is related to attitude, practice habits, work ethic, etc. With such a young team, Mick might be making the point to those guys that if you don't work hard you don't play no matter how long you've been in the program. I think Mick has made strides in creating the culture he's been wanting and he's going to be hyper-vigilant about protecting it.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
I should preface this by saying it's speculation and not based on inside knowledge, but I wonder if some of JDIII's lack of playing time is related to attitude, practice habits, work ethic, etc. With such a young team, Mick might be making the point to those guys that if you don't work hard you don't play no matter how long you've been in the program. I think Mick has made strides in creating the culture he's been wanting and he's going to be hyper-vigilant about protecting it.
Bearcat22 bottom line is MC is going to play the guys who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. For whatever reason JDIII has not convinced the coach that he is capable of performing at that level. He sees him everyday in practice and has for over 2 years. All the free JDIII banter should be directed at the player himself. Work hard,improve your game and earn more playing time. Convince the coach you deserve more run. That all starts in practice. In a profession like coaching that requires winning to keep your job burying players who could help to improve your chances is not a very practical approach to achieving success. It actually is more slanted the other direction were the better players are given more rope then the marginal guys.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Bearcat22 bottom line is MC is going to play the guys who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. For whatever reason JDIII has not convinced the coach that he is capable of performing at that level. He sees him everyday in practice and has for over 2 years. All the free JDIII banter should be directed at the player himself. Work hard,improve your game and earn more playing time. Convince the coach you deserve more run. That all starts in practice. In a profession like coaching that requires winning to keep your job burying players who could help to improve your chances is not a very practical approach to achieving success. It actually is more slanted the other direction were the better players are given more rope then the marginal guys.
Exactly right, Waite. The only problem with the quick hook for JDIII is that Mick has now destroyed what little (if any) confidence the kid has/had. He's now a deficit in his own mind. If it was me, I'd transfer if I had any down the line aspirations. Playing on the team is hard work and very time consuming. I'm sure he could play a lot of places, but, barring any player injuries, he's going to be getting lots of splinters from the bench - just like Zach (our token).
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
Exactly right, Waite. The only problem with the quick hook for JDIII is that Mick has now destroyed what little (if any) confidence the kid has/had. He's now a deficit in his own mind. If it was me, I'd transfer if I had any down the line aspirations. Playing on the team is hard work and very time consuming. I'm sure he could play a lot of places, but, barring any player injuries, he's going to be getting lots of splinters from the bench - just like Zach (our token).
captdale ,you do know its possible that JDIII has created his own predicament. Sometimes after all other methods have been exhausted tough love is a last resort. JDIII may be the responsible party for his predicament. Mick may have lite a fire in him. If not it may be time for him to go. I hope he is the type of kid who uses his situation as motivation and responds accordingly. If not it's not micks fault but JDIII. Accountability my friend it's a wonderful thing.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What did Eric Hicks do when he was suspended for behavior? What about Tony Bobbitt? They responded, big time. Maybe Mick is trying to light a fire under JD3 and see what he is really made of.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I like your point about the pressure of winning and that coaches will play the guys that give them the best chance to do so - which makes total sense. I think there's more to it though. It seems that coaches must also perform a risk management role for their team. Hypothetically, if JDIII were having attitude problems but was a dominant player he would probably see the court more than he does now. If the on the court performance doesn't exceed the grief he causes Mick in addition to the effect on a young team, he's not going to play. It hasn't been until recently that Mick has had the depth to do so. Gates and Bishop were disciplined at times but the on court performance, plus the lack of other available options, lead to them playing more (and Bishop being welcomed back on the team). It would be unfair to say those two didn't work hard to get back on the court too. In some ways it's like Jimmy Johnson's approach with the Dallas Cowboys. Michal Irvin got more latitude for behavioral issue than for instance the back-up fullback.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
captdale ,you do know its possible that JDIII has created his own predicament. Sometimes after all other methods have been exhausted tough love is a last resort. JDIII may be the responsible party for his predicament. Mick may have lite a fire in him. If not it may be time for him to go. I hope he is the type of kid who uses his situation as motivation and responds accordingly. If not it's not micks fault but JDIII. Accountability my friend it's a wonderful thing.
I guess we'll never know what goes on behind the scenes unless an insider airs the dirty laundry. That's why this thread has so much speculative rhetoric and conjecture on it.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #28
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess we'll never know what goes on behind the scenes unless an insider airs the dirty laundry. That's why this thread has so much speculative rhetoric and conjecture on it.
I will give you credit just for using the phrase "speculative rhetoric and conjecture".
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
I will give you credit just for using the phrase "speculative rhetoric and conjecture".
Your 1,000th post and you are giving someone else credit. What a team player!
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
CaptDale
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
That's because I went to UC
Unfortunately, I skipped most of my classes but still graduated (I have no idea how).