Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #21
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
You are the troll that wrote this gem of a post.

UC needs a real coach, Mick is not a good coach at all, there are more people on the team than SK, no disrespect to SK because he is a nice player but UC will only make it as fare as their Athleticisms takes them, because Mick Cornin can not coach and don't have the ability to coach a team to the promise land, or develop basketball players, that's why some of them look like they do. I feel bad for the 2014 class, if they have signed already, they should go somewhere else, where the knowledge of basketball is thick, and play for a coach who can develop kids and coach! Mick is not that guy.

Sorry But the truth.
Speaking of trolls.....
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I reall don't get the love affair with KJ. He is not ready at all. So far this season he is 6-7 on layups and 0fer everything else. Last night he airballed a 3 and missed a free throw. Last year people moaned every time that Titus shot a 3, KJ misses regularly, and badly, and gets love. Well this year they have made the same amouont of 3's, the only difference is Rubles is yet to shoot one this year. At this time last year Rubles was 1-9 from 3, Johnson is 0-10 this year. Sure he can run a pick and roll against a team that is going through its first year in D-1 and he can make a few layups. I have yet to see a scorer in him, the ball looks funny coming out of his hand. Everyone keeps saying his shot will fall....When?? And when it does I don't see him shooting over 30% from the floor.

As far as Jackson, yes he had a double double. He also missed about 8 lay ups and played volleyball on the rim and got about 5 rebounds that way. He was 5-13 from the floor, not ideal when all of his shots are in the lane.

The team lacked focus last night, Guyn had many open 3's that he missed, SK was poor from FT line, Rubles threw the ball away a ton, Jackson missed multiple layups and got beat at the back of the press multiple times. Sanders missed many wide open 3's. The team did not hit a 3 in the second half and went 0-10. Nobody looked sharp, maybe Caupain but that is about it.
I can't tell you if or when KJ's shots will start falling all I can tell is that I think they will. You might ask what would lead me to believe that. I would say because before the season started Mick referred to KJ as our best shooter of the incoming frosh. Honestly I don't care how he scores. If all he shoots are layups and he makes 3 per game I would be happy with that. He adds a lot on D and he moves well with and without the ball on O...he isn't stalling us out.

It's still early enough in the season to let him shoot and see if the light comes on. If this continues to be a major issue we can limit his shots in crucial situations in the future.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can't tell you if or when KJ's shots will start falling all I can tell is that I think they will. You might ask what would lead me to believe that. I would say because before the season started Mick referred to KJ as our best shooter of the incoming frosh. Honestly I don't care how he scores. If all he shoots are layups and he makes 3 per game I would be happy with that. He adds a lot on D and he moves well with and without the ball on O...he isn't stalling us out.

It's still early enough in the season to let him shoot and see if the light comes on. If this continues to be a major issue we can limit his shots in crucial situations in the future.
I'm surprised he said that. KJ shot 30% from 3 as a high school senior and 23% as a junior. And, honestly, averaging a little over 18 ppg against mostly smaller schools in high school isn't that impressive.

My point though isn't that KJ is a bad player -- I just don't think he's a shooter. However, he brings a ton to the table defensively and, as others said, moves well without the ball. I know Cronin has a tendency to let his guys fire away from beyond the arc, but just like Titus Rubles last season, I don't think he needs to be attempting 3's unless it's late in the shot clock.

I do not expect his shot to drop this season. Sure, he'll make a few eventually, but based on his high school stats and watching him so far this season, he needs to work further on his jump shooting before he starts jacking up 3's in game.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Great defensive effort.

Offense was bad tonight. Justin should have had 20+, was off shooting.

Titus never really got going tonight.

Caupain looked really good tonight.

Where has Sanders gone? After two good games at the start hes gone MIA.

Lawerence cant play over 10 minutes a game... hes just not ready at all. Its become increasingly apparent.
You either have it out for Lawrence or you have unrealistic expectations. Did you forget that he was injured most of last year with a wrist injury? Last time I checked, it is really hard to lift weights and get stronger when you can't use your wrist. Once the kid has time to get stronger he will be a force. The kid has a ton of talent.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

That is a bad, bad sign if he is our best Freshman shooter. Outside of the paint he has made zero percent of his shots, he is 23% overall, heck Titus was better than that last year and he is a PF. Doesn't bode well for Morman if this is indeed true that KJ is our best Frosh shooter. No wonder Caupain doesn't shoot much, just drives and shoots FT's. Maybe KJ needs to take a page out of his book and drive and get fouled and not be a jump shooter because obviously he isn't, at least not yet.

