Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I don't get what everybody has seen in JDIII to get in such an uproar about. He seems like he can score, but only in garbage time without any real offense being run. Honestly he seems like a selfish player to me on the court. The second game when he got in late he put his head down when he got the ball and dribbled around until he took a contested shot, not even looking to pass. On defense he seems clueless. And the foul he commited in the game last night was a blatant reach in on a ball handler. He pouts on the bench and seems disinterested. When you are getting so precious few minutes these are things you don't do. This guy practices as many minutes as every other player on the team for Cronin to make an assessment of his game. I don't think he doesn't get in the games because he makes mistakes, I think he doesn't get in the game because he doesn't do what Cronin expects of him. And part of that is when you make a mistake, learn from it and stop doing it. The freshman are getting playing time and making mistakes. Young guys have to make mistakes to learn from them. I'm guessing they are showing signs of adjusting their games and learning. Cronin, as much as he hates guys making mistakes, knows that the freshman are going to come in and do dumb things and get turnovers. When they do that and they come off the floor, he or an assistant goes over to them and explains what they did wrong or why what they did led to a turnover or a foul. When JDIII gets in there I'm sure Cronin has told him what he expects of him and he is not living up to that. Every other player on this team knows Cronin's expectations of them and if they are getting minutes then they must be owning up to that. I for one am not concerned with why JDIII isn't playing.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #32
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat22 View Post
I like your point about the pressure of winning and that coaches will play the guys that give them the best chance to do so - which makes total sense. I think there's more to it though. It seems that coaches must also perform a risk management role for their team. Hypothetically, if JDIII were having attitude problems but was a dominant player he would probably see the court more than he does now. If the on the court performance doesn't exceed the grief he causes Mick in addition to the effect on a young team, he's not going to play. It hasn't been until recently that Mick has had the depth to do so. Gates and Bishop were disciplined at times but the on court performance, plus the lack of other available options, lead to them playing more (and Bishop being welcomed back on the team). It would be unfair to say those two didn't work hard to get back on the court too. In some ways it's like Jimmy Johnson's approach with the Dallas Cowboys. Michal Irvin got more latitude for behavioral issue than for instance the back-up fullback.

I think in Yancy's case, he was given "latitude" because of the situation he was thrown into. His problems weren't basketball related. Kid produced right away, he just wasn't a larger version of Danny Fortson(which I think is what people expected).
Bishop I'd give you. I mean, he didn't average a ton of points but he had a good handle, good defense, could shoot and did the grunt work. Certainly ready for the college game. I kind of miss watching him play.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I don't get what everybody has seen in JDIII to get in such an uproar about. He seems like he can score, but only in garbage time without any real offense being run. Honestly he seems like a selfish player to me on the court. The second game when he got in late he put his head down when he got the ball and dribbled around until he took a contested shot, not even looking to pass. On defense he seems clueless. And the foul he commited in the game last night was a blatant reach in on a ball handler. He pouts on the bench and seems disinterested. When you are getting so precious few minutes these are things you don't do. This guy practices as many minutes as every other player on the team for Cronin to make an assessment of his game. I don't think he doesn't get in the games because he makes mistakes, I think he doesn't get in the game because he doesn't do what Cronin expects of him. And part of that is when you make a mistake, learn from it and stop doing it. The freshman are getting playing time and making mistakes. Young guys have to make mistakes to learn from them. I'm guessing they are showing signs of adjusting their games and learning. Cronin, as much as he hates guys making mistakes, knows that the freshman are going to come in and do dumb things and get turnovers. When they do that and they come off the floor, he or an assistant goes over to them and explains what they did wrong or why what they did led to a turnover or a foul. When JDIII gets in there I'm sure Cronin has told him what he expects of him and he is not living up to that. Every other player on this team knows Cronin's expectations of them and if they are getting minutes then they must be owning up to that. I for one am not concerned with why JDIII isn't playing.
I can't say why JDIII isn't getting more minutes...but at this point I am going to stop wondering. Cronin has selected his team...and right now JDIII isn't a part of it. I will let Cronin decide how to answer this if he even wants to which I doubt he does.

I have always wondered but I am going to stop right now.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Here is what I would like to see as a fan (in a perfect world) at this point. Taking what I feel (as a fan) I would like to see on the court...and hedging that against what Cronin sees.

SK...32.5

JJ...32.5...if he can stay out of foul trouble

TR...28

ST...25 (maybe more)

JL...25...provided he keeps getting better

GG...20

TC...18...could stand to see more of him

JS...12.5

KJ...12.5 (maybe more)

JDIII...this one I defer to Cronin

Strickland...Depends on eligibility

DN...5 or less

Tobler...I am hoping for 5 becuase that means we are killin it

Last edited by waterhead; 11-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
Gotcha23

Gotcha23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can't say why JDIII isn't getting more minutes...but at this point I am going to stop wondering. Cronin has selected his team...and right now JDIII isn't a part of it. I will let Cronin decide how to answer this if he even wants to which I doubt he does.

I have always wondered but I am going to stop right now.
Yea I'm not sure why the fans continue to discuss JD. Obviously the kid isn't better than Troy or Guyn, if he was he'd be in the game. I'm not real sure JDIII will be here next year. We all saw how the Gaines situation shaped out.
Gotcha23 is offline   Reply With Quote