I agree that KJ is pretty good on defense, moves his feel well and knows to look for seams on the pick and roll. For a guy getting so much praise for his defense he has 1 steal and 1 assist this season. He also has 9 fouls and 13 pts in 65 mins of play this season. He may be a stud in 3-4 years but not close now. At this point in Ge Lawn Frosh year he was 5-10 from the floor and 3-6 from 3 in 50 mins of playing time and many many people still doubt him. Just don't et the KJ praise. He may be decent by his junior year.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-27-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
You either have it out for Lawrence or you have unrealistic expectations. Did you forget that he was injured most of last year with a wrist injury? Last time I checked, it is really hard to lift weights and get stronger when you can't use your wrist. Once the kid has time to get stronger he will be a force. The kid has a ton of talent.
There is zero doubt I have been very tough on the kid... But ill repeat. Hes not ready at all. A liability on defense and a turnover machine on offense. Hes playing bad ball.... vs bad teams. What is it going to look like vs top level teams?

While I do think he has potential, he will get stronger. He will get better. Here are my future concerns for him. I dont see him moving very fluently. Hes stiff. He wants zero part of contact (will get better with strength). His hands are terrible. Biggest concern, he gets the ball and spends to much time thinking. Basketball players who have to think on the court always concern me. To a point Yancy was like that.

Look while im perfectly fine with him getting minutes right now, once we play "real" teams his minutes have to drop. If Justin and Titus get in foul trouble we are in real trouble. That has been my point all year.

Looking at the stats last night, nice to see G put together a nice little game.. I wish he would have knocked down a few more open threes but ill take his game.

KJ might have the quickest burst on the team. Something this team has lacked for a while. His shooting isnt a concern... yet...

Last edited by TheLivingLegend; 11-27-2013 at 01:21 PM.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
There is zero doubt I have been very tough on the kid... But ill repeat. Hes not ready at all. A liability on defense and a turnover machine on offense. Hes playing bad ball.... vs bad teams. What is it going to look like vs top level teams?

While I do think he has potential, he will get stronger. He will get better. Here are my future concerns for him. I dont see him moving very fluently. Hes stiff. He wants zero part of contact (will get better with strength). His hands are terrible. Biggest concern, he gets the ball and spends to much time thinking. Basketball players who have to think on the court always concern me. To a point Yancy was like that.

Look while im perfectly fine with him getting minutes right now, once we play "real" teams his minutes have to drop. If Justin and Titus get in foul trouble we are in real trouble. That has been my point all year.

Looking at the stats last night, nice to see G put together a nice little game.. I wish he would have knocked down a few more open threes but ill take his game.

KJ might have the quickest burst on the team. Something this team has lacked for a while. His shooting isnt a concern... yet...
If Lawrence was ready and was strong, he wouldn't be in a Bearcat jersey, he would be wearing a Kentucky jersey. I have seen a few instances this year when he gets the ball and immediately takes a jumper or tries to drive, other times he does think but nowhere near the extent Yancy did. He does average 4.5 rebounds , 1 block , 1 steal per game, but also has 10 to's. That is a lot and a few of those are travelling calls where he gets started then forgets to dribble.

One huge huge x factor is JJ staying out of foul trouble. He cannot get any cheap fouls reaching or being stupid.

So you wish Ge would knock down some 3's but you are ok with the first SG off the bench shooting 23% and 0-10 from 3? His shooting is not of concern yet b/c of soft schedule and SK being more effecient.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is a bad, bad sign if he is our best Freshman shooter. Outside of the paint he has made zero percent of his shots, he is 23% overall, heck Titus was better than that last year and he is a PF. Doesn't bode well for Morman if this is indeed true that KJ is our best Frosh shooter. No wonder Caupain doesn't shoot much, just drives and shoots FT's. Maybe KJ needs to take a page out of his book and drive and get fouled and not be a jump shooter because obviously he isn't, at least not yet.
What reactionary garbage that is. Not every kid's transition to the college game is seemless. Unless of course, we're talking one and done lotto picks. It's a different speed, a different offense than they're used to in highschool. He may very well be red hot in practice, just because you can do well in practice and shoot around doesn't mean you're going to be hot shit when you get in the actual game. Saying don't shoot jump shots if he is a jump shooter, would just further hold him back. There's no such thing as a perfect college basketball team. There's always going to be growing pains.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
New people

New people is on a distinguished road
So, That's talking about the coach, Not what the kids are bringing to the team, Besides what's your point! regardless of what was said if you don't listen to MICK THAN YOU DON'T PLAY!
New people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm surprised he said that. KJ shot 30% from 3 as a high school senior and 23% as a junior. And, honestly, averaging a little over 18 ppg against mostly smaller schools in high school isn't that impressive.

My point though isn't that KJ is a bad player -- I just don't think he's a shooter. However, he brings a ton to the table defensively and, as others said, moves well without the ball. I know Cronin has a tendency to let his guys fire away from beyond the arc, but just like Titus Rubles last season, I don't think he needs to be attempting 3's unless it's late in the shot clock.

I do not expect his shot to drop this season. Sure, he'll make a few eventually, but based on his high school stats and watching him so far this season, he needs to work further on his jump shooting before he starts jacking up 3's in game.
That is interesting to know...thanks. I wonder why Cronin did say that? My main point is that there is mental block right now...it's not like the kid never could make a shot. The mental block will eventually go away.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